Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Truck Tires

So I've been using my GY Wrangler tires that my truck came with for a couple of years now. I tow a Jayflight 26BH which is about 6k lbs loaded. Do I really need LT tires? I run the Wranglers at 44 PSI when I tow and I haven't had any problems. Now this is my first truck AND first trailer so perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing. The cost isn't an issue. I go camping about 7 times a year right now so comfort while not under a load is a factor. I appreciate any advice.
Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

I just ordered LT tires for my truck. I really believe they are going to be a big improvement over the passenger tires that are currently on my truck. I anticipate the ride being a little more harsh but the reviews on the BFG K02's are good so hopefully it won't be too bad. I'll be ok with it if the squishy feel when towing is reduced.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #3

I guess I don't notice the squishy feel that everyone talks about. I've only had one pair of truck tires before.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur View Post
So I've been using my GY Wrangler tires that my truck came with for a couple of years now. I tow a Jayflight 26BH which is about 6k lbs loaded. Do I really need LT tires? I run the Wranglers at 44 PSI when I tow and I haven't had any problems. Now this is my first truck AND first trailer so perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing. The cost isn't an issue. I go camping about 7 times a year right now so comfort while not under a load is a factor. I appreciate any advice.
You've had no problems (I assume this includes no sway or other handling problems) and a harsh ride is not acceptable. It seems to me you don't need LT tires.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
I guess I don't notice the squishy feel that everyone talks about. I've only had one pair of truck tires before.
I didn't notice it with my previous trailer which was much lighter. My current trailer is just under 6K unloaded.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:27 AM   #6

If you've had no problems so far, no need to run out and put LT on the truck. However, if I were you, when the OEM's need replacing, I'd put new LT's on it.

I replaced the OEM tires on my 2005 truck with more P tires, but at the time I wasn't thinking about getting a TT. So I was then stuck with the P tires. But I "survived" over 20K miles pulling a small trailer, 24 ft long ultra lite, including a 7900+ mile trip to Socal and return. So they will work.

My current truck came with LT245/75R17's as part of the HD Package.

Quote:

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
Site Team

We switched my wife's 1/2 ton over to LT tires after she had a blowout at highway speeds. I don't think it was as much an issue with the P rated tires as much as it was a defective tire from Michelin (that's a story in itself ). But anyway, the stability of the truck now with the LT's is noticeably better as is the tire wear. I wouldn't go back.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:28 AM   #8

I have put LT tires on both of my half tons and will continue to do so. They are a much tougher tire and I prefer the more stable and firm ride they provide. The softer half ton suspension absorbs most of the bumps so it's not like you will be riding in a lumber wagon if you did the upgrade.

There are also different load ratings in LT tires. I went with E (10 ply) but you can also get D or even C which are 8ply and 6ply respectively. My axle is rated to 4050lb and the tires are rated up to 7280lb combined so I have a good margin. I run them at 50psi all the time.

When mine wear out I will replace them with the exact same thing. I think it's worth going up to a tougher tire and I like the more sure-footed feel of the LTs.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #9

Spur,

Hard to say if you should step up to LT's or not. While you haven't noticed anything with your current tires, unless you get the exact same model (the OE version), you could have a different experience even with the "aftermarket" version of your current tire.

On our '10 Chevy 1500, the stock Bridgestone's (on a Z71 4x4- Duehler I think they were) had a "wiggle" when towing our ~7000lb tt. Almost like someone is standing on each side of the truck bed, and while working together, pushing the bed side to side. Not a lot, but just enough to cause a "wiggle" as I call it. Switched to LT C rated tires, and the issue was gone.

Personally I would buy a LT rated tire for towing any enclosed trailer or a tt. Due to usually needing a little more tw vs an open trailer for the stiffer sidewall.

A LR C should be fine. Really the only thing a D or E rated tire would probably do for your towing weight is be heavier.

What tire type are you considering?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #10

I think I'm getting LT tires.

I want the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. Like you said probably a 6 or maybe an 8 ply. No need for the 10 ply. Not towing the 26BH anyway.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #11

I just learned that Michelin only carries E rated tires. Would you stick with Michelin or go with another manufacturer that makes C and D tires?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
I just learned that Michelin only carries E rated tires. Would you stick with Michelin or go with another manufacturer that makes C and D tires?
I am currently running Bridgestones on our 1/2 ton and have been very happy.

On edit: I should add that they are load range C.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #13

Cool, I'll check them out. Thanks
Old 07-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #14

So I was just working out in my garage and I got a good look at my Wrangler SRA tires and I can see where the tire meets the concrete they seem to "squish" out a little...like a marshmallow! Lol...I'm getting LT tires for sure. It's just a matter of a C,D or E now. BTW the Wrangler SRA 265/70/R17 tire has treated me right. I have almost 40k on them now.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #15

I had the stock Goodyear's on my 2014 F-150. I changed to the Michelin Defender E series at about 30k. The E tires ride much better and are more stable with less sway or side to side motion than the C rated's when towing. The C rated's handle better when not towing obviously because the tread is softer and has more sidewall flex. The ride with the E's is rougher without towing but it's a truck, not a Corvette. I have greater peace of mind towing with the E rated's.

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #16

LT vs P truck tires

On my 2011 F150, Screw, 5.0, 157" wb truck, towing our 2010 22FB, we noticed some flexing / wiggle with the Michelin LTX A/S P255/65 R17 tires @ factory spec 36psi. Told my son (service manager at a large RV dealer in Raleigh), and he suggested (with my truck empty) pushing firmly with my foot on an outside corner of the rear 'step bumper' while watching the rear tire for flex in the sidewall, translating into truck body sway. Yep... there sure was some. So I'm looking into mounting LT 8 ply tires on the original steel wheels (since I now have my regular tires on Ford takeoff alloys). My tire dealer suggests a moderately priced Hercules 8 ply. I know the truck ride will be rougher, by I want a safer ride, with minimal sidewall flex induced sway. Don't need an expensive, long mileage tire, as we'll only use the LT wheels during camper season. I'll report back with the results.

Thanks to all the forum contributors for the wealth of knowledge available on the site. Lee
Gypsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #17

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more about going with the Michelin 10 ply tire. The price difference between P, C,D, and E is nothing. The ride difference between C,Dand E can't be too drastic. I've been drinking the Michelin Kool-aid for a long time so I think that's probably the way I'm going. Michelin DefenderLTX M/S here I come.

However, I'm a few months away from purchasing so who knows what the hell I'm going to do.

Happy 4th...err 5th!!
Old 09-03-2017, 09:43 PM   #18

I bought the E rated Michelins! Unfortunately, there's a gas shortage in San Antonio, so I haven't been able to drive on them very much. I can't wait to pump them up and tow with them.