Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #1

Traveling with fridge running....

How many of JOF members run their fridge while rolling down the road? I've done this on occassion, but my experience was the pilot or burner blows out, fridge is off when arriving at destination. Obviously you're not aware of fridge issue while driving (hmmmm, be really nice to have a wireless remote monitoring device for internal appliances, CO, etc. in vehicle with you, work on that Jayco would you and keep cost down!). From what I've read about these amonia absorbtion fridges, it's very important to level your rig while using propane. OK, TT sure isn't level while towing, granted it's just for a short period of time but I'm a stickler about proper operation of devices. Anyway, with my burner blowing out while in tow, am I overlooking something or is this normal????
Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it's abnormal to have the pilot blow out while traveling.
I run mine on the 12V when rolling.
The ammonia gets moved around when rolling, so it's not a problem.
I've driven 4,000 miles in the last 3 weeks and no problem keeping things cold on the 12V

My HW pilot will blow out if the winds are strong from the rear while parked.
I was told there was a better vent cover that would help, but I'll look into that later.
We just heat water in the microwave when this occurs.
JMHO

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

I always run mine when traveling. My unit will re-light itself if the flame goes out. It looks like you have the same camper as I do. It should have a Norcold 2-way refrigerator with electronic control. There is no "pilot light".

As far as level goes it doesn't matter whether it is on electric or propane it must be level in either case to operate properly. When traveling level does not matter because the liquids are constantly sloshing around and do not get a chance to pool and restrict the system.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

I leave my fridg on 24/7 . Never had the pilot blow out.
Maybe the shield that keeps wind out is miss aligned or missing.
My pilot is all the way to the side nearest the cab and all the way to the inside.
Sometimes things get moved around or left out. My pilot light wire was plugged into the wrong place. I had to do some experimenting to find the right connection.
CJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

Well CRAP, I didn't even know my fridge would run on 12v power. Learn something new everyday! This is great info, we have a trip coming up next week that'll take us about 6hrs traveling.

As far as the burner operation and level is concerned, from what I understand, the bowl that the burner heats up will overheat if the burner isn't applying heat directly under it in which being unlevel would affect this burner angle. Maybe I'm not clear on this?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

I guess I'm weird, I pack a cooler for the trip and load the fridge after we get to the site and it begins cooling down.....and we have a 3-way fridge! I can remember twice where I started the fridge on 12V before we headed out. In my mind - it's easier to pack the cooler in the house, then try to pack a fridge (safely for travel) in the trailer.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
Well CRAP, I didn't even know my fridge would run on 12v power. Learn something new everyday! This is great info, we have a trip coming up next week that'll take us about 6hrs traveling.

As far as the burner operation and level is concerned, from what I understand, the bowl that the burner heats up will overheat if the burner isn't applying heat directly under it in which being unlevel would affect this burner angle. Maybe I'm not clear on this?
I don't think yours will run on 12V. Look at your owners manual. Is it NOT a Norcold 2-way? If not, what is it? The level has nothing to do with the flame angle. If operated off-level the flow will become restricted and eventually damage the unit if run that way long enough.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #8

tnchuck100, I'm pretty sure it's a Norcold. I better look at the O&M on it to confirm it's a 2 or 3 way unit. It looks like we have the same TT.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #9

Travelling Light (our motto)....Get one (or more) 1 Gallon sturdy jug(s) - fill it to @ 90% capacity with purified drinking water, freeze it (cap off). Use the frozen drinking water to chill your cooler for the trip out. It will keep in your cooler for about 2 days (depending on conditions) and as it melts, you'll have ice cold drinking water.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #10

I have had many rigs in the past 30 some years and have run with the fridge on. No problems so far.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #11

Thanks for all the valuable input JOF members!

