Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

tv hookup

hi everyone,
i have a 2005 eagle i just purchased used. im wondering how to change the tv setup from using the antenna to using the cable hookup on the outside of the trailer. i took the old analog tv's out and im putting in flat screen tv's. there were digital to analog converter boxes for the old tv's but i didnt know how to switch from the antenna to cable that the campground supplies.....i have most of the manuals that come with the trailer except the ones for the tv's and the speaker system...also does anyone know the built in speaker ohmage...the previous owner said that a lightning strike blew out the reciever that came with the trailer. i want to replace it but not sure what to replace it with....any help will be greatly appreciated....

thanks, bobps47
bobps47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #2

For the cable, you don't need to do anything special, its all connected together. Just connect the coax on the outside of the trailer and switch your TV to search for cable channels instead of over the air, and don't turn on the antenna power booster.

For the speakers just pull one out and look at the back of the magnet, it should be printed with the Ohm rating. However, matching Ohms isn't real important for a travel trailer. Lower Ohms simply draw more power. Its only an issue if you are trying to play music for the entire campground and the low impedance speakers draw too much power and burn out the head unit. I'd be less concerned about Ohm rating and more concerned about finding speakers that fit and still have a nice sound.

In most instances the receivers that came with a lot of trailers were just garbage. You can replace it with any decent automotive head unit. Buy a generic mounting kit with it and you should have no trouble mounting it. Anything in the $80 to $100 range will work nicely and most have axillary inputs now for MP3 players.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote