Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #41

Regarding the generator, know that you'll have a serious reduction in power output at higher altitudes. I'm in Colorado and have a 1800/2300 watt Ryobi, found out I can't even run the microwave without overloading the generator. I live at about 5k altitude and routinely camp at 8-9k, including up in Wyoming, and m-wave overloads it everywhere. Nevermind trying to run AC. Even took it in for warranty and repair shop said it was working fine, just had to accept altitude would limit its utility. So, if you get a 2400 watt that works ok back east, probably not gonna work to do much more than recharge your battery in WY. However, I haven't actually needed to use AC even in mid-summer anywhere I've camped in WY as it's low humidity and cools off nicely at night.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:38 PM   #42

I know I'm going to get push-back on our recommendation, but we've had great luck with our Harbor Freight "Predator 3500W" inverter. The unit only cost about $700 and powers everything in our TT and runs very quiet.

When dry camping or boondocking, we only use the unit a couple hours in the morning and about the same in the evening, so a tank of gas will last us 3 to 5 days. Harbor Freight has been good with their return policy and have store locations all over the place on the west coast.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:27 PM   #43

The HFT Predator is a fine generator.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn87turbo View Post
Hey all, I'm a fairly new owner of a 2010 Jayco Jayflight 26bh. We are planning a trip form southwestern, VA to Wyoming this summer. I have some questions if would appreciate some advice on:

1. I'm replacing all of my travel tires and I'm reading good things about the Goodyear Assurance. Is E load rated tires necessary for my trailer? The D load rating would work and I'm assuming and not have a stiff sidewall

2. What generator would you recommend? Looked at some Champion at Tractor Supply, which seems to have decent reviews. Also what size would I need to work my 13,500 btu ac unit.

Any other advice????
Congrats on the planned Wyoming trip. I made an 8 week 5600 mile western trip in 2017 when I retired. It was the most fun trip of my life.

If I were you I would upgrade to the E rated tires it's good insurance. My Jayco came with the Goodyear Endurance tire upgrade when I bought it and I have been very happy with them. Over the last 3 campers and 10 years I have had BFG Commercial TA's and Carlisle (can't remember the model) but both those were good as well. My GY Endurance on mine now have about 12,000 miles and show no wear and they came with nitrogen filled and I have never had to add air (knock on wood).

I have 2 Honda's a 2000I and a 2000 companion generator that hook together to equal 3200 continuous watts (new in 2017) that have never failed to start and 1 of them will run 1 AC on my camper. They weigh 45lbs each making them easy to handle. Nobody makes a quieter generator than Honda. There are campgrounds that wont let you use a generator after a certain time unless it is a Honda because of the noise.

Other advice, take your time if you can and see everything along the way. We had a great time because I had micro planned my trip and I knew exactly what there was to see at every stop. I have my itinerary in Excel or PDF if you would like a copy just send me PM and your email address. It has all the campgrounds I stayed at along the way. I live in East Tennessee. I had been in a lot of the places I went on this trip in earlier years on backpacking trips out west between 1997-2012, that made it easier for me to know what I wanted to show my wife and 2 grandsons. It was a blast.

My longest drive between stops was 378 miles and most were slightly less than 300.

Take a few spare parts that you feel you might need (that's hard to pick). I took a spare fresh water pump and I needed it in West Yellowstone, Mo. took about 30 minutes to change out saved me probably a day or maybe way longer if I had not had a spare. Had to change an engine air filter in Iowa to put out a check engine light. Had my oil changed in Loveland Co. Ford dealer because of the mileage and it was all miles under tow. I would definitely pull the trailer hubs and be sure the brakes are good, repack the bearings, tune the brake adjustment on a short trip around home before leaving. If you are not familiar with where you are going do a little research on not only the area but the weather. Left West Yellowstone on June 25th to go to Flagg Ranch between Yellowstone and the Tetons it was 28 degrees and drove through some snow at the highest elevation between points. It was 99 in Eldorado, KS. on the way home.

You are in for the best adventure maybe of your life, our trip was called the "Great Adventure" and it truly was, my grandsons still talking about the "Great Adventure" as we go somewhere every summer since then.

Good Luck, Happy Camping, Enjoy the Ride, God Bless!
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #45

Lots of good info on this thread. I’ll be making the same trip from Delaware in August but I’ve already got the Goodyear tires on my 2021 264BH.

I’ve also heard great reviews about the Harbor Freight generators. I will likely get the smaller one due to weight, cost and I’m only going to be using it to recharge the batteries and supplement the solar power package on my camper.
gatorblue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #46

Always carry extra gas
West Texas has been powerless for some time now
One gas station in 300 miles was open
Glad we have a can of gas for the generator!

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:06 PM   #47

I've ran about every trailer tire out there in last 25 years of towing a 7500# enclosed race trailer. Used most mentioned and more. 3 things that are more important that brand is, air pressure, setting in sun and most of all age. As for generators I don't thing you can beat Onan. For a portable I bought a Harbor Freight invertor 3500. Yes it's Chinese and sure not a Honda, but for my use is more that good. I bought it for backup when I had an older Motorhome. Also just keep it in race trailer to use to service race car. It is as quite as a Honda and 1/3 the price. It's also about 4 years old with no problems.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randel J View Post
I know I'm going to get push-back on our recommendation, but we've had great luck with our Harbor Freight "Predator 3500W" inverter. The unit only cost about $700 and powers everything in our TT and runs very quiet.