KC
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #12

Our fridge is on whenever we are using the trailer. No problems at all with the unit set on auto - 120V when plugged in and propane when not. In last year almost 5 months and 8000 miles.
2011 Jayco JayFeather Select 28U
Equal-i-zer 1400/14000
Rotochocks
owenssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #13

Always run with the fridge on , then it is ready when we arrive at our destination......happy camping !!!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #14

Indeed... Always run with the fridge on. It can take 24 hours sometimes to cool down. Should you find out that you do have a DC option on your fridge, and you use it when towing, make sure that during meal stops and longer stops that you turn your fridge off. Your fridge will drain both your campers battery and your tow vehicle battery in no time at all.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
---with my burner blowing out while in tow, am I overlooking something or is this normal????
I agree with the others that there is nothing wrong with running the fridge while towing. If it is going out while going down the highway, then you have a problem somewhere.

My question is "has the fridge going out always been a problem when going down the road"? Or is this something that started happening later on after it was new?

This is what comes to my mind as what to look at.
1st, make sure the little pivoting cover that you open to view the burner flame is closed.
2nd, if it is, then I'd check the ignitor/flame sensor. The igniter also acts as a flame sensor. It sends a signal to the control box that you have a good flame. If the control box does not receive that signal, it shuts the gas off.
There are two things to look at on the flame sensor. First make sure the ignitor's electrode is clean. If it is dirty or has carbon/soot on it, that can impede it's ability to detect a flame. It may work OK in a calm conditions, but when going down the highway and the burner can area has more airflow, the flame sensor may be having problems sensing the flame. You can clean it with some very fine grit emory cloth or sandpaper.
Next make sure the mounting area where the electrode is attached is clean. This is the electrode's ground. If the place where the electrode is mounted, is rusty or dirty that can also affect the flame senor's ability to function.

If all that checks out and/or the fridge has always gone out while towing, then I would suspect an issue with the installation. The burner is getting blown out by excessive airflow. Look at the burner can area. It should basically form a shroud or "chimney" around the flame. It should protect the flame while allowing adequate airflow at the bottom and top.

2016 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 FBDS w/ 15,000 BTU AC, 50 amp service, upgraded counter top, thermal pane windows, elec. stab jacks, outside grill, backup camera and MORryde pin box.
2011 GMC 2500HD DURAMAX/ ALLISON
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
Indeed... Always run with the fridge on. It can take 24 hours sometimes to cool down.
I'd run my fridge too if took 24 hours!!!!....my 3 way Norcold takes 4hrs to cool - 8hrs to freeze on electric!!!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #17

Tail_gunner, thanks for all the diagnostics. Our TT is less than a year old. I've only towed with fridge running on propane once and this is when I had issue. Heck, it may be fine. This is why i asked all you knowledgeable JOF members. I'm about to find out next week on our journey to S. Missouri. I do know gas operation is normal while set up at camp. It's gonna be a fun trip and I'm looking forward to check this fridge ON while towing.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #18

Traveling with fridge running....

I have a question for those of you who travel with your propane on. When it comes time to fill up your tow vehicle with fuel do you pull over to the side to turn off your fridge prior to pulling up to the pump? Than pull over to the side again after filling up to restart your fridge? In all the years RVing, I have never seen anybody do this. In Canada it's against the law to have an open flame near the pumps. I suspect it's the same in the States. I guess some fill up prior to hooking up their rigs but you would have to fill up again at some point in time. What are your thoughts on this. Here it's not against the law to travel with your propane on except on a ferry.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 AM   #19

I have never shut mine off. First, fuel vapors are heavier than air. They will sink to the ground. Second, the flame in the refrigerator is 4 feet above the ground and 30 feet away. I feel more at risk it getting hit by someone when I am leaving the station than this refrigerator issue presents.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #20

Level according to my owners manual means within 5 degrees of plumb. I did the trig with my 23B and 5 degrees would mean around 14" of blocking under the tongue jack while sittiing on a level surface. There is no way you will ever camp or go down the road at that angle. Getting back to the OP's question...yes I run the fridge on gas while traveling. Although you can smell gasoline fumes occasionally while at the gas station, they are not concentrated enough to support combustion unless your ignition source is pretty close to the filler opening where the vapors escape. Also they tend to concentrate very close to ground level and in my TT the fridge burner is over 4 feet off the ground. I don't lose much sleep over the refueling situation.