Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2021, 01:14 PM   #21

Another vote for GY Endurance. When it comes to our safety, I’m not concerned about an extra $100 or so. As for generators, friends who have Champions have nothing but good to say, both quality and support.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #22

gn87turbo, if I had your unit, I would get the Goodyear Endurance 205/75/15D tire. That way you go up 1 load range for increased safety without the possible harsh ride from too stiff of a tire. As far as generators go, I own a Champion open frame that I don’t use in campgrounds. I have had no problems in over 400 hours and they have the best customer support of any company that I have ever dealt with. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #23

Will for sure check out the Goodyear tires. I would assume they also have a higher speed rating than the Maxxis. Not wanting to break the land speed record while towing but have the ability to travel 70mph on the interstate.
gn87turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn87turbo View Post
Will for sure check out the Goodyear tires. I would assume they also have a higher speed rating than the Maxxis. Not wanting to break the land speed record while towing but have the ability to travel 70mph on the interstate.
The GY load range E's that they put on my camper are speed rated to 87mph The speed rating is 'N'. I don't plan on getting anywhere close to that, but this is substantially better than the stock tires they replaced. I never felt that comfortable taking my trailer over 55 with the old ones.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:21 PM   #25

Any of you use or recommend a fuel card? My tow rig will be a 2009 GMC 2500 Duramax. Thanks
Old 02-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Any of you use or recommend a fuel card? My tow rig will be a 2009 GMC 2500 Duramax. Thanks
My grocery store (owned by Kroger but has a different name) has a discount card called the 'king soopers card' that we plug in every time we buy groceries from them. It's not a credit card or anything, but we need to swipe it at the register to get additional coupons and discounts at the register. Every hundred dollars spent in groceries gets us 10 cents off per gallon at any Kroger owned gas station, including most Shell stations. It tops out around 60 cents a gallon max rebate I think..

I've saved a small fortune using it over the years, but it is primairly a 'local' option. Once I get out on the road, God knows what gas station I'll run into when I need to fuel up. I usually use my Cabela's card to pay for the fuel so I can track the costs easier, and get points that way too, which are obviously used on other items

I know some of the bigger truck stop chains have fuel programs, might be worth looking into. I always figured they are designed for CDL holders and people that burn more fuel in a couple weeks than I probably do all year.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #27

Back up camera

Just had a blue tooth pioneer receiver and back up camera install done on my 2009 GMC 2500. This is the location the installer used for the backup camera. Very concerned about this long term. Anyone else had one of these installed?
Attached Thumbnails
F13E37FB-C34A-4ACE-89F6-74306B3F653C.jpg  
Old 02-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Just had a blue tooth pioneer receiver and back up camera install done on my 2009 GMC 2500. This is the location the installer used for the backup camera. Very concerned about this long term. Anyone else had one of these installed?
I have a Hopkins backup/hitch camera that is similar. It has a camera and left and right sensors mounted on what is essentially a license plate bracket. It’s pretty solid and I’ve never had any problems. It is hardwired into my backup lights with a wire running up to my dash top monitor. I’m not sure I’d want a camera affixed only to the edge of the license plate, unless it is really secure.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #29

Pay the difference save the headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Another vote for GY Endurance. When it comes to our safety, I’m not concerned about an extra $100 or so. As for generators, friends who have Champions have nothing but good to say, both quality and support.
Great advice.
Anything that keeps you from having to change a tire along side the road or in the pouring rain is worth it in my book!

-Marko-

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
First, great trip to west, second, go for the E rating, overkill on tires good thing, third, check out the 4500 dual fuel Westinghouse inverter w/remote start. Been using mine for 3 years/600+ hours. No issues, runs my 50 amp Northpoint dual a/c, convection microwave, residential fridge etc.
Happy camping.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:21 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Gasbudy

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Agreed, I'm not concerned about the extra $100 or so either, but the Carlisle Radial Trail HD is just as good a the GY, for at least $100 less. Why spend more when you don't have to? I went from LRC to LRD tires. My rims could handle 80PSI, so it seemed like a good idea. I also got my tires balanced. The wear is great, I'm going into my 3rd seasons now with these tires and about 20,000km on them so far.

For me, a Honda 2000W generator runs the AC on our 2015 Jayco Whitehawk. It's probably a 13.5k unit, instead of the 15k.

I just did the MorRyde shackle upgrade. Our shackles visibly looked okay, but once I got the weight off the axles, they were pretty worn out. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way!
Old 02-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #33

Absolutely go to biggest Goodyear Endurance you can fit. It will give you piece of mind. I have 30,000+ miles with them on my light little 3,500# rig. Still like new but will swap them out next year if they last this summer. Can't carry more than the GVW of the axel, but the bigger tire gives you more weight "surplus" and greater speed.

And Wyoming is a fantastic state to visit! Wishing you a great time with lots of good memories to bring back home.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Hey all, I'm a fairly new owner of a 2010 Jayco Jayflight 26bh. We are planning a trip form southwestern, VA to Wyoming this summer. I have some questions if would appreciate some advice on:

1. I'm replacing all of my travel tires and I'm reading good things about the Goodyear Assurance. Is E load rated tires necessary for my trailer? The D load rating would work and I'm assuming and not have a stiff sidewall

2. What generator would you recommend? Looked at some Champion at Tractor Supply, which seems to have decent reviews. Also what size would I need to work my 13,500 btu ac unit.

Any other advice????
Wyoming Travel, be prepared for high elevations 5-9,000ft. Make sure your vehicle is checked out before traveling. Last summer was overwhelming for camping. Many folks could not get reservations and were forced to boondock on public BLM land. Enjoy your stay, plenty of sight seeing to do.
Rusty465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #35

Forced to boondock on BLM land? What a blessing...
Old 02-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #36

I have a 2006 26BHS that I only use now for boondocking during deer season (fall time so no A/C needed). I have both a 2000W inverter and a 3500W generator.

The 2000W inverter is light and only uses about 1/2 gallon of gas for around 8 hrs with recharging my battery and running my CPAP overnight. It will not run the microwave unless I make sure nothing else is running. If I do, then it really bogs down to where I think it will either damage the inverter or microwave. And if anything else is running when trying to microwave, the inverter will shut down. So I tend not to use it to microwave with it. However on my 5th wheel (non-Jayco) I had Easy-starts added to both A/C's and if needed the 2000W will run at least one of them with no problem. I have had no reason to try to see if the inverter will run the A/C on the TT but I imagine it won't as the TT has no Easy-start on the A/C.

The 3500W generator is heavier and will run the microwave with ease when anything else is running. However it will use roughly 2.5 gallons of gas to run 8-10 hours. I have not tested it running an A/C, but I imagine it will do the job. I bought the 3500W before inverters were the thing.

One thing is to make sure you do get an inverter whether it be a 2000W or 3500W one. They will be nicer on all your electronic stuff and quieter then a generator.

Good luck and be safe
Old 02-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #37

Have had the best luck w Endurance. And got them at Discount Tire which I also recommend.

Don't know about generators but sure wish I'd had one a few days ago when power went out from ice storm at Cane Creek State Park in SE Arkansas.
My inverter is out so even gas furnace and any lights were drainng batteries seriously.

Oh well, RV adventures roll on...
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #38

I installed easy start on my living room ac. Can run it from econ mode on my 2200 Honda and it is 1500 btu. My unit has the 5500 Onan but it uses fuel. The Honda is easy to move around. I also have a Honda 3500 but it stays at my camp and is heavy to move around. G rated tires will take 110 psi but your rims are only rated for 80. Remember that if u go to g rated tires.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
First, great trip to west, second, go for the E rating, overkill on tires good thing, third, check out the 4500 dual fuel Westinghouse inverter w/remote start. Been using mine for 3 years/600+ hours. No issues, runs my 50 amp Northpoint dual a/c, convection microwave, residential fridge etc.
Happy camping.
Dont you need to make sure your rims can support E rated tires?
Rims are stamped on the inside.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Hey all, I'm a fairly new owner of a 2010 Jayco Jayflight 26bh. We are planning a trip form southwestern, VA to Wyoming this summer. I have some questions if would appreciate some advice on:

1. I'm replacing all of my travel tires and I'm reading good things about the Goodyear Assurance. Is E load rated tires necessary for my trailer? The D load rating would work and I'm assuming and not have a stiff sidewall

2. What generator would you recommend? Looked at some Champion at Tractor Supply, which seems to have decent reviews. Also what size would I need to work my 13,500 btu ac unit.

Any other advice????
To be safe & give you a few extra amps for lighting, small appliances, etc. I would go with a 3,000 W generator. As the old saying goes- you get what you pay for- the best & quietest is Honda. Having RV's for over 56 years- you learn!

As others have said- extra 5 gal gas, good tool box, spare tire & jack for the trailer is a good idea. I assume your tow vehicle has a spare also.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote