Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 01:43 AM   #1

TV interference

I have a new 16ft StarCraft, the TV loses picture (it goes blue)when I press stove ignitor or water heater ignitor operates. Have to turn TV off and on again. Have checked and TV is on a different circuit to ignitors. Can anyone help.
Domar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:35 AM   #2
Site Team

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Radio+...ter&FORM=QSRE3

Try a rf interference filter on your tv antenna coax.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:55 AM   #3

Powered Antenna? Maybe when you hit those things it flips out?
That's really a interesting situation you got there. Like the old TV shows where they turn on the faucet and the water comes out the stove!
If you have one of those powered antenna amplifiers, see if you can notice if the light flickers when you hit the igniter. I'll bet Norty1 is on to something there. Some kind of electrical interference. Hope you figure it out and I can't wait to see the answer!

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domar View Post
I have a new 16ft StarCraft, the TV loses picture (it goes blue)when I press stove ignitor or water heater ignitor operates. Have to turn TV off and on again. Have checked and TV is on a different circuit to ignitors. Can anyone help.
Would a ferrite on the 12v lead to tv eliminate ant interference. It is a manual operated satellitedish going through a free to air decoder to tv.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 AM   #5

I have the same problem on my Furrion DVD player. It turns OFF for a second or two and then back ON when watching a DVD and the propane furnace igniter lights the furnace. My RV Dealer doesn't know what is causing it. They asked JAYCO and they said they hadn't heard of the problem. JAYCO suggested testing the converter since everything runs through it. The RV dealer tested the converter and says it's fine. The are now adding some kind of filter. We will see what happens. Anyone else have an idea? 2016 JAYCO 23RBM. Shore power on. Tow vehicle NOT attached. A few lights on but no other appliances on.

What do you think???

I found this online......may be a clue?

Furnace interferes with radio and television:
For several years, when my furnace burner comes on it creates static on AM radio on both household radios. Since Time-Warner changed over to digital cable signal last fall, both of my household televisions now get interference whenever the furnace burner comes on. My furnace man says my furnace is fine. He put in a new igniter a year ago but it didn't stop the interference. He said he could put in a new furnace if I wished, but he couldn't guarantee it would stop the interference. Have any of you experienced a similar problem, and were you able to resolve it?

Comment:
Your cable is letting the interference get through. If you've seen a cable without an end on it, you see a wire in the middle, surrounded by insulation, then a wire braid with foil, then the outer insulation. The wire braid with foil is not only a ground, but also is what protects against interference getting to the inside wire. So you should look for cable that's been damaged or splitters done poorly, especially near the furnace or alongside the power wires that feed it. Depending on how much static the burner is putting out, though, it would easily interfere with a bad connection anywhere in the house.
Deneb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #6

[QUOTE=Deneb1953;495363]I have the same problem on my Furrion DVD player. It turns OFF for a second or two and then back ON when watching a DVD and the propane furnace igniter lights the furnace. My RV Dealer doesn't know what is causing it. They asked JAYCO and they said they hadn't heard of the problem. JAYCO suggested testing the converter since everything runs through it. The RV dealer tested the converter and says it's fine. The are now adding some kind of filter. We will see what happens. Anyone else have an idea? 2016 JAYCO 23RBM. Shore power on. Tow vehicle NOT attached. A few lights on but no other appliances on.

I have the same problem in my White Hawk. When the furnace kicks on the TV flickers even when I'm watching a DVD movie not just when using air channels. Did you ever found out what caused this?

Thanks
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

Not yet. Picking up my trailer from the dealer tomorrow. They are installing some kind of a filter in the system. Ill let you know how it works.
Deneb1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #8

I had trouble losing picture on TV when ever an ignitor clicked on. Jayco say " never had this before"...Yeah right! After lots of investigation took out the supplied Sphere tv and installed a better quality one problem fixed. The Sphere draws a lot more current than the new one and it seems the ignitor draws enough current away to lose the picture. New TV draws a lot less current. If it was possible could install heavier wires on supply side to TV and may eliminate the problem.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domar View Post
I had trouble losing picture on TV when ever an ignitor clicked on. Jayco say " never had this before"...Yeah right! After lots of investigation took out the supplied Sphere tv and installed a better quality one problem fixed. The Sphere draws a lot more current than the new one and it seems the ignitor draws enough current away to lose the picture. New TV draws a lot less current. If it was possible could install heavier wires on supply side to TV and may eliminate the problem.
Not sure how they could of never heard of such a thing?? I'm sure this happens more than not. I will be replacing the TV soon myself for a smart TV.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #10

I have had many years experience tracking down TV interference from powerlines. It seems that whenever you have an energized conductor that is loose enough, the porcelean insulators track and there will be a static arc at the insulator or on the metal attachments for the down guys as it arcs across the thin film of oxidized metal between the metal parts. This arc, although tiny by the standards of the arc produced by the ignitor, covers a very broad band of frequencies which are likely being seen by the TV as a static signal and is interferring with the TV signal. In your case, the TV signal to the actual TV. Back in the days when everyone had over the air TV, these instances were very common especially7 as seen on the TV Your TV signal is an amplitude modulated signal and the hash an arc radiates can be a very strong signal. The reason the cable TV and satellite TV is more static free is because you receive your signal to the TV via a coaxial cable which is shielded by the nature of the outer layer of the cable.
I believe you will be able to shield your TV from the ignitor static by hard wiring between the Sat converter and the TV coax input. Make sure you have both ends of the coax connected to the chasis of both devices.

I am a former electronics instructor at the votech school and a graduate electrical engi8neer that has been woring in the electric utility industry for the last 37 years........ Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:34 AM   #11

I'm sooooo confused. Is TV an actual TV or aTow Vehicle?
Sorry but I hate the use of TV for Tow Vehicle.
DRbilllZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #12

Swampy - Great Post, very informative.

TV For more confusion

What does TV stand for?

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote