Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

Turn Off 120V Power to Fridge front pass thru locker

I just picked up a 2015 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL. Love the camper, but I was surprised to see the small fridge located in the front storage pass through locker is always on. It has no internal thermostat of on/off control and appears to be hardwired into the unreachable portion of its secured area, connected to the outlet that is in the storage locker under the bed mattress.

How do I turn power off to this fridge when it is not needed? I leave mine camper plugged in most of the time at home, but would like to save energy and not run this appliance 24x7.

Short of crawling in there and installing a switch near the unit in the storage compartment, what have others done to turn these off?

Thanks.
ScottB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #2

Figure it which circuit it's on, and flip the breaker off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #3

You could try the breaker for the GFCI outlets.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #4

If you reach around the right side to the back you can feel the thermostat knob. You can use this to turn it off. When you turn it back on you will have to adjust the temperature again. It could have been laid out better. I will probably install some kind of shut off switch. Also it is wired to the ground fault circuit on the trailer so if it trips the ref will shut off. It's just one off those things that could have been given a little more thought.
Happy camping
Jack
jkelly3919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly3919 View Post
If you reach around the right side to the back you can feel the thermostat knob. You can use this to turn it off. When you turn it back on you will have to adjust the temperature again. It could have been laid out better. I will probably install some kind of shut off switch. Also it is wired to the ground fault circuit on the trailer so if it trips the ref will shut off. It's just one off those things that could have been given a little more thought.
Happy camping
Jack
I was wondering if I could turn off the frig, I have a long handled mirror I will try that to see if I van turn mine off also where the knob is pointed so I can turn it back to where it was set.
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #6

I have a 2014 WH but it sounds like the same set up. The Tstat on?off dial is on the right side all the way to the rear and inset on the top back edge. It is a total blind reach. I did a couple of things. 1/ I cut a 6"x6" access hole in the panel enclosing the right side of the unit. That makes it easier to get to the knob but it is still by feel only. 2] I found that the fridge is actually plugged into an outlet behind the fridge compartment. If you look in from the other side access door, you s/b able to see where the outlet is located on the panel separating the storage area from the main cabin area. I plugged a 3' appliance type extension cord into the outlet and stretched it to the access hole I cut in the panel and then plugged the fridge into the extension. When I don't want to leave the fridge on, I just unplug it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

I like this idea. only have to crawl in there to see things once. thanks everyone for the info and ideas
Old 08-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB1957 View Post
I like this idea. only have to crawl in there to see things once. thanks everyone for the info and ideas
We use the outside fridge primarily for drinks and find it very handy keeping us from having to open the main fridge inside so much. No doubt Jayco got a very good deal on these units but didn't care or didn't do a good job checking out the design. Made my mod after the first long trip and it has worked fine. No need to constantly try to get the tstat adjusted each time. Just unplug from the extension and its ready to go the next time you want to use it. I actually left it on since returning from our winter trip in mid march. Still keep water and a few cokes in it and it comes in handy when I am outside mowing or working in the barn. Secretly I am wanting it to fail so I can buy a replacement that will have a front or internal tstat switch.

I had a devil of a time getting the thing adjusted the first time out. Wanted to freeze drinks and I must have adjusted it down a little each time for several days before I got it where it wouldn't freeze things.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB1957 View Post
I just picked up a 2015 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL. Love the camper, but I was surprised to see the small fridge located in the front storage pass through locker is always on. It has no internal thermostat of on/off control and appears to be hardwired into the unreachable portion of its secured area, connected to the outlet that is in the storage locker under the bed mattress.

How do I turn power off to this fridge when it is not needed? I leave mine camper plugged in most of the time at home, but would like to save energy and not run this appliance 24x7.

Short of crawling in there and installing a switch near the unit in the storage compartment, what have others done to turn these off?

Thanks.
I opted for the extra storage instead of this fridge on my 27DSRL but looking at the spot in my storage area it looks like it just plugs into a receptacle behind the fridge. How about plugging in a short surge protector with an on/off switch where you can get to it next to the fridge and then the fridge to the surge protector?

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

The power strip with surge protector is not a bad idea. Would provide a few outlets to the storage locker at the same time if mounted on the Fridge compartment's side wall. If I do it, will post pics.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:33 PM   #11

I just removed a panel and got to the plug then plugged into a power strip that I mounted just inside the access door. It's nice to have the extra plugs and I just flip the switch when not in use.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote