Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #1

Turn off radio

How do you turn the power off the radio. No not the on/off button, I want no current flow to the radio. At night when boondocking thereis still power to the radio?
burgiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #2

Yes, the radio always has power drawing from the battery. You would need to pull the fuse to completely kill it. You can also add a 12v switch to completely kill the radio so you don't have to pull a fuse every night.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
Yes, the radio always has power drawing from the battery. You would need to pull the fuse to completely kill it. You can also add a 12v switch to completely kill the radio so you don't have to pull a fuse every night.

-Michael
Have u done this? Do u know if the fuse is at the radio?
24RL, TT, 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4, 8.1, 4:11 gears, real gas guzzler BUT it gets us there!
I'm so old I fart dust!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

I have not done this. The fuse should be with the rest of the 12v fuses for the TT.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
I have not done this. The fuse should be with the rest of the 12v fuses for the TT.

-Michael
I’ll ck, the wiring diagram show tv and dvd and lights on same fuse!
24RL, TT, 2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4, 8.1, 4:11 gears, real gas guzzler BUT it gets us there!
I'm so old I fart dust!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

If it helps, I’ll be putting a toggle switch to the left of the radio in the access panel with the wires spliced in.
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:20 AM   #7

My old TT had two fuses to the radio. One for the circuit with the radio and a second in-line fuse behind the radio.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #8

We have a 145rb with a radio/cd player installed in an overhead cabinet mounted to the sidewall and ceiling. Inside the cabinet is a cover panel that can be removed by removing the the screws that hold the panel in place. All the wiring for the radio unit is exposed by removing the small wood panel. The 12 volt in-line fuse is in with all the wiring spaghetti. It would be very impractical to removed the panel to remove the fuse each time you wanted to cut the power to the radio. One could install a 12 volt on/off switch in the radio power supply wire and mount the switch somewhere inside the overhead cabinet. I have previously removed the above mentioned panel to access the radio wiring when I replaced the original AM/FM radio with a Radio/CD player. I left the inline fuse holder in place and did not install an on/off switch because I re-charge the battery with a generator when the battery needs to be charged.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #9

I wanted to add additional 12 volt outlets and USB ports near my radio. Like you, I also wanted to be able to turn the radio completely off to eliminate the phantom load. I pulled the radio out and there was a real spaghetti bowl of wiring behind it. I located the incoming power and routed that to a panel I bought with 4 outlets. In the first, I installed an on/off rocker switch that controlled the whole panel (and also the radio). In the other three, I had a 12 volt cigarette lighter type outlet, a USB outlet, and a volt meter. Works great and not really very difficult to do.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #10

You didn't state what year/model your Jayco is but if it is like ours the radio shares the fused circuit with the CO/LP leak detector. I don't think you want to pull the fuse to kill the radio. Our 2018 21QB radio has a cover over the knobs and buttons that just pulls off so you can get to four screws that holds the radio in place. Take those out and the radio pulls straight out. You will see the power wire with the inline fuse. On the radio side of the fuse there are two wires, one for radio power and the other to supply power for the memory. I would disable both by inserting a switch in the line on the power side of the fuse. I got a rocker switch with a red LED pilot light from Amazon and inserted it through the wood panel beside the radio. You may want to locate in a spot the best suits you trailer's layout.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgiebill View Post
How do you turn the power off the radio. No not the on/off button, I want no current flow to the radio. At night when boondocking there is still power to the radio?
Also Turn off your Antenna amplifier that will drain down the battery ..Normally there located by the tv .
ShortCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortCircuit View Post
Also Turn off your Antenna amplifier that will drain down the battery ..Normally there located by the tv .
Thanks, never gave that one a thought!
I'm so old I fart dust!
Old 02-22-2019, 10:21 PM   #13

Done it. I even moved my radio. As others said, there is the master fuse for the full circuit in the fuse box. There is a glass fuse right behind the radio.

Pull the radio, add a bit of wire, and cut in a switch.

I also pulled a new wire from the fuse box, and installed two 12v aux outlets. You will find all the lower shelves in the cabinets are hollow, and the wires run through them. About a million staples hold the shelf down. Carefully pry the shelf up. Carefully remove the staples. I then let gravity hold the bottom shelf in place. I did this in a few places when I added additional lights too.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:53 AM   #14

On my 2008 StarCraft 14/RT both leads of the automotive type AM/FM Radio were wired to same 12VDC connection. I separated out the IGNITION KEY lead and added a 12VDC SWITCH to turn the AM/FM Radio on like it would be done in an automobile... The 12VDC SWITCH is installed to the right of the AM/FM Automotive type radio...

Roy's image

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgiebill View Post
Have u done this? Do u know if the fuse is at the radio?
In my trailer there are two fuses. One is in the main panel, the other one is in the area behind the radio. Even if yours doens't have a fuse behind it, that would be the best place to install your switch in the power line to the radio so you don't turn off something else if the radio is not on a dedicated circuit.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:41 PM   #16

Hold the power button down. It will disconnect from all parasitic power.

2016 23MB Jayflight
2016 GMC 1500 5.3 4X4 Z71
jtrhodes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #17

Thank u, almost just too easy!
I'm so old I fart dust!
Old 02-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #18

On our Pinnacle the on off radio switch works both to turn off the unit by pressing the button, to turn off the power press and hold the button and the power lighting will go off.
James Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semix-Hex View Post
If it helps, I’ll be putting a toggle switch to the left of the radio in the access panel with the wires spliced in.
Did that on my TT, easy to pull the radio by removing screws on the front plate. Pull it out to get to the red power + cable. Drilled a hole thru the cabnet next to my entertainment center. wired the spliced power cable to the toggle [got at Auto Zone] and stuck it thru the hole from the inside. Tighten it with the nut and you are good to go. Toggle it off and all the lights go out. Want to listen to it just toggle it on. You do loose any presets when you switch it off.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #20

Not sure if I have the same radio, but on our model, hold the on/off switch down (a few seconds) until the light goes off and the radio is off - dra2wing no power.
bwalden is offline   Reply With Quote