Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

TT on 3 wheels how far can I go?????

If I had a flat on one tire and I would remove IT, how far can I go with 3 ??? So I can reach a safe place to make the change. Just for the if.

One yr old tires.....5 yr tires how far?????
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Too many variables, age of tires, temperatures, road conditions, are all factors in this. A few miles maybe. Keep in mind that you would be doubling the weight on that one tire that's left on the one side. I would slow down, turn the flashers on, and get off the freeway ASAP.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #3

Pure curiosity, but unless you didn't have a spare, if your going to pull over and jack the trailer up and pull the blown tire where it sits anyhow, why wouldn't you put on the spare? I haven't yet had a blowout, but I assume even with a blowout the dual axels would rotate weight onto the blown tire requiring you to jack the trailer up to remove the blown tire

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

Seems if you taking the time to remove one tire, it would be a no brainer to throw the new tire on. Not sure you could drive anywhere with 3 tires on 4 hubs...bigger question is Why? If it's unsafe to put a tire on, wouldn't it also be unsafe to take one off ?

Easier to just sign on to a motor club and let them worry about it.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
Site Team

I have much experience in this area. Go no farther than you have to in order to get out of traffic and safely stop.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

The GVWR on your trailer is determined by the maximum weight capacity of all four tires. Read the max weight on the side of one tire, then multiply by four. I'm sure that number will match the GVWR on the yellow sticker on the side of your trailer.

That said, if your trailer weighs more than 3/4 of the GVWR, then all three remaining tires are overloaded. So my recommendation is to drive no further than you must. As was stated earlier, if you jack up the trailer to remove the bad tire, why would you not put the spare on?

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #7

A problem that I see with this scenario is that you really have no idea whether you have damaged the single tire while doing the work of two.

Some other things to consider.

The missing tire can cause the axle to unload on the opposite side so you are really loading up two tires, not three.

It isn't unusual for a dual axle to only have trailer brakes on one axle. If the missing wheel is on that axle then you only have one tire doing the braking.

Crawling along might be ok, but that has its dangers on an interstate or highway. That said, from experience I can say that changing a tire on an interstate is no fun either.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

Good info guys. Thanks for clearing that. I was told to keep going until a safe place. My thinking WAS, why drag the flat.

Thanks, got it.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #9

Another consideration - if you drive too far on the flat, it can start to deteriorate and shred. FAST! And the pieces flying off can damage the wheel well openings (plastic), valance (light aluminum), and even rip off brake wires. I've seen that happen, first-hand, with a friend of mine. By the time he realized he had a blowout and got pulled over, all that damage, and more, occurred. He even had damage to the dinette seat above the plastic wheel well. And my tires are beneath the slideouts on either side, so there could be damage done to the slideout wiring harness (12V, 120V, and control wires). The further you drive on the flat tire, the more likely something(s) will be damaged - not to mention the pretty aluminum mag wheel!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #10

This happened to my son on the Interstate. We were following him pulling another trailer and saw the whole thing. What we did worked out great and nobody got hurt.

* Pulled over and stopped immediately.
* called 911.
* The police knew a good local station that serviced the interstate and he called him.
* The police stood by with lights flashing all the time the service guy took care of the problem.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #11

4 way flashers on ..next exit 25 mph max.. stay on the shoulder...
I had to do that this summer...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch N Go View Post
If I had a flat on one tire and I would remove IT, how far can I go with 3 ??? So I can reach a safe place to make the change. Just for the if.

One yr old tires.....5 yr tires how far?????
To the side of the road only. Swap to the spare. You do have the correct wrench and jack aboard? The spare is properly inflated?

That'll take you all the way to the nearest tire store to get the damaged tire repaired or replaced.

------------

When 1 tire fails, the other 3 are now running with 25% more weight on them. The pressure in them was for less weight. The heat buildup from improper loading becomes a factor very quickly.

Plus the whole suspension system is out of whack! The friction of the tires versus the pull from the hitch goes crazy.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Another consideration - if you drive too far on the flat, it can start to deteriorate and shred. FAST! And the pieces flying off can damage the wheel well openings (plastic), valance (light aluminum), and even rip off brake wires. I've seen that happen, first-hand, with a friend of mine. By the time he realized he had a blowout and got pulled over, all that damage, and more, occurred. He even had damage to the dinette seat above the plastic wheel well. And my tires are beneath the slideouts on either side, so there could be damage done to the slideout wiring harness (12V, 120V, and control wires). The further you drive on the flat tire, the more likely something(s) will be damaged - not to mention the pretty aluminum mag wheel!
Don't forget about the propane lines. I hadn't thought of those until a couple days ago when someone was telling me about a flat she was helping with on her dad's 5er. All that damage, plus it shredded one of the propane lines. The tanks and pigtails have safety valves just for this, but still...

I looked under my trailer, and the distribution block for the propane system is just inches in front of the front curb-side tire on my trailer. If that tire goes violently, I would be concerned about those propane lines too.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
The GVWR on your trailer is determined by the maximum weight capacity of all four tires. Read the max weight on the side of one tire, then multiply by four. I'm sure that number will match the GVWR on the yellow sticker on the side of your trailer.

That said, if your trailer weighs more than 3/4 of the GVWR, then all three remaining tires are overloaded. So my recommendation is to drive no further than you must. As was stated earlier, if you jack up the trailer to remove the bad tire, why would you not put the spare on?
I thought GVWR was based on the axle ratings and not the tire ratings?

My GVWR is 8995 and the total of my tires rating is 10160.

Also I think it's a stretch to say that all 3 of the remaining tires would be overloaded. That would depend on balance. One tire could be severely overloaded and the other two could be just fine. Lot of variables but the answer to go no further than necessary for safety would seem to be the best answer.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #15
Site Team

I know of one member that had an axle spindle failure. They called for road assistance and their solution was to remove both wheels on the bad axle and limp several miles to a gas station where a new axle had to be ordered and then installed. This method would of course place ALL the weight on one axle and 2 tires. I`m not recommending this and have no idea how often this is attempted by those that do this for a living, just passing it on.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I know of one member that had an axle spindle failure. They called for road assistance and their solution was to remove both wheels on the bad axle and limp several miles to a gas station where a new axle had to be ordered and then installed. This method would of course place ALL the weight on one axle and 2 tires. I`m not recommending this and have no idea how often this is attempted by those that do this for a living, just passing it on.
1) We don't ordinarily carry a spare spindle. So we are dealing with a slightly different scenario.
2) The owner was instructed to put 100% of the weight on the remaining axel (2 tires) for the trip to the repair shop. The axle and tires were certainly overloaded, but still in balance. The OP suggested 3 tires, leaving out hypothetical trailer way out of balance.
3) The owner was instructed to drive slowly (limp) to the repair. The OP here was trying to figure how much he can get away with after a failure and improper repair.

So, the member with the bad spindle followed an expert's advice and all was well eventually.

Hopefully, no one here will try to continue their journey at full speed after they have lost a tire.

And proud of it!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
1) We don't ordinarily carry a spare spindle. So we are dealing with a slightly different scenario.
2) The owner was instructed to put 100% of the weight on the remaining axel (2 tires) for the trip to the repair shop. The axle and tires were certainly overloaded, but still in balance. The OP suggested 3 tires, leaving out hypothetical trailer way out of balance.
3) The owner was instructed to drive slowly (limp) to the repair. The OP here was trying to figure how much he can get away with after a failure and improper repair.

So, the member with the bad spindle followed an expert's advice and all was well eventually.

Hopefully, no one here will try to continue their journey at full speed after they have lost a tire.

Yes I realize these are two entirely different scenarios, was just passing this on as food for thought.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yes I realize these are two entirely different scenarios, was just passing this on as food for thought.
Yes, and it was quite tasty.

And proud of it!