Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

TT Air Conditioner

Have a 2017 SLX 284. Live in Mississippi where the heat can be outrageous. Don't pull it much but keep it more-less stationary at a lake where I fish and spend three days at a time. Full sun. Takes 7 hours to cool it down if I get there mid day. The A/C on these units does not have a thermostat and is either ON or OFF. Is there an alternative to leaving it running for weeks at a time as that doesn't sound sensible. Why in the world did Jayco market a TT with an AC that has no thermostat?
hang1here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #2

Have you confirmed the lack of thermostatic control with Jayco? Every trailer I've owned or been in (that I paid attention to) had a wall mount thermostat or at least a temp control on the unit itself. How do you control the heat?
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #3

Yes. During the sales walk through I was told the A/C has no thermo. Only a ceiling mounted unit that goes from low fan to high fan to low and high cool and off with a separate knob that can be turned to cooler or not as cool. But, still, the unit must be either on or off. Never cuts off unless I turn it off. The heat thermo is on the wall and is not an issue. Traded in a Wildwood on this TT and it did have an AC thermo, which I miss. Hate to hang a window unit out the window of a brand new TT. I'll never fall for this again.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

Crazy. Was this new when you bought it or could this have been a dealer installed AC unit?

Even the Jayco manual for your unit says the AC is controlled by the thermostat.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

Just called the dealership here where the TTs are sold. They confirmed that these SLX TTs come only with a ceiling mounted off or on A/C. No other option. It's listed on the invoice at A/C 13,500 BTU Roof. It is what it is. My question at this point is: Does anyone know of an additional option for cooling this TT given the fact that the roof mounted A/C is either off or on. To confirm, just talked to sales, one of the mechanics and the lady who knows everything about their parts and service and all confirmed the unit is either off or on. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Perhaps you could hire an electrician to install a thermostat or maybe a timer?
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #7

I have been seeing these portable a/c lately but I forgot the name of it. It's small enough you can carry it around. Just google portable air conditioner I'm sure you'll find it
Old 08-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

No Thermostat On Mine

I too have never had an A/C thermostat. Low/Medium/High is all you get with fan speed. Fan stays on all the time. The compressor will engage periodically when it gets too warm.

I too am looking for a wall thermostat where I can set a temperature directly and forget about it.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #9

What do you know. I got another email about that a/c. Here's the screen shot of it, worth checkin out I guess Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-08-06-18-31-00.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	42936