Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

Trailering with full FW tanks?

I put 15k miles on my last TT, all of them with a full, 42-gal, Fresh Water (FW) tank (empty grey and black.). After buying my new JayFlight 248RBSW with Baja and Rocky Mountain packages, I am reading one should never travel with full FW tanks.
Can anybody say why that is? I find it difficult to believe Jayco doesn’t know how to support two 38-gal FW tanks inside a full liner.
Edpare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #2

Some people have posted they have lost their tanks.

I have towed short distances with full tanks, maybe 50 miles max.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #3

I think that many people just don't want to haul the extra weight. Personally I always have my tanks filled whether at home or heading out. Having a trailer or motor home full of water and the such also makes a nice emergency home. I live in Southern California and have my motor home basically ready in case there is a big earthquake or other natural disaster (visiting relatives?).

Yes the water weighs a lot but that is a given. If the tank cannot handle the weight then it was not properly installed. You can always peek under and see if it looks solid.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #4

The tank supports are (hopefully) enough to support the static weight of the tank ( about 350 pounds, if those are 42 US gallons).

However, when you bounce it up and down on a rough road, the dynamic load is considerably more, so a couple of good potholes could leave your tank in the dust.

If I had more confidence in Jayco construction standards, I'd say "go ahead"...
But I've looked under mine...

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #5

I always leave home with my 65 gallon tank full of soft water. My wife is fussy about her hair and prefers soft water when washing her hair...

Having once broke down crossing the desert in summer I was very glad my tank was full. The extra weight for me is not a concern when it comes to convenience and safety. It also helps reduce the buffeting from passing semi-trucks, as well as swaying in high crosswinds.

If my tank is refilled at a campground I always drain and sanitize it when I get home. While at home I keep it filled for any unforeseeable emergency.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Always travel with full FW-Tank. Always be sure the support hardware is strong enough and if in doubt have a professional RV mechanic look at it. Manufacturing processes are going the lean way, so I don't trust them.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #7

We always travel with 80gal fresh water for safety and convenience reasons.

We keep our FW nearly full in campgrounds, too. That was especially helpful in one campground where a failure of the city's pumps left the CG without water for a day.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:20 AM   #8

We run with 1/3 full so we can flush the toilet and navy shower if stuck. Also, we keep a couple of gallon milk hugs full in the bathroom. We never needed more than this even when we broke down.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpare View Post
I put 15k miles on my last TT, all of them with a full, 42-gal, Fresh Water (FW) tank (empty grey and black.). After buying my new JayFlight 248RBSW with Baja and Rocky Mountain packages, I am reading one should never travel with full FW tanks.
Can anybody say why that is? I find it difficult to believe Jayco doesn’t know how to support two 38-gal FW tanks inside a full liner.
I travel with about 1/3, 2/3 or full FW tanks, depending on where we are camping, and particularly how long.

I'll share a story about Jayco freshwater tanks though. Earlier this year, I took my 2017 J Flight 23RB in for some warranty work, specifically the FW tank monitor wasn't registering any longer. I know those things are notoriously inaccurate, but the FW monitor will usually be within ballpark.

They found that the ground wire had come loose. However, unbeknownst to me, since the bottom is covered with the Cloroplast covering, about 4 of the "clips" that hold the FW tank had already failed. The dealer replaced them under warranty.

So to your question, I guess Jayco doesn't know how to mount water tanks for long term service. IMO, those tanks should have metal straps from cross frame to cross frame to hold them in place.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #10

Thanks. We're going to have work done on the fresh water tank. Now we'll have that checked and fixed
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
We run with 1/3 full so we can flush the toilet and navy shower if stuck. Also, we keep a couple of gallon milk hugs full in the bathroom. We never needed more than this even when we broke down.
X2 and we follow pretty much the same plan. Why carry 250 lbs or more when you travel for a trip of more than a few hours. Just remember to stop and top off the tank if your destination site does not have full hookups.

This same strategy applies to 3 or 4 cases of water and drinks. Or loading up the pantry with heavy dry goods and supplies that are available nearer the end destination. Our last overnite on the road is always a WM superstore. We stop a bit early for dinner and an hour of shopping for the staples we need for a weeks stay at our end destination.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #12

I have towed my 242BHS about 100 miles on a flat stretch of I-70 from Denver to the KS state line with a full FW tank and had zero issues. Along with my EZ-Lift the extra weight actually significantly helped stabilize my rig in a crosswind and air displacement from passing tractor trailers. That being said, I would never pull a full FW tank up any grade, especially into the mountains here in CO. Good luck and have fun!!
Baker1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #13

I always fill my fresh water tanks, 2 tanks, 42 gallons each, and 6 gallon hot water tank.

When camping in the sawtooth mountains I don’t expect to have to search for water at my destination, also the closest Walmart to my camping destination (or any other major food chain) is actually in my home town, for me to go camp shopping at my destination is strictly for missed or depleted items.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:45 AM   #14

With my HT fifth wheel I previously had I nearly always carried a full tank of FW, or at least it started that way. The weight was ahead of the axle and made it tow better. Plus, I liked having the water in case I got where I was going and had issues. With my new fifth wheel, my understanding is that it’s behind the axles. I’ll tow some water in there for flushes, but I don’t want all that weight behind the axles slinging around.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:35 AM   #15

What is the point of a fresh water tank if you cannot fill it then travel?
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
X2

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #17

You can now make tour own softener for the trailer. You use a big blue 20" housing and buy a Pentek WS-20BB Water Softening Resin Filter, ( $42) it gives you 4500 gallons of soft water just like at home. started using i this year wife loves it
nynethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #18

Just a note here for all those who only partially fill their water tanks. RV Tanks are not baffled so when you only put a 1/3 or half load in your tank that allows the water to slosh back and forth as your are driving, creating dynamic forces on your tank walls and brackets which can lead to failure. If you fill the tank full the water doesn't slosh. If you are concerned about the tank falling out have it inspected by a RV mechanic and go with any recommendations. I keep my FW tank full at all times along with my propane. I have responded on 2 house fires where the family had enough stuff in their RV to get past their SHTF. On the on call the husband was pulling his RV out away from the house as we where pulling up in the fire engine.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #19
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
X3, unless the manual says not to travel with it full.

Quote:
RV Tanks are not baffled so when you only put a 1/3 or half load in your tank that allows the water to slosh back and forth as your are driving, creating dynamic forces on your tank walls and brackets which can lead to failure. If you fill the tank full the water doesn't slosh.
That too!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #20

We have the 174BH Baja. Typically drive 25 -30 miles one way gravel roads. Always full fresh tank. No issues.
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote