Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

TV and Mount recommendation

We just pick up our new 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 195RB
Would like a recommendation on TV brand and size, and mount.
Would love any help or ideas from someone who has this model and has installed a TV with mount.
Thanks
Tim
Old 12-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #2

I was going to until I called Jayco and they said the 195RB has no hard point in the wall to accept it.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #3

I was going to make a similar thread asking for recommendations for 12v DC TV's. I was trying to find out which models have the 12v dc power brick but I can't tell by looking online.
Jc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:08 AM   #4

Newer TVs draw very little power. I did a test and can run a 110v 48” on an inverter for 10 hours straight with 2 standard hybrid deep cycles. Get a smart TV and you can even watch Netflix on your phone hot spot if you have data.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Newer TVs draw very little power. I did a test and can run a 110v 48” on an inverter for 10 hours straight with 2 standard hybrid deep cycles. Get a smart TV and you can even watch Netflix on your phone hot spot if you have data.
That is what I was thinking! A 24" LED TV draws 20-25 watts. A 48" LED draws about 45. I calculated being able to run mine for 4-6 hours on a single deep cycle battery (based on loose calculations mostly favoring less available power and more consumption than is realistic)

Seems like the response I got to my quick and dirty calculations was "OMG u will need more Batts and 3000 watt inverter!!!!"

Truth is, though it's hard to say exactly what will happen until you're out there (accidently fall asleep with the tv on, forget to shut down the inverter, etc.) Watt hours are watt hours any way you look at it. The numbers don't lie, especially if you're very conservative with the calculations.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

I used a " Mount-It " LCD-CM211 $39.00 AND A 21 " INSIGNA TV $65.00 5.5 LBS. I mounted it to the wood under a cabinet .
Old 12-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #7

I've been looking also for a 12V TV with DVD player. I read a bit here:

https://campaddict.com/12-volt-tv/

https://buyitforvanlife.com/best-12v-rv-tv-2018/

https://www.usautoauthority.com/best-rv-tvs/

Considering this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0066ACQKU...=2ADYTD41WILOD

I read at a site that while the Jensen and others are made for RVs, most folks have years of service with a "regular" TV.

Best,
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperTim View Post
We just pick up our new 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 7 195RB
Would like a recommendation on TV brand and size, and mount.
Would love any help or ideas from someone who has this model and has installed a TV with mount.
Thanks
Tim

I don't have a SLX 195 but I can recommend a LG smart TV.

Mine is 32" and the most important part is, the USB port on the back has enough juice to fire up one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Porta...00H4XH5FY?th=1

I have it loaded up with 32 movies, 7 seasons (150> episodes) of Blue Bloods, 57 tunes, my desktop docs, desktop favorites and a few I don't recall. And it's not even close to full.

Whereas my home Panasonic Smart TV's USB port will not fire off this hard drive......it just blinks. Consensus from techy friends are the TV is not putting out enough power to the USB port..yet works fine with the home desktop......I am not savvy enough to tell you how many mA are needed on any particular devise.

I do know the LG USB port works, the Panasonic )less than 5 yrs old) does not.

Hope this helps with a TV brand choice.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #9

Jayco Response

Here is the response I received from Jayco, regarding mounting a TV to wall.
This really sucks...Is their quality good? How are the cabinets staying up? Will they fall down?

I don’t think that is something I would do due to the fact that we have not built the wall with the proper support structure to hold a TV or the power supply and antenna prep.

Steve Smith
Jayco Travel Trailers – Central US
Old 12-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperTim View Post
Here is the response I received from Jayco, regarding mounting a TV to wall.
This really sucks...Is their quality good? How are the cabinets staying up? Will they fall down?

I don’t think that is something I would do due to the fact that we have not built the wall with the proper support structure to hold a TV or the power supply and antenna prep.

Steve Smith
Jayco Travel Trailers – Central US
Some units have that support built in, some don't.

My SLX unit has two TV mount supported walls.....living and bedroom.

However I can emphasize with your pains on the walls in general.....especially the interior dividing ones.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #11

I did not mention previously but Jayco said the walls were not reinforced but I could mount it to the counter-top. They also said I might consider reinforcement of the cabinet wall and mount it there. In my case, I would have to remove the AC to reinforce it from the inside.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #12

There is a real benefit in NOT having the TV mounted.. We can spin ours around on the countertop to face the dinette or the bed as needed and if we are in the backcountry where it would be a waste it stays in the wardrobe where it has its own padded cell..er drawer.
We thought about mounting but the 195 has no beefed up support to mount it to and on some bumpy roads I really do not want electronics to pull out the wall and smash themselves on the floor.

We got a cheap AC DC TV at Wal Mart.. Its only 19 inches but sufficient for use. It does have a DVD player.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #13

We got a cheap AC DC TV at Wal Mart.. Its only 19 inches but sufficient for use. It does have a DVD player.[/QUOTE]

Curious about the brand?

TIA
Steve
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
We got a cheap AC DC TV at Wal Mart.. Its only 19 inches but sufficient for use. It does have a DVD player.

Curious about the brand?

TIA
Steve[/QUOTE]

Axcess.. It so far has behaved! Cable or OTA. I see the model now is 24 inches. It might be that.. It does fine on both wall power and the 12 v socket.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #15

I would definitely go with one that is AC/DC. I have a small 13" we bought years ago before we even thought about buying our 195RB this summer, it's worked out great! I don't have to worry about have electrical hookups and at night when we shut off the generator we can still have TV. I think we are going to get one of the bigger SuperSonics on Amazon or maybe the one mentioned above at Walmart.

As for mounting right now we just put in on the counter. After our warranty is out I'll probably run a cable hookup to the outside just in case we want to have a movie night around the fire.
mharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #16

If you really want to mount to a wall. A good RV shop should be able to remove a wall panel and add mounting support for you. I have no idea what cost would be but that would give you an option.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #17

I'm not sure what the tv area looks like in your model but in mine we have a cabinet below where I would mount it. For now we have just been setting the tv on the cabinet when we arrive which works fine.

My thought was to run a piece of 1x4 or 1x6 from the cabinet top to the ceiling (supposing theres something decent to attach to at the ceiling or top of wall) and then screw into the 1x4. Yeah it's exposed but if you look around you should be able to find a stain that is close to the cabinet color and it's behind the TV anyway..
Old 12-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #18

Ours goes into Camping World next April for a brake check before we head to Colorado. I asked about a mount for a television. They told us that if one can be mounted you need to remove the television from the mount before traveling with the trailer. Reason being the mount is there to support the television so you can watch it but not to stay permanent. So they will see if where we want it can be put there. I think there is a mount bracket there but not sure. Having a television on the counter is counter productive when it comes to space. So fingers crossed we can place the television where we want it. I measured the wall and find a 24 inch is the biggest the wall can handle. Found one with all the bells and whistles at Sams Club so fingers crossed that it can be done. Good to see this brought up. It is also a concern of mine as well. Happy camping.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #19

I was surprised how big of a challenge finding a TV for my camper would be. It seems it's an extremely small market.

I found mine here: https://mycamperfriend.com/12-volt-tv/

What I'd recommend is getting one with a built-in DVD player. Really helps on those rainy days. Been there.

Also, if you're not used to do-it-yourself projects, you may want to have someone install it for you.

That's all I can think of right now.

And thanks for the information and links provided in the thread above - it really helped with my decision making.
ClarkPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #20

Do you have picture of your mount under the cabinet?
DIRKF1978 is offline   Reply With Quote