Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #1

Travel Trailer Leaning.

Good Morning Jayco Family,

We just towed our New to Us, 2015 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW, home yesterday. My MIL purchased it about a month ago and had parked it at a campground. The ground wasn't level and the trailer sat this way since last month.

While towing it home yesterday, my wife and I noticed the Trailer leaning to the right, toward the door side. The tanks had been drained before we left, and everything inside the trailer is fairly well towards the center.

Any Ideas what's the Causing the Lean? Was this from sitting this for about a month? How do I rectify this? It will now be kept in a storage lot parking lot.

I'm puzzled and and looking for help from those with Knowledge and Experience in this Group!

Thank You In Advance for Your Help!

Scott Armstrong
2020 F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3L Gas
2015 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW
Scott&Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #2

Check your suspension. You might have a broken shackle.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #3

Check air pressure in the tire(s), too. Sitting on unlevel ground shouldn't have anything to do with it leaning on level ground. Where you on level ground when noticing the lean? There is a crown in most roads that could make the trailer look like it's leaning towards the door side.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #4

I have this slight lean toward door side in my 2020 284BHS.. its only slight, but noticeable when looking through rearview mirror at trailer. Was speaking with a knowledgeable mechanic at dealer while getting some warranty stuff done.. he said "they all do that...go out on the lot and look at any of them." He went on to say Jayco was at the mercy of whomever is supplying the leaf springs and that the way they are loaded/assembled can create differing amounts of lean in differing units. Also said adding a leaf could just cause it to lean other side. I can't really notice when unhitched.. to my naked eye...looks like an inch or so difference when looking at alignment of rear window defrosting elements with the trailer siding... I dunno...not an engineer, but certainly would not be shocked about it to learn they didn't put extreme thought into the placement and balancing of stuff into their SLX line of trailers.
GoofyPilotGawrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #5

As already mentioned: inspect the suspension and tire pressure/condition before towing it again, and yes, many units are built with an imbalance of weight distribution. I experienced that with a 2020 HT 30.5 CKTS fifth wheel.
When you check your suspension, look at the shackles, springs, and the equalizer carefully. Depending on how many miles are on the unit, it would be very likely the shackle bolts, bushings and especially the shackle links (look for elongation of the holes) may need replacement, and check the distance from the top of each axle to the frame and compare to the opposite side. When looking at springs, the obvious crack is easy to see, but it's harder to see a spring that has been elongated without removal.
If you see anything questionable, have it checked by a reputable service if you cannot do all the work yourself.
You would also be wise to check the dates on the tires to see how old they are, and inspect them as well. They could be the original tires, which means it's time for replacement.
It's also likely you need check the wheel bearings and brakes. You probably have no idea how the previous owner maintained it.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:08 AM   #6

Travel Trailer Leaning

Good Morning Jayco Family,

Thank You for All of Your Replies! After the 4 hour trip towing our TT home for the first time, we parked it on level ground in a Storage lot.

When we took it out a few weeks later to camp the Lean is slight, but not as much. I think when it was parked leaning towards the door side for about a month, it had kind of settled that way.

Now, there is a slight Lean towards the Driver side, but it is not a pronounced as it was in the beginning.

I think it moving around, it has gotten back to normal.

Y'all have a Blessed Week!!!

Scott
Scott&Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:58 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Well, since it's new to you, you can't blame it on all the clothes your wife has packed compared to you!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #8

I had the same problem with my 2018 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 287BHS. I found that mine was also leaning to the right, door side, when returning from a camping trip and they had a "W" shape to them. I almost always have to block up wheels on the door side to get it level. My unit has an unloaded weight of 6,025# and a cargo capacity 1,475#, and add 365# of water brings it to a total weight of 7,865#. The stock springs were only rated at 3,500# each, so on a dual axle that's 7,000#. I live in the mountains so many of the roads are bumpy and my stock springs just couldn't handle the load.

My unit was out of warranty so it was up to me to resolve the situation. After some research, including ideas from this forum, I purchased two 4-leaf 4,000# trailer axles from eTrailer for $181.26 and installed them on my trailer. It took me about 1/2 day to replace mine. Those new springs also raised my trailer a few inches which helped with a the rear end dragging on my driveway. (I had to replace my 3 step stairs in the rear with a 2 step because the 3 step got bent shortly after I bought the trailer)
TRIBUTE100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:20 PM   #9

I am having the same problem. Do you remember what springs you ordered?
Thanks
thelawnman is offline   Reply With Quote