Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #1

Travel with table up

Is it safe to travel with the table up and in the ready to use position. It is a Pain to take it down all the time and store the legs. For some reason the dealer told us not to travel with the table up. i wanted to see if there was anything to that.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

What rv do you have? Tables vary.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #3

Jayco 264BH 2018

its a booth the table has 2 unruly round legs that stick into the floor.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #4

I travel with my table up.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Team

I have the same table type and travel with it up all the time.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #6

I travel with mine down in my 28BHBE. A good friend travels with his up and he has replaced the table "sockets" in the floor almost every year for the last 5 years.....and when he was helping me pack up last year he asked why I'm putting the table down in preparation for traveling I mentioned to him that during my walk through with the dealer they recommended that the table is down for travel...... my friend said he must have missed or forgot that part during his walk through!
skiingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #7

We leave ours up, and have in other TT's as well. But, you do have a point.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
we have the 26BH that has the foldable legs on the table ...... what a pain in the @$$. Tables heavy, and not the easiest to fold the legs, but have no choice, because the table likes to dance while going down the road, and we are worried it will go thru the window on a big bump! If i had the two posts into the floor, it would stay up.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
we have the 26BH that has the foldable legs on the table ...... what a pain in the @$$. Tables heavy, and not the easiest to fold the legs, but have no choice, because the table likes to dance while going down the road, and we are worried it will go thru the window on a big bump! If i had the two posts into the floor, it would stay up.
We have the 26BH too, with the foldable, metal table like you. Horrible table. Takes two people to safely fold it, even then it's difficult, and it must be folded for travel. I modified ours so the table attaches to the floor, and the top of the table is secured, but in a way that would take a while to describe here. So I won't. It is one lousy table that they put in a LOT of their trailers. Dumb.

About the only thing that could be worse is the table the OP has. Pedestal style with the two removable legs. Ugh. They WOBBLE. If I had one, and I hadn't burned it yet, I would definitely remove it when traveling. The sockets on the floor for the legs simply aren't robust enough to provide good support when using the table or going down the road.

If only Jayco would wise up and have a little less height to the window at the dinette. A few inches shorter, off the bottom, would allow the dinette table to anchor on the wall, and not have to be lowered when driving. Duh. And when you lower it to make a bed, it would be much easier. And, they'd save money on a smaller window. And, probably save money on hardware too.

Just further proof that nobody at Jayco actually tests their designs for a week or so.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #10

You don’t really want to travel with the table up. Over time with the bumps in the road the flanged grommets the legs push into eventually get loosened up and you will end up having to replace them. This is not a theory it is from actual experance.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #11

Our old 26BH had the two removable round tube legs and we traveled with the table up for almost 6 years with no issues.

There's no way I'd consider traveling with the table up in our 28BHBE....the elaborate ironing board style legs are not anchored to anything.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
We have the 26BH too, with the foldable, metal table like you. Horrible table. Takes two people to safely fold it, even then it's difficult, and it must be folded for travel. I modified ours so the table attaches to the floor, and the top of the table is secured, but in a way that would take a while to describe here. So I won't. It is one lousy table that they put in a LOT of their trailers. Dumb.

About the only thing that could be worse is the table the OP has. Pedestal style with the two removable legs. Ugh. They WOBBLE. If I had one, and I hadn't burned it yet, I would definitely remove it when traveling. The sockets on the floor for the legs simply aren't robust enough to provide good support when using the table or going down the road.

If only Jayco would wise up and have a little less height to the window at the dinette. A few inches shorter, off the bottom, would allow the dinette table to anchor on the wall, and not have to be lowered when driving. Duh. And when you lower it to make a bed, it would be much easier. And, they'd save money on a smaller window. And, probably save money on hardware too.

Just further proof that nobody at Jayco actually tests their designs for a week or so.
I have the same ironing board style table and it is a pain to fold but I can do it on my own. We rented a 26bh before we purchased and when I got the trailer the table was up and we did not lower it. Seemed fine, but I did think the window was too low and it was an issue with getting stuff in the way. I would however still want one I could move to be able to clean it easier, more so for my u dinette than the 26bh booth style.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 AM   #13

Amen to every thing you've mentioned. That "newfangled" table Jayco is putting in their trailers now is horrible. I'm sure on paper or in theory, it was an improvement over the simple table with a couple of posts. But in real life it is not. And by the way, the other "selling point" of that "newfangled" table was since it's movable, it can be taken out doors when needed. Baloney. It's too heavy and cumbersome to easily take in and out.

My wife and I found that table to be too heavy, and too cumbersome to put up and take down every time we moved the trailer. I fixed that problem by just taking it out of the table and storing it at the house. We just use portable TV trays now.

As for the window being too low, spot on again. Why Jayco designers thinks this is such a hot idea is mind boggling. It's an open invitation for that monstrous table to smash into the shades, and to bump the window. And with that table there, one can't see the vistas anyway. That window, in the 23RB at least, should come no lower than just above the height of the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #14

We have the 2014 Flight 26BH with the solid leg table. We travel with it in place. I might need to look at the braces to see if they are coming loose???
Thanks, Mike
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #15

You think someone could come up with a good table option.
And why does the table have to be so heavy.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:14 AM   #16

If you travel with the table down that's find and dandy, but I would suggest not leaving the table down for long periods of time. Gravity will take its toll and the table will bow. Mine has done it slightly already. I was pissed at first when I noticed it, but then when my 2yr old spilled a drink on it, the slight curve held the spill and prevented it from going all over the floor and seats. So maybe I'm ok with it, not sure yet.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #17

Our 23MBH has the same double round legs and I wouldn't travel with it up. The table is in the slide and the slide floor is only 3/4" thick and seems quite flimsy when the slide is in and there's lot's of wobble. We don't always travel the smoothest of roads so all that extra stress on the slide floor can't be good for it. Besides, I usually put my sons bike on the collapsed table when we travel.
sd396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #18

We recently traveled from Boerne, TX to Houston and back. All paved highway with nothing real rough. On return trip we stopped for fuel and I went in trailer to find table tipped toward refrigerator. If it went a couple of more inches probably would have done considerable damage to refrigerator door. I will be following this thread to see if anyone comes up with a good way to secure table. I will do something before next trip.

2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins 5.0 diesel
elkivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #19

Our Jayco table is screwed to the floor and stays put. We also have a Surveyor with a portable table and it stays put while traveling. The window on it is above the table. Our portable table is not heavy or hard to handle.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
Is it safe to travel with the table up and in the ready to use position. It is a Pain to take it down all the time and store the legs. For some reason the dealer told us not to travel with the table up. i wanted to see if there was anything to that.
I have traveled with table up coast to coast for over 20,000 miles in the past 3 years & never had a problem.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote