Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

TV Antenna Issue

We are on our first trip in our new 2021 264BH and am having an issue with the antenna. On our old camper, in this same campground, we had no issues picking up lots of channels, it was the type that you raised from inside the camper and you could spin it to help with reception. This new one is the shark fin that is in a fixed position and we are basically getting nothing. I have the amplifier on (light is on)and have tried all 3 locations (dining room, bedroom and outside), even tried using a different coaxial. Wondering if it may be something simple as the dealer is about an hour away from our house and I would hate to have to take it all the way there just for this as everything else in the unit seems to be working good. Also, there is little to no interference from trees or anything and we are only about 10 miles north of metro Orlando, should be able to get a lot of channels here, thank you in advance.
Struckrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

If you have three outlets then you have a splitter somewhere. Check it and look at all three and the splitter to make sure each end is properly made. If the copper tip (stinger) is bent or broken or has any of the fine cable guard wires touching it then the signal can be degraded. Also, the power amp may be bad or there can be a screw or nail run through the cable.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #3

There are discussions about the "shark fin" antenna. I have talked to Jayco also to Steiner Enterprises the manufacturer of the antenna and they don't think there are any problems. Well there is but how do you convince them.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #4

We also have the “shark fin” on our camper. We get very poor reception compared to our old TT with the crank up “bat wing”. This May we were camping with friends at the same spot. One had a unaimed bat wing that wasn’t cranked up, one has a Wingaurd Razor that we aimed for best reception, and one had a saucer type fixed antenna that being on a toyhauler was about 1.5 feet higher n the air than our shark fin. ALL of them got more channels than we did. Some even had the exact same tv as us. To fix the situation, I bought a figure 8 looking antenna from Walmart. I chose this style because of the more sturdy construction. The last time we camped, I put it on a pole, and attached it to the ladder. I would say we were 5-6 feet above the roof. I roughly aimed it at the nearest city and BOOM more channels than anybody else in our group! Even though the new antenna wasn’t amplified! I just fed it in through the cable tv connection on the side of our unit. I hope this helps someone. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #5

One of my tv’s has a signal strength meter so I started messing with the coaxial at the connection where the amplifier is and if I pulled it a certain way, it would get a decent signal, not great but decent so I attached a pair of vice grips to it so it pulled down on the coaxial and was able to get 15 channels or so. Pretty ridiculous to have to do something like this on a brand new unit, this antenna is a piece of junk. I really don’t have any other gripes with this unit (other than the bathroom sink being outside the bathroom door) and that may seem like a small thing but when you have a couple of young grandchildren with you and it is raining outside, the tv becomes pretty important. I guess I will keep a library of DVD’s in it at all times in case the vice grip fix stops working.
Struckrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:18 PM   #6

I have the same problem with my 2021 Jay Feather 27BHB, Neighbors in the campground with a better antenna receive several stations but I get nothing. I’m sure the Shark Fin antenna works fine in the city but I don’t usually camp in the city. I purchased a Winegard Sensar 4 to replace the Shark Fin. Does anyone know the best way to remove the Shark Fin? I’ve been told it just sticks on the roof and has to be gently pryed off. Its a shame I have to do this on a new trailer. I expected more from the Jayco brand, Thanks for any and all advice.
Dwills6735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #7

Another with a 2021 model and the shark fin that barely works
Old 04-21-2021, 04:08 PM   #8

I can’t pick up anything with the shark fin antennae on my 264BH. I’m only about 30 miles from major network broadcasts with nothing to interfere. I have bought a new antennae and I’m going to try it out tomorrow. But how should I run the coaxial cable from it to the TVs
Troy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:04 PM   #9

Do you turn on the antenna booster switch ??
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #10

I use an extra amplifier with mine it helps a lot
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Do you turn on the antenna booster switch ??
Yes. I turned on the booster. At least the light was on so I am assuming that means that it is active.
Troy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #12

This is another one of these brainstorms that the RV industry has forced on everyone as the new and great feature. Kind of like this abomination in table legs. You can complain to no end about this stuff, but the answers will be like Jolvi said, "there are no problems that we know of".

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:02 AM   #13

Hey while were on this subject, that is supposed to be a "diversity" antenna on there. So I know when you do a scan it shows like 60 RF channels so what the heck I assume they are talking radio but don't get many of those either.
Jolvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:42 AM   #14

Don't trust the green light

I actually had the booster go bad. Green light was on, it was getting 12v, but it wasn't actually boosting anything. A replacement did the trick...
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan View Post
I actually had the booster go bad. Green light was on, it was getting 12v, but it wasn't actually boosting anything. A replacement did the trick...
How did they figure out that the antennae was bad?
Old 04-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #16

I was the "tech" for that one. Ohm checked all the cables, they were good. Replaced splitter with a known good one from the house. Then it was either the booster or antenna. Booster was easier and cheaper to replace, and I got lucky.
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
This is another one of these brainstorms that the RV industry has forced on everyone as the new and great feature. Kind of like this abomination in table legs. You can complain to no end about this stuff, but the answers will be like Jolvi said, "there are no problems that we know of".

It's been three years now and we JUST figured out how to collapse and set up this thing without two people and an argument.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
It's been three years now and we JUST figured out how to collapse and set up this thing without two people and an argument.
We got new legs after our first trip. We take our table outside. What a pain. I thought for sure I'd lose a finger.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:07 PM   #19

2021 267bhs with the no reception "SHARKFIN" , will be talking to dealer when back from camping. Buddy 1 site over is getting 46 channels with his crank up bat wing style. Tried every possible scenario to get anything but no go.
Wife's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote