Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Lost in the Woods

Tray for Extra Batteries on 2015 Eagle 284 BHBE ??

On my 2015 Eagle 284BHBE there are a couple of rails under the A-Frame which appear to be the same width and would fit the Group 24 - 31 Battery Box that I carry my spare battery in. I have not tried to wedge it in there as I think I would have to remove my propane tank cover and propane tanks to wedge one or two battery boxes in there and spring has not arrived here yet. This would be a very convenient place to carry a spare battery or two when we go to the state parks without services. Has anybody mounted an extra battery or two in here and aside from increased tongue weight, what would be the problem and would the trailer charging components have to be upgraded ?
Attached Thumbnails
BatteryTray1.jpg   BatteryTray2.jpg   BatteryTray3.jpg  
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Team

That sure would be a nice place to keep extra batteries. Not sure I would use that area for a permanent battery location, as batteries (flooded type) expel corrosive gases while charging, which could have a negative effect on things under the TT.. LP tanks, valves, metal, wires.

As long as they are not being charged down there it probably should be ok.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:03 PM   #3

Every trailer I have owned (6) has the battery there. I just bought a new 19 RD from Camping world and they installed the battery there. I just added a second battery next to it . I have never had any problems with my batteries there.
phil19409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

I too take extra batteries when state park camping. I have the same tray on my TT and wondered the same thing about putting batteries there. Right now they go in the back of the pickup. I don't know how I would swap them out while camping though either.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluie5 View Post
I too take extra batteries when state park camping. I have the same tray on my TT and wondered the same thing about putting batteries there. Right now they go in the back of the pickup. I don't know how I would swap them out while camping though either.
With my last camper (much smaller and less electronics) there was only room for one battery on the tongue so I swapped them back and forth from the back of the pickup and alternately charged them during the 3 hour generator periods. I have not camped without electricity yet with the Eagle, so I am not sure how long I will be able to get out of my 2 110aH deep cycle batteries running the fridge, occasional lights and water pump for dishes, toilet etc. I should be able to get at least a day per battery without going below 50% discharge but I'll find out this year.

I did ask the salesman when we picked up the trailer and he said that was just there for bracing, but I find it curious that it is almost the exact width as a battery box. One of the reasons I posted was the concern, as indicated by Mustang is the discharge of gas if the batteries are charged there as that is directly below the head of the front bed. It is not a sealed compartment and I wonder if there would be sufficient airflow to dissipate any bad stuff. If this is a concern, the additional expense of sealed AGM's might be justified if this is an issue that needs to be solved ? Installing the batteries there temporarily is not an option as I would want to wire them up to be used and charged in place as it would not be convenient to swap the battery out from there.

My final consideration will be what gauge of wire will be needed to hookup the 2 - 12v in parallel. I guestimate you would need 6 ft or less of wire taking into account obstacles with sufficient slack in the wire. Assuming the sufficient gauge wire is used to connect the two batteries, is there a problem using the onboard charger in my Eagle to charge both batteries at the same time or is there a problem hooking a battery charger up to both batteries (other than double the charging time) or would it be better to charge them individually each with its own battery charger ? In future, I might go to 4 6volt batteries in series but for now, my two 12v batteries are only 3 years old and have been maintained so they should be good for a couple of years yet. This is one of those things that is far more cost effective to do it right the first time so thanks to anyone who provides some expertise on the issue.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:00 AM   #6

Batteries

That space is made for batteries. Every trailer I have owned had the batteries there. I have never had a problem with gas during charging. I use #4 battery cable from any auto parts store. 20" works great to connect between the 2 batteries. usually the cabling from the convertor and all the neccesary wiring is usually there from the factory.
phil19409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post

My final consideration will be what gauge of wire will be needed to hookup the 2 - 12v in parallel. I guestimate you would need 6 ft or less of wire taking into account obstacles with sufficient slack in the wire. Assuming the sufficient gauge wire is used to connect the two batteries, is there a problem using the onboard charger in my Eagle to charge both batteries at the same time or is there a problem hooking a battery charger up to both batteries (other than double the charging time) or would it be better to charge them individually each with its own battery charger ? In future, I might go to 4 6volt batteries in series but for now, my two 12v batteries are only 3 years old and have been maintained so they should be good for a couple of years yet. This is one of those things that is far more cost effective to do it right the first time so thanks to anyone who provides some expertise on the issue.
Steve,
Are you talking about adding 2 additional 12Volt batteries to the ones on your TT, or just 2 12Volt batteries total? On my 2013 EAGLE I have space on the tongue for 1 size 24 (top front mount) and 1 27 (lower rear mount right behind the upper battery tray) Obviously, you should not use 2 different size batteries so I took my metal cutting wheel and removed the sides of the top tray that interfered with the size 27 battery. Easy fix. You need to keep the 2 batteries as close together as possible, because of added resistance of wire, and a balanced charge and as close to an inverter as possible.

As for connecting the two batteries in parallel, I assume you will be using an inverter or adding one in the future so you will want to make sure that the wire size will support your loads. I used 1/0 AWG wire and I crimped the ends with electrical jell inside to help slow any oxidizing that may want to start. So 1/0 or 2/0 AWG will do fine. Some may say it is overkill, but they will be ready for anything you add in the future.

The on board charger that your TT has will produce either 45 or 60 amps. Plenty for (2) 12 volt batteries or topping off 4 batteries. Before I installed solar the (2) T145 6 volt (260Ah total) batteries were charged with no issues at all.

If you are looking at switching out batteries, you may want to look at installing a cutoff switch that allows you to select which batteries to use. One side will connect to the TT's batteries and the other side will connect to a WELDERS female 1/2" cable connector, you will mount on the TT. You will need 2 WELDERS female connectors one for Positive and one for negative. Have the welding supplies store make you a length of cable (4 or 5 feet in length). Connect battery terminal connectors to the other side. You can tailor make the length to your need, but 4 or 5 feet is the very max you should go. You will have to watch how much load you place on the welding cables (inverter load).

If you need to switch to the spare batteries, pull them out of the truck, connect the welders cables to the battery and plug them into the female connectors you mounted on the TT. Switch the battery selector from the TT's batteries to the axillary batteries.

Just my thoughts
Don
Old 03-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil19409 View Post
That space is made for batteries. Every trailer I have owned had the batteries there. I have never had a problem with gas during charging. I use #4 battery cable from any auto parts store. 20" works great to connect between the 2 batteries. usually the cabling from the convertor and all the neccesary wiring is usually there from the factory.
My EAGLE has the glacier package so I can not see what is inside the underside, which would still do me any good as it is an enclosed area with no access to maintain them.

Don
Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Brackets under TT used for batteries update

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil19409 View Post
That space is made for batteries. Every trailer I have owned had the batteries there.
Here is the best I could get from Jayco regarding those cross brackets under the trailer. If someone that has this tray under their TT would be kind enough to take a few minutes to send Jayco a request (with a picture would be great) to (service@jayco.com) for information regarding the cross brackets under the front section of the TT with their VIN, we may get the official reason as to why they are there. Until then, here is what they responded to my request. I have the cold weather package so I can not see anything under the underside panel.

Don

Good Morning Don

Thank you for contacting Jayco. Without a serial number for the Eagle I cannot answer your question for sure. There are many different Eagle model and options I would need to have a serial number to answer the question. In general though we do not put a battery in this area.

Cordially,

Jayco Service

Old 03-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #10

My Eagle has the same bracket under the propane bottles as Ottawasteve. In the 2015 Eagle brochure it lists under Standard Exterior Equipment, (Dual Battery Capacity). I've assumed that is what it was for.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #11

We have a 2011 284BHS with the battery tray right behind the propane tanks, less than a foot away, and I've seen them in similar locations on a variety of campers for years. There is also room for a second battery (on our to-do list), so I wouldn't be concerned with the proximity as much as keeping the wiring clean.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote