Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #1

Traveling with fridge running....

How many of JOF members run their fridge while rolling down the road? I've done this on occassion, but my experience was the pilot or burner blows out, fridge is off when arriving at destination. Obviously you're not aware of fridge issue while driving (hmmmm, be really nice to have a wireless remote monitoring device for internal appliances, CO, etc. in vehicle with you, work on that Jayco would you and keep cost down!). From what I've read about these amonia absorbtion fridges, it's very important to level your rig while using propane. OK, TT sure isn't level while towing, granted it's just for a short period of time but I'm a stickler about proper operation of devices. Anyway, with my burner blowing out while in tow, am I overlooking something or is this normal????

Old 05-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think it's abnormal to have the pilot blow out while traveling.
I run mine on the 12V when rolling.
The ammonia gets moved around when rolling, so it's not a problem.
I've driven 4,000 miles in the last 3 weeks and no problem keeping things cold on the 12V

My HW pilot will blow out if the winds are strong from the rear while parked.
I was told there was a better vent cover that would help, but I'll look into that later.
We just heat water in the microwave when this occurs.
JMHO

Best regards,
Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

I always run mine when traveling. My unit will re-light itself if the flame goes out. It looks like you have the same camper as I do. It should have a Norcold 2-way refrigerator with electronic control. There is no "pilot light".

As far as level goes it doesn't matter whether it is on electric or propane it must be level in either case to operate properly. When traveling level does not matter because the liquids are constantly sloshing around and do not get a chance to pool and restrict the system.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #4

I leave my fridg on 24/7 . Never had the pilot blow out.
Maybe the shield that keeps wind out is miss aligned or missing.
My pilot is all the way to the side nearest the cab and all the way to the inside.
Sometimes things get moved around or left out. My pilot light wire was plugged into the wrong place. I had to do some experimenting to find the right connection.
CJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #5

Well CRAP, I didn't even know my fridge would run on 12v power. Learn something new everyday! This is great info, we have a trip coming up next week that'll take us about 6hrs traveling.

As far as the burner operation and level is concerned, from what I understand, the bowl that the burner heats up will overheat if the burner isn't applying heat directly under it in which being unlevel would affect this burner angle. Maybe I'm not clear on this?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #6

I guess I'm weird, I pack a cooler for the trip and load the fridge after we get to the site and it begins cooling down.....and we have a 3-way fridge! I can remember twice where I started the fridge on 12V before we headed out. In my mind - it's easier to pack the cooler in the house, then try to pack a fridge (safely for travel) in the trailer.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
Well CRAP, I didn't even know my fridge would run on 12v power. Learn something new everyday! This is great info, we have a trip coming up next week that'll take us about 6hrs traveling.

As far as the burner operation and level is concerned, from what I understand, the bowl that the burner heats up will overheat if the burner isn't applying heat directly under it in which being unlevel would affect this burner angle. Maybe I'm not clear on this?
I don't think yours will run on 12V. Look at your owners manual. Is it NOT a Norcold 2-way? If not, what is it? The level has nothing to do with the flame angle. If operated off-level the flow will become restricted and eventually damage the unit if run that way long enough.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #8

tnchuck100, I'm pretty sure it's a Norcold. I better look at the O&M on it to confirm it's a 2 or 3 way unit. It looks like we have the same TT.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

Travelling Light (our motto)....Get one (or more) 1 Gallon sturdy jug(s) - fill it to @ 90% capacity with purified drinking water, freeze it (cap off). Use the frozen drinking water to chill your cooler for the trip out. It will keep in your cooler for about 2 days (depending on conditions) and as it melts, you'll have ice cold drinking water.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #10

I have had many rigs in the past 30 some years and have run with the fridge on. No problems so far.