When dry camping or boondocking, we only use the unit a couple hours in the morning and about the same in the evening, so a tank of gas will last us 3 to 5 days. Harbor Freight has been good with their return policy and have store locations all over the place on the west coast.
We have a predator 3500 inverter gen and it has worked flawlessly! Powers everything we need, quiet, and does good on fuel. I love Honda generators but when you can buy 2 or 3 predators that seem to match up close in every comparrison done between the two then i will save my money. My only advice is no matter generator you get properly break it in. I can’t stress that enough! Also if stored for a while I will put ethanol free fuel in and try to start and run it every so often. If you do these things you should get a lot of good years out of your generator
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #49

I have a champion 3500-4000 here at the house for use. When my Honda 3000 died (bad inverter) and was in shop I bought a Champion 2200. It was replaced three times for pull cord coming completely out. Both tractor supplies ran out since everyone sold did the same thing (factory defect). Since I dry camp for 2-3 months at a time I gave up and got the Honda 2200. I was up in the mountains and not a bunch of places to buy generators. Now that they fixed the Champions I would get another if needed. It was just as quiet as my Honda 2200 and very fuel efficient.
I did find out a very interesting thing. When my Honda 3000i started surging it power spiked and burnt completely up my EMS. The Honda repair shop in VT could not believe the voltage output was over 1000 volts. That was as high as there meter went.
When an inverter Gen fails the inverter can do what ever it wants. If not for my EMS my FW would of gotten fried. I have always used the EMS with Gen to protect from low voltage problems if we turned on two much stuff.
I am amazed that these gens do not have a fail safe on output voltage. The dealer (big repair shop) tried to get Honda to replace the inverter for what it did but they refused(out of warranty) . He has seen inverter failures putting out around 200 volts but nothing like mine did.
Never crossed my mind that a smaller portable inverter Gen could fail and put out insane voltage.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #50

Has anyone traveled highway 287/26 into Grand Tenons National park from Lander Wy? Pulling a camper or travel trailer?
gn87turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:35 PM   #51

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Made the run with our Northpoint, June 2019. Nice run. Stayed in Dubois @ Wind River RV Resort for a week Touring area, beautiful. Be sure a drop by the Cowboy Cafe, might run into Calamity Jane (another story).
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #52

Thanks for the advice! I’m traveling through St. Louis up to Nebraska and into Wyoming toward yellow stone. Any other points of interest or advice would be great! Thanks in advance
gn87turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #53

If your planning to see Yellowstone, a stop in Cody would be a must. There's a state park just west of Cody that's awesome. We've been there twice. Although, all sites are likely reserved months in advance. But, go online and look. You might get lucky....
2022 F350 Lariat Premium Stone grey CCLB SRW 7.3 4:30*
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
mkrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:20 PM   #54

Hi there,
You must live closely. I'm in Bluefield. I am retired owner operator and have seen 46 states plus Canada. As far as the tires I will say this. Whatever tires you get, going 1 up on load range is good idea and make sure wheels can accept them and their air pressure. Plus, keep them full of air. Most of the gators out there either were or had been run low on air. As the sidewalls flex, they create heat in the tire. This weakens the sidewall and leads to blowouts. I never ran caps on my tractor as you never know what previous life was and if they were "run flat". Meaning that they were run below 90% recommended inflation for long.
I never blew one of my tractor tires in the last 10 years I was.out there. Some companies trailer caps but none of mine.
GENERATORS: I have 2 champion units. 1 open frame 3750/4500 and an inverter 2800/3100. Both over 5 years old. The inverter model I used to power 2.1 KW heat and 15000 btu AC I had in my tractor. It has over 2000 hrs on it when I retired and has another1000 on it now. All I have ever replaced are oil, (200 hrs with synthetic), plugs yearly and the starting battery last month. It has a remote fob so you can start from inside. Nice in cold weather.
Enjoy the trip, drive safe, and try a different route home. You see more that way. I 80 into Iowa then down into Missouri on I 29 and I49 to Joplin Then across I 44 to US 60 at Springfield. Go all the way to Charleston, MO. You can follow it on to Paducah KY and grab I 24 east to Hopkinsville then run KY 80 to Hazard and take KY 15 southeast to Jenkins and take US 23 south into Virginia at Pound. Then whichever way home you need to go. I have been all those with semi and is good roads and nice scenery.
Charles in WV (Bluefield)
Charles in WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:33 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn87turbo View Post
Thanks for the advice! I’m traveling through St. Louis up to Nebraska and into Wyoming toward yellow stone. Any other points of interest or advice would be great! Thanks in advance
We just arrived at Jackson yesterday. We traveled route 26 from Ogallala, NE to Jackson. Very scenic.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote