Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #1

TT Battery

What type battery is recommended for for my TT? My current battery is dead. It was a Deep Cycle manufactured in Oct 2011 that Jayco gave me in Jul 2012. My question is should I replace it with a Deep Cycle or just one of the correct Series off the shelf at Wal Mart? That battery lasted almost 6 yrs. Have not researched the difference in cost but suspect the Deep Cycle is much more costly.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #2

Deep cycle batteries can be discharged & recharged more frequently than a standard battery. Also give you more capacity. If you dry camp a lot I would say deep cycle . If your staying in campgrounds with electric the a standard battery will due.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Not sure of your camping style?
Do you use an inverter?

If you do not dry camp, a regular off the shelf RV/Marine battery will be just fine.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

Since you only have to replace an RV battery every 4-5 years and since the good ones only cost a few dollars more than the typical Marine deepcycle, I don't understand why this question keeps bouncing around.

Buy the best battery with the biggest AH rating you can find. Size isn" typically the driving force in selecting a battery as long as it will fit on the tray.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #5

Mohok,

If you got six years from your old battery I would replace it with another one just like it. Whatever kind of camping your are doing, that battery type seemed to have served you well.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Since you only have to replace an RV battery every 4-5 years and since the good ones only cost a few dollars more than the typical Marine deepcycle, I don't understand why this question keeps bouncing around.

Buy the best battery with the biggest AH rating you can find. Size isn" typically the driving force in selecting a battery as long as it will fit on the tray.
I guess I would look at it from the perspective of "Why pay more for something I will more than likely never use" and have it last just as long as the more expensive product. It is all about cycle-life. Most campers go from storage to campground and back to storage.

For those that just take their TT to a campground, and hook up to Shore-Power, a "Cycle" could be one cycle every few weeks or once a month. If you get the rated 1500 cycles out of an RV battery, and never really use it (LOAD wise), it will last a long time (properly maintained). Age would probably be the bigger factor in the death of the battery, with this kind of usage.

I guess it is just personal preference in the above scenario. Is there a "RIGHT" or "WRONG" answer to the above information... not really

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #7

Camping style really impact what type of battery works for you.

Most TTs come with a simple group 24 dual purpose 85 Ah battery. Most likely that is what you have and if it works for you replace it with a similar battery.

A Dual purpose battery is a cross between a traditional car battery and a Deep cycle battery. This allows for a quick power draw, for starting a motor, but it also has some storage capacity.

Most importance do not buy a automotive battery. A Dual purpose battery is OK, a true deep cycle is great.

Walmart will have some options.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #8

TT Battery

Thanks to all for the input. My camping style is 6 to 10 times per year and always 30 AMP service. I normally keep the TT plugged into my 30 AMP service
at home. I have a 2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #9

Costco sells a 140 AH, RV/Marine, size 24 Interstate Battery for $76

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote