Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to 2008jeep
TV Mounting No No

I just purchased a Skylark that has the bed located in the front of the trailer. I wondered where I could put a TV, on the wall on the counter top that has drawers, didn't know and didn't dare until I talked to Jayco. It looks like the only place to mount a TV is on the counter top closest to the TV antenna and other hook ups closest to the bed. They said, "do not mount it to the wall"
2008jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

2008jeep,

For those folks following/viewing your "Phantom" thread you may want to update it with the results of your conversation with Jayco.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=5112

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #3

Out of curiosity, did they tell you 'why' you shouldn't mount to wall? I ask because my 2005 Jayco has a shelf in the bedroom for a tv, but it is way too high for the newer flat screens - when we put ours on it, we can't view it from a prone position due to the fact it looks too dark if it isn't viewed from a lower height. So i wanted to bring it down lower and mount to the wall. Obviously mine had a shelf installed with the CRT tube tv's in mind, but they are pretty much obsolete now, so I was going to wall mount. But now I am curious as to why Jayco says do not do it. Are the walls just too thin to support?

Something I thought about was the shelf lowers and retracts. I thought maybe mounting my tv to the shelf itself when in the closed/lowered position, since that wood might be stronger to maintain a small 19" flat screen and would preserve my wall.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGirl View Post
Out of curiosity, did they tell you 'why' you shouldn't mount to wall? .
CampingGirl,

I'm sure '2008jeep' will respond with the specifics of his phone conversation with Jayco, but I'll throw out some guesses:

* OP's Skylark is still under warranty, Jayco not wanting to be linked to a possible future warranty claim do to the mounting approval.

* If it was an "outer" wall in question a direct surface mount may effect the Skylark's bonded wall structure..., and I believe that Jayco avoids mounting TV's directly to outer walls in general with all models unless associated with a cabinet (?).

* If it was an inner wall on the Skylark, Jayco may feel that the lite weight frame structure (or lack of) won't support a TV mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGirl View Post
Something I thought about was the shelf lowers and retracts. I thought maybe mounting my tv to the shelf itself when in the closed/lowered position, since that wood might be stronger to maintain a small 19" flat screen and would preserve my wall.
I have the same folding shelf in my '05' Eagle bedroom (interior wall), and your idea has some merit. I would confirm that the existing top horizontal hinge frame is secured adequately into a wall stud (not just the thin wall panel), and add a means to insure that when the shelf is in the lowered position it can't be raised.

Just thinking out loud.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #5

They must be thinking of a "BIG HEAVY" analog TV set. Most LCDs HDTVs weigh under 20LBS. Best way to mount to a wall is to install a nice large piece of 1/2-inch board (12-inch by 24-inch or bigger) first to the wall using the spring TOGGLE BOLT WALL ANCHOR (search AMAZON to see what I am talking about) then mount the many mounting kits available from Walmart to the 1/2-inch board. I have even seen them mounted to cabinet doors...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #6

I have been looking at tv mounts for my Jay Flight 19RD. I do notice that all the tv mounts come with 2 1/2 screws. Maybe that is why Jayco is hesitant to recommend wall mounts. I think they use 2 inch walls. The tv I have is 19 inch and only weighs 5.7 pounds. I suspect the wall would hold it up if I got a mount and used shorter screws. I'm just not sure where the wires are in the wall where all of the tv connections are.
Wyotraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
They must be thinking of a "BIG HEAVY" analog TV set. Most LCDs HDTVs weigh under 20LBS. Best way to mount to a wall is to install a nice large piece of 1/2-inch board (12-inch by 24-inch or bigger) first to the wall using the spring TOGGLE BOLT WALL ANCHOR (search AMAZON to see what I am talking about) then mount the many mounting kits available from Walmart to the 1/2-inch board. I have even seen them mounted to cabinet doors...
The board idea is a good one (3/4" would be better than 1/2" though) but I would never attach anything only to the thin panelling of a wall. The idea of the board is to bridge studs, the more the merrier (up to a point, of course), and fasten directly to the studs. Tee nuts inserted on the back side of the board before mounting to the wall will provide a secure way to bolt the TV mounting bracket to the board.

I've never liked toggle bolts even though they are strong. They require too big of a hole to insert, are difficult to impossible to insert into narrow spaces, and the toggles will fall into the wall if the bolt is removed. Molly bolts are much better. When properly sized, they are just as strong as toggle bolts, the required hole is smaller, and the screw can be removed without losing the threaded portion. Although difficult, the anchor can be removed from a wall.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #8

I've done some more investigating. There is a shelf in my 19RD. I'm thinking the wall tilt mount mounted to vertical board which would be mounted to some plywood that sits on the shelf. It would allow the tv to be tilted and also screwed down to the shelf. May be the only answer. Hate to put the tv back in the box every time I travel.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #9

I got some side and back wall info from Jayco. Although my TV is only 5.7 pounds I think after looking at wall construction I'll just sit my TV on the shelf. The hanging brackets have torque since they are not next to the wall. I can see how that torque could cause some damage during travel. It looks like the vertical studs are 1 1/8 by 1 1/2. Looks like they use 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch Plywood or OSB either mounted exterior or interior for strength where they mount things.

I'm thinking if I wanted a TV mounted I should have asked for that if I ordered it out from the factory. Don't know if they offer that service or not. When I ordered out my Alpenlite from the factory several years ago they added several things that they had to change framing for during manufacturing.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008jeep View Post
I just purchased a Skylark that has the bed located in the front of the trailer. I wondered where I could put a TV, on the wall on the counter top that has drawers, didn't know and didn't dare until I talked to Jayco. It looks like the only place to mount a TV is on the counter top closest to the TV antenna and other hook ups closest to the bed. They said, "do not mount it to the wall"
I am confused - my 22FB has 2 stickers on the wall that say TV mounting spot:

I want to mount a 20 something inch LCD on an articulated arm in this spot - what should I do.
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post

I want to mount a 20 something inch LCD on an articulated arm in this spot - what should I do.
I would think that if Jayco put a sticker saying to mount there, then they have reinforced the area with plywood or something for the mount to attach to. If you didn't get any documents with your rig giving guidelines for what you can mount there, try contacting Jayco and tell them wht you intend to do.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post

My trailer has that same sticker on the bedroom wall. It feels very solid behind that sticker and that is where I may mount one someday. That is where you are supposed to mount them, where the sticker is so I say go for it, but use short screws as those walls are not very thick.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #13

The reason I suggest that the OP check with Jayco is the wall may not be rated for a TV cantilevered out from the wall on an articulated arm.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #14

I think you are right about the stress from the cantilever. I have a plan. My Jayflight 19RD has a shelf. I am going to cut a piece of plywood the width of the TV and depth of the shelf. Screw that plywood down to the shelf. Mount a vertical piece of wood onto that plywood that will hold my basic TV tilt bracket I just purchased. I won't have any cantilever problems. TV only weighs 6 pounds.

The wall is solid behind much of the stuff in the TV area. However, much of that rigidity is sections of 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch plywood behind the wall. Some of it is not actually plywood but OSB ply. It appears the studs are 1 1/8 X 1 1/2. If it wasn't for the shelf I might be tempted to mount a tilt wall mount only bracket but not a cantilever bracket that swings out and stresses the wall.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
CampingGirl,

I have the same folding shelf in my '05' Eagle bedroom (interior wall), and your idea has some merit. I would confirm that the existing top horizontal hinge frame is secured adequately into a wall stud (not just the thin wall panel), and add a means to insure that when the shelf is in the lowered position it can't be raised.

Just thinking out loud.

Bob
I have not checked the TT wall and shelf since I wrote that post, however, I am thinking if that shelf could hold the very heavy CRT TV i had on there previously it should hold the very lightweight flat panel ... but if I go that route I will double check to see if that hinge is in a stud. I would imagine it is or there would be no way it would hold that older heavy TV...well I wouldn't think so anyway.
CampingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #16

Our television is mounted on the wall where the sticker was. We did have the option of mounting it on the shelf or wall. We chose the wall so we would have more movement of the television while viewing from our chairs. We do have a cabinet behind where the tv is mounted so if it went through the wall it would only be into the cabinet which would be more support. We purchased a locking tv bracket from MOR/Ryde like this one which is swivels and tilts.

http://tweetys.com/tv-mount-double-swing-arm.aspx

Here is a picture of ours installed.
Attached Thumbnails
258.jpg  
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
Our television is mounted on the wall where the sticker was. We did have the option of mounting it on the shelf or wall. We chose the wall so we would have more movement of the television while viewing from our chairs. We do have a cabinet behind where the tv is mounted so if it went through the wall it would only be into the cabinet which would be more support. We purchased a locking tv bracket from MOR/Ryde like this one which is swivels and tilts.

http://tweetys.com/tv-mount-double-swing-arm.aspx

Here is a picture of ours installed.
Nice - but costs almost as much as the TV!

This one may work too:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-mount/51564
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #18

Flashman,

I have two 21" TVs mounted in my 22FB via brackets on the wall (one in that location and one in the bedroom where the other sticker resides) using these inexpensive but functional brackets and I have had no problems. I use bungee cords to keep them stationary when moving.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I paid $14.99 per for them but it looks like the price went up to $19.99. It's still a good deal considering that most places want like $50 for a mount!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #19

The closet wall in my rig is what I mounted the articulated arm that holds up my flat screen with. The wall was hollow, so I drilled a hole and shot some expanding foam between the two sheets of paneling to stiffen them up. Then I took a 2x2 foot piece of 1/2 plywood and glued and screwed it to the paneling in the closet. The arm is on the opposite side in the living and dining area. I mounted the arm with bolts and nuts. It's solid as a rock.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #20

What length screws would be safe to use for mounting in the bedroom of a 24T?