Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2022, 04:44 PM   #41

Where I live hsve to turn gas off if going on ferries or parkades
klirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #42

We keep the gas on. Its also able to run on 12 Volts but kills the battery after 4 hours on the road. So on long days we use gas. If we only go a couple of hours away we use the 12V setting
NockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #43

Been traveling with ours on gas for 3years now. Never have had any issues. Switch to shower at camp grounds automatically. Then switcback to gas automatically when traveling
MB56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:51 PM   #44

We do all the time and have never had a problem.
tgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Gas on, ask me why, well I'm glad you ask, the wife and I was going on a 1200+ miles trip and we had our gas off but by mistake, so we notice that our food wasn't cold so to make a long story short all of our food went bad, and man the little old lady was not happy, trust me so every time we start and when we stop for a rest break I always check it.
Happy wife, happy life!
saunterr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:07 PM   #46

Five days and counting!
Attached Images

😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:33 PM   #47

Yes and No

I think this is a matter of personal choice.
However, everytime I see ONE OF THESE

It make me wonder.

Have a great Summer!

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #48
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
And don’t forget the granddaddy of them all: “Gas vs. diesel?”
I'd argue "Tire Pressure" is the most entertaining.......
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:46 PM   #49

We leave ours running all the time 4 yrs as of now. Never a problem. But like everything with an RV to each his own.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:58 PM   #50

We've put over 50K miles towing since 2015. In those travels we have never seen an RV fire. Multiple RV crashes - yes. Some flipped and completely flattened leaving nothing but the frame and the propane tanks torn off - but no fire. We have seen at least one car fire alongside the road each season - oddly the majority of those seem to be in the Nampa/Boise, ID area for some reason....

If anyone is interested here is a link to a detailed report on RV fires from the Fire Prevention Research Foundation:

Fire Damage and Loss Assessment of Recreation Vehicles

Section 5 of the report contains all the detailed analysis of the gathered statistics. It is quite an interesting analysis and there are a lot of ways that RV fires can be started.

Also, here is a link to a short article from the National Fire Protection Association Journal on RV Safety which includes a link to the above detailed report as well:

NFPA RV Safety article

We always travel with the fridge on unless there a restrictions that require the propane be turned off like ferries or some tunnels. We also installed a Fridge Defend device that monitors the boiler temperature of the fridge when running - regardless of heat source - and automatically turns it off before any damage can be done if it exceeds a high temperature threshold. Regular inspection of the equipment along with a fire prevention device like the Fridge Defend in my opinion are key to continued safe travels.

However you are traveling - have a safe and pleasant trip!
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:32 AM   #51

Propane on except where illegal such as some tunnels.
We are careful around gas stations and try to fuel at an isolated pump, but aware that these are more prone to tampering.
If you like ice cream, leave the propane on - it's really very safe.
I believe the common manufacturer's caution on turning propane off while traveling is a CYA move.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:34 AM   #52

My firefighter-in-law says keep it off.
lrhogusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #53

I don't think it is really that unsafe but to each their own. But we travel in winter in cold and snowy places. If it's much below freezing I leave the heat on. My ducts and pipes are in the insulation below the floor and the tanks have the winter package so they are heated too. I have never had a problem.
Duramaxsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:38 AM   #54

While many will debate the safety of using the gas for the refrigerator while travelling (I don't have any concerns personally), no one should debate the danger that occurs if the food temp rises above 40 degrees (f) as there is a lot of proof and evidence that this is true.

Different foods have different tolerances (such as an orange compared to raw chicken), but generally speaking once a food reaches the unsafe temp, you need to cook it within a couple of hours or bring it back down to a safe temp. You can't do this though more than once, in other words if raw chicken (as an example, many other raw meats also) reaches the unsafe point, cooling it back down instead of cooking it and especially if you repeat this cycle, doing so will result in a dangerous situation.

As I pointed out earlier in this post, for sure food poisoning is a big issue that will certainly ruin your RV'ing adventure if it occurs. You should consider that the danger of food poisoning is the higher risk when the fridge is full of perishable foods vs the possibility of other dangers related to the gas flame burning that allows the fridge to keep the food at a safe temp. ~CA
Old 06-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #55

I think most here use fridge with gas as they travel. I have for 25+ years.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:59 AM   #56

Then we are in the minority. Never have traveled with gas on. 120,000 miles in six years . But with smaller refrigerators and a trailer rather than a coach.
We use the cooler principle. Frozen water in soda bottles can keep our refrigerated stuff cold during a day of travel during summer days.

Our bigger problem is actually keeping food from freezing until we hit a warmer state when we go south in the winter. For that we have a big insulated bag that keeps the cold air a little at bay.. The entire TT interior is a refrigerator at zero F outside. We learned the value of a insulated cooler in preventing things from freezing from my off the grid in winter girifriend who lives in the North Maine Woods.. Uses a cooler that way.. to help keep things from freezing. She has no power and has a hand pump well.
At any rate frozen lettuce is no treat.

We do what we do cause it make sense with our unit and our environment. Not because of safety concerns. More of a pocketbook concern.

A typical travel day for us means temps highs about 70. Not days and days of 110.. My daughter is in Dallas ; just went there from Connecticut. She is already wanting to come home.. 90 and above to her is inhuman.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:55 AM   #57

After 46 years of RV camping in many units I have always run the fridge on propane while travelling with the exception of ferries and tunnels. The problem of the flame blowing out was never dangerous (thermocouple makes it so) and after a few years of frustration I learned from an experienced tech that putting a window screen over the lower vent reduced the buffeting effect while not reducing the efficiency much if at all. Our last 5 units have had auto/electronic ignition so I've never found the fridge to be unlit. We used to have propane fueled one ton vans and kept a small propane fridge in those running without any problem but that was probably not the wisest....
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:47 AM   #58

Just got to thinking of the related questions of bringing food into Canada and not running our fridge. We have a seven hour drive across New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.. We stay at a KOA in North Sydney NS the night before our ferry transport to Newfoundland.

The ferry ride is seven hours long . So there will be no power of any sort to the fridge.

Back to the insulated cooler. I will be freezing food the night before and loading it into the cooler while we are in line for the ferry and putting it back in the fridge

There is plenty of fish to eat in NL but ground beef hard to find

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #59

WE did the ferry run with a plug in cooler and just added a couple of pop bottles of ice in the morning...Didn't want the truck battery dead on arrival . We didn't take the RV that time. Had a tasty Quid Vidi on the way over!!!
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #60

Prior (many years ago) to having an RV I would use an ice chest with plenty of ice in it, worked well for an entire weekend of camping. That is what I would do now if my fridge was unable to run for any extended period of time. ~CA