Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #41

These endless and often totally ridiculous warnings cause people to gloss over the instructions and, no doubt in my mind, cause accidents as a result. A warning on a bottle of water is harmless, but on chainsaws they can result in tragedy. As Bassdogs says, they should cover the true hazards. If that were the case, people might read them.

One day, if it hasn't already happened and been hidden via nondisclosure agreements in settlements, someone is going to sue and win on the grounds that multiple pages of warnings, and more warnings interspersed within the actual instructions, prevented the safe use of the product concerned.

We just opened a package containing a cell phone. There are multiple warnings inside the package. But the only real danger came in trying to open the package without severing a finger. Guess which item had no warnings!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #42

Had a runabout [boat] that actually had a Warning embedded on the dash that said something to the extent "Danger, rotating prop can cause serious and potentially fatal damage". Duh!! Really?? Are ya sure?? Watch this Bubba!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #43

There are far too many lawyer imposed warnings in place. So many that it is virtually impossible to determine which ones have any basis vs those that do nothing more than satisfy some narrow-minded, self-center, ego-maniac lawyer.

Personal case: I have been on metformin and glipizide for diabetes for the last 10 years. When I first started the medication they came with a warning label attached saying "Do not consume alcohol while taking this medication". Well, I enjoy my occasional beer or two. I went to the pharmacist and asked, very specifically, is this warning on here for a "medical" reason or a "legal" reason. He smiled and admitted is was, in fact, placed there for legal reasons.

On an additional note has anyone else noticed there is a class action lawyer for almost every drug or medical service introduced in the last 10 years? No wonder drugs cost so much. Each of us must pay the multi-million dollar class action settlements.

OK. Rant over.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
On an additional note has anyone else noticed there is a class action lawyer for almost every drug or medical service introduced in the last 10 years? No wonder drugs cost so much. Each of us must pay the multi-million dollar class action settlements.
OK. Rant over.
Unless the laws have changed, there's an easy solution to these trumped up lawsuits, and we can own these clowns, if only we would. If you're a juror and believe the case should have been thrown out, convince your fellow jurors to find for the Plaintiff. And then set damages at $1. Time was, that was a killer. Of course, that was before half the nation held a law degree. And unlike medical schools, the law schools just keep pumping them out, most of whom will never find real work in the field. May I suggest they all file suit against their alma matres for misrepresentation!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I have a question for those of you who travel with your propane on. When it comes time to fill up your tow vehicle with fuel do you pull over to the side to turn off your fridge prior to pulling up to the pump? Than pull over to the side again after filling up to restart your fridge? In all the years RVing, I have never seen anybody do this. In Canada it's against the law to have an open flame near the pumps. I suspect it's the same in the States. I guess some fill up prior to hooking up their rigs but you would have to fill up again at some point in time. What are your thoughts on this. Here it's not against the law to travel with your propane on except on a ferry.
Richard:
My wife & I run the fridge for a few days before a trip then place 2 frozen gallon packs,one in freezer and one in fridge. Have traveled 12 hours and both fridge & freezer contents are un-spoiled and packs are less than half melted. It may not be against the law to run with propane on but we feel safer with the propane turned off while in transit.
TT 2011 Jay Flight RKS24 (sold)
TV 2010 Ram Laramie 5.7 Litre Hemi 3.55 gears
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400is
jddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #46

When I buy a camper the fridge goes on and is never off again until I sell it.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #47

Since 1982, in all my motorhomes, whenever I pull into a station, the DW gets up and turns off the frig and HWH. After I fill up, we usually park it and get something to eat, so one of us will turn the LP appliances back on, usually the DW. Works for us for 30+ years.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #48

FYI PET is released from plastic when it's frozen. Unless that jug is the right kind of plastic that water might not be so good for you once it thaws.

George
=============================
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26 RLS TT
2013 Ram 2500 Mega HD Cummins Diesel
gpmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
When I buy a camper the fridge goes on and is never off again until I sell it.
We're only a week into our Jayco ownership, but that's my feeling as well. The unit is on shore power when parked indoors in the shop between trips. The fridge is on.

George
=============================
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26 RLS TT
2013 Ram 2500 Mega HD Cummins Diesel
gpmilliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #50
Site Team

I have a sleeping pill prescription that has a warning: "Caution, may cause drowsiness".

I hope?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #51

I always turn on my fridge the night before traveling and run it on the way there. Most of these RV fridges are automatic 2-way, meaning (they need 12volt power for the controls) they need either gas fuel or 120 volt shore power to make it run and cool down and should sense which one is available...if gas only-should automatically light itself; if plugged to shore power-it should run on that. But all the ones I've seen must have the battery connected to be able to run on either source.
bbrown is offline   Reply With Quote