Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #1

Question Trouble with Tv

We purchased a 287BHBE Swift(2014) brand new and it came with a 26" Continu-us brand tv.We have maybe 12 hours of watching time and the thing quit on us.It was outside of the 2 yr Jayco warranty,but luckily we purchased an extended warranty (Xtra ride) for 5 yr.The problem is that Jayco is not able to purchase this tv as the manufacturer is no longer going to produce them.(Per the manufacturer I spoke with today).So my dealer who received the OK for replacement through the extended warranty peeps says he is only able to replace with original equipment.I am on week 3 of this merry go round and getting sicker by the minute.Has anyone else experienced something like this and what remedy would you suggest?
Black sheep of the family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:20 AM   #2

I'd just buy another TV. A 26" TV is probably less than a hundred bucks.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
I'd just buy another TV. A 26" TV is probably less than a hundred bucks.
x2
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black sheep of the family View Post
We purchased a 287BHBE Swift(2014) brand new and it came with a 26" Continu-us brand tv.We have maybe 12 hours of watching time and the thing quit on us.It was outside of the 2 yr Jayco warranty,but luckily we purchased an extended warranty (Xtra ride) for 5 yr.The problem is that Jayco is not able to purchase this tv as the manufacturer is no longer going to produce them.(Per the manufacturer I spoke with today).So my dealer who received the OK for replacement through the extended warranty peeps says he is only able to replace with original equipment.I am on week 3 of this merry go round and getting sicker by the minute.Has anyone else experienced something like this and what remedy would you suggest?
The sound on our 46" C-us tv in our 14 W Hawk went wacko towards the end of the 2 year warrantee. Jayco approved replacement and gave me the option of a $375 allowance and I could buy my the tv of my choice. Bought an LG 47" thru Best buy for $400 and we were all happy.

I agree that the smaller tvs are so cheap now that I wouldn't worry about the coverage. Ask the dealer for an allowance and get on down the road.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #5

Its not worth the fight in my opinion...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #6

I agree with the others. It's really not worth the fight. I would get a better quality TV that you like and move on.

That being said, I would contact Jayco directly (NOT through the dealer, but don't tell the dealer what you're doing) and tell them the story. Include a copy of the receipt for the new TV in your correspondence along with your trailer's description and VIN. You never know, they might take care of you as a measure of "goodwill". It's certainly worth asking.

You could also contact your warranty company directly (assuming you haven't already) and tell them the situation (that OEM is not available). The worst they can say is "no".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #7

I really don't want to be shelling out more money( we paid $2300 for the extended warranty).I guess it's really just the principle thing of having a warranty that really isn't.Finding a 26" isn't that easy as most tvs are either 24 or 32 now.Remember this mounts on a cabinet that swivels to the bedroom,so it must fit the parameters.The dealer states the original equipment was $650 and it's true as I looked on my Monroney paper and Jayco actually charged that much for a t.v that probably cost them less than $100!Calling the dealer today to see if we can just get an allowance and resolve this.
Black sheep of the family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #8

So what will happen when something major goes bad but that exact part is non longer available ? Let's say the manufacturer has changed the model number because they changed the placement of the door shelves in the refrigerator but otherwise it is exactly the same unit. Will you be on the hook because they no longer manufacture that model ? I would be on the extended warranty company ASAP. If they stick to their current line, I would contact my states attorney generals office. That or demand a full refund of the fee paid for the nonexistant warranty.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

Your extended warranty can be cancelled at a prorated amount anytime before it expires.

My first call would be to the cancellation department of the warranty company. That will either get you your new Television or a good chunk of your money back.

I"m betting somehow, that reasonable replacement Television will get quickly authorised.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Your extended warranty can be cancelled at a prorated amount anytime before it expires.

My first call would be to the cancellation department of the warranty company. That will either get you your new Television or a good chunk of your money back.

I"m betting somehow, that reasonable replacement Television will get quickly authorised.
I agree with this approach. This experience illustrates that extended warranties are generally not worth the paper they are printed on. Save the money in the bank and you'll have your own "warranty" service.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post

The refund will buy many new TV's.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #12

I agree with all the posting above but I'm the sort who would spend a grand to get a hundred bucks back. To me its the point of the matter. Jayco should have worked with you and just sent you some bucks to buy your own TV someplace or your dealer, who doesn't sound like someone who has you back, should gone to war for you against Jayco to get you the new TV. You got to fight for what you believe in and paid for. That's my theory at least...
Mosinee, WI.
JackMroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #13

Jaycos liability ended when the warranty expired. The selling dealer who profited from the extended warranty sale could have stepped up a bit. I guarantee I could have this issue resolved with a single phone call to the warranty company.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk