Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #21

Large hand signals you can see, an arm pointed the way the back of the trailer needs to go. As we get close arms spread wide and come together until hands are palms together with a stop command, for us a closed fist held high where it can be seen. I explained that if you can't see me in the mirror I can't see you. Works great and we developed the routine in a 75ft 18 wheeler. As an aside I took the DW to and empty parking lot an had her backing into the painted stalls (nothing to run into) and tow the trailer home just in case she had to. The experience showed her from the drivers seat how it works. Wide turns, WIDE TURNS!
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 PM   #22

These post are very timely. I'm average at backing up,but last weekend we went to a state park. The DW was messing with the dog, so I decided to back up by myself. I had to make a sharp turn, so one side was in a blind spot. As I was backing up, one of the park personnel started to shout and I hit the brakes. Good thing too as I was about 3 inches from knocking into the electric pedestal. Whew! From now on, it'll be a two-person job.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
We learned to reduce the "lookie-Lou entertainment" by using our cell phones ~ so much quieter and of course, much less stress (no more yelling, cussing, or rude hand signals). The new TV has hands-free on speaker and the back-up camera is great, we're even faster than we were before!
I had the same idea, but the first couple campsites we went to there was no cell reception.
I picked up 2-way walkie talkies for $15. Money well spent.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadster5150 View Post
I had the same idea, but the first couple campsites we went to there was no cell reception.
I picked up 2-way walkie talkies for $15. Money well spent.
We used the walkies for a while, but I got tired of replacing the batteries and I didn't want to buy rechargeable ones. So we figured out how to do it without many words. Someone above mentioned "like a well-oiled machine", and I'd say that's us 90% of the time. Someone above also mentioned "patience", and that has saved us the other 10%! And that's pretty much true no matter what we're doing; we're a good team, and we work at it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:32 AM   #25

As a wife I understand your fustrations. When we first started out camping I was the one standing by the trailer "trying" to give clear directions but always we both ended up frustrated. So now I back the trailer in as the husband can not only give clearer directions but he also at the same time can tell me which way to turn the wheel and by how much. It has saved the marriage and precious time relaxing by the fire.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #26

Hand on the bottom of the wheel and SLOW movements only until you're very close to where you want it, then feel free to jackknife the thing to get it "perfect" [emoji6]

Make sure you can see your helper in the mirror at all times. As tempting as it might be sometimes, you don't want to run anyone over.

I backed in a PUP for some fellow Canadians last week in Wisconsin. She showed me where she knocked off the tail light cover on her last attempt. There's nothing wrong with asking fellow campers for help either!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
... then feel free to jackknife the thing to get it "perfect" [emoji6]

Done that a few times and it make bystanders cringe!

Make sure you can see your helper in the mirror at all times. As tempting as it might be sometimes, you don't want to run anyone over.
Direct view or mirrors; Keeping everybody in sight or out of the way is important.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #28

One other thing for the "newbies" to remember is that it is not a race. Go slow, get out when needed, and take your time. If it is on an incline, I will even use low range. Gives me time to think while I am backing.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
One other thing for the "newbies" to remember is that it is not a race. Go slow, get out when needed, and take your time. If it is on an incline, I will even use low range. Gives me time to think while I am backing.
This is always the biggest problem for me, my wife tends to give me good directions and things start out well. Then I speed up a bit and the trailer ends up cock-eyed towards the end of the spot .
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:13 AM   #30

Walkie talkies work for us!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #31

We use walkie talkies as we'll. I'm still new to pulling and backing trailers, although you could hardly tell I'm a newb because I can back her up pretty good. On our maiden voyage with the new trailer we arrived at our campsite in the dark! Plus I forgot to bring the walkie talkies (total newb scenario). I had the DW hold a flashlight and wave it back and forth on my visual side of the trailer so I could see where the heck I was backing to. I had the windows open, and we had to shout back and forth for commands. Would you believe I backed her in on the first try?

On our second trip with the new trailer (I remembered the walkie talkies this time), it was about 2 weeks after the maiden trip. We arrived at the CG to discover the site was a corner lot on top of a hill. The base of the hill started right at the cross section of the main entry road we entered from, and the road we had to turn on to get to the site. So I took the only accessible road that looped back to my site from the other side, at the top of the hill. This CG was soo tight driving through the narrow roads, my trailer side shifted twice on turns and sideswiped couple of bushes (no damage). I still ended up down hill on the road, which set me up for a uphill approach to the site. On my side of the truck/road was the edge of the cliff (filled with thin trees and bush) I had limited room for swinging the front of my truck off the road while backing in, plus there was a huge pine tree at the entry to the site so I had narrow target to landing spot. We used the 2 way radios for commands. Would you believe I got her in on first shot? LOL. Needed to do a lot of levelling once we landed, the whole site sloped downhill.

I hope it gets less complicated for the rest of our summer trips we have planned. Happy camping everyone!
AV3NGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #32

Practice makes perfect. I can align and hook up trailer in a 2-3 min own my own. Wife the wife in under a minute. Backing up usually on the first try at certain sides. When on the beach sides she has to tell me when to stop before the bumper hits the dune. Rear camera to come in the spring.
cpa0912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #33

Just when I thought I was improving, I botched a parking job last night. The DW was trying to be patient with me but I was getting frustrated at the angle I needed and the lack of a reference point I couldn't see. I pulled out of the site, removed the WDH bars and went back around the loop. The guy next to us got a good laugh but it just reminded me I need more practice at not over correcting.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Just when I thought I was improving, I botched a parking job last night. The DW was trying to be patient with me but I was getting frustrated at the angle I needed and the lack of a reference point I couldn't see. I pulled out of the site, removed the WDH bars and went back around the loop. The guy next to us got a good laugh but it just reminded me I need more practice at not over correcting.

I have to remove my WD bars as well. I get so little trailer movement with them attached.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #35

Griswaldone and Lifespalette are right on. I gave up with the wife she looked like a baseball coach when she was guiding me in. I still have her watch just be safe.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 AM   #36

Seen two couples arguing, one quite loudly this weekend trying to get in a spot. Makes me glad I don't require help !!
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #37

Which camera would you recommend for backing the trailer (as an additional assistance)?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #38

I've trained my middle child (11) as an assistant, he does a good job and it helps keep me married!
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #39

I put three cameras on my trailer and one on my truck. I have a camera for each side and on in the back of the truck. I still have my wife watch and guide as needed.

One trick I came up with - I made a couple of guides to the side/slide placement of my trailer. I put my slides out on my trailer, then cut a couple of 1x1 pieces of wood that go from my wheels to the outer edge of my slides. When I get to a site, I place the wood pieces on the ground nearest any obstacle (tree, the line, power pole). Then when I back in, I just have to get my wheels as close as possible to the wood pieces. I still make sure to watch as we move the slides out, but haven't had any issues yet.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #40

Cool. Lucky them park guys were there. I got the same jayco. You have any issues with it? Just wondering. Ours only been out once going again this week.
crehome is offline   Reply With Quote