Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 AM   #1

Travel with Water in Tank

This may be very basic but ....as a new owner of 2012 28BHS we have a concern. We camp at some Michigan State parks which do not offer water service beyond a spicket located at a couple of remote sites. We are wondering if we can get by with say half a tank of fresh water in our tank and still travel the 10 miles to the campsite? I know its a matter of weight on the tires so can anyone advise on how they handle this type of primitive camping?
johndiwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #2

We have well water at the home place in Luray, VA, and think it superior in taste to most campground water. Therefore, we always fill up our fresh water tank prior to leaving, and use it for drinking and cooking. We only use the city water at campground for showers and such. We have never had a problem with the extra weight on the tires. If you look at the spec on your unit, there should be a max gross weight, and if you have a full or half-full tank of water, it might reduce the amount of weight available for clothing, food, people, and so forth, but unless you are already close to that max gross weight, there should be no problem. Tires will probably be rated for a little more than the max gross weight, regardless of what is adding that weight. Hope this helps.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
Site Team

Folks do it all the time when boondocking or whenever water is not available. I have traveled to SP`s in our area with no water hook up in our 28 BHS with full tank of water (59 gallons). I believe your 2012 has an even larger capacity, around 90 gallons in two separate tanks. As said you have to watch your total weight, including how much stuff you bring. Half full tanks going ten miles is not a problem, go for it!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum JohnDWill! Just a thought, is there a chance that you can get to cat scales to weigh your tt loaded the way you will travel? That subtracted from the GVWR of your tt will let you know how much wiggle room you have for the extra water. The front street side of your has a sticker showing the weight of a gallon of water. Our's loaded with a quarter tank of water is about 500-600 lbs less than the GVWR. Hope this suggestion helps as I'm not one of those techie's here Congrats on your new tt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #5

For just a short trip I would fill the tank to the top. You will have a lot less slosh going on. The tanks do not have baffles.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

johndiwill,

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

As others have said, watch the weight of the fresh water you carry, but more important know how it impacts your TT tongue weight. If the fresh water tank is to the rear of the TT axles you may unload weight from the tongue creating the potential for a sway event, even a mile away from home.

I to camp at Michigan State Parks, and will also go with some water in my fresh water tank (weights good in my case). I also have a plastic 6 gallon jug so that I can get water from the remote spigots to pour into my TT fresh water tank as needed....., works for me.

I also keep the same 6 gallon jug of water on the end of the picnic table for washing hands, feet, etc.., thus conserving battery energy (when electric isn't at the site) and the water in the TT tank while boondocking.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
snip.......I guess I'm entitled to a knucklehead moment once in a while ........snip
I have more than I care to admit as well

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote