Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 AM   #1

TV Problem

I just picked up a new jay flight swift 267bhs. I installed a 29 vizio razor led. I cannot pick up any local channels on tv with power booster on or off and with the antenna cranked up. I have not tried hooking up to cable wire yet because, when at home i believe the tv need to go through a box to convert it ti digital sygnal so the tv will work. have not been camping yet to try at campground, so do not know if it works yet. Am i chasing my tail or do i have to wait till i get to campground for cable hook up or try and see if local channels with antenna up will work. Dont know if i am in a bad valley at my home and will not pick up local stations or if it is an antenna issue. I am not to good with the electronics part of stuff so any help will be appreciated. and yes tv does work in house hooked up to cable box.
mikeauto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 AM   #2

Go into the TV menu and do a channel search the TV will look for available signals. I have to do this with the RCA TV that came with my trailer. I am assuming that your antenna can accept digital signals also as you said it was a new trailer.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #3

Your VIZIO TV will need to search for analog and digital TV signals from the menu every time you change locations.

On picking up local digital HDTV you first have have to point the crankup antenna towards the local town that is sending out the digital TV signals...

The antenna BOOST button will have to be on on also. For now use the antenna connection on the TV PANEL where the black boost button is located.

GOTO the Vizio TV MENU and find TUNER MODE. You select either CABLE or ANTENNA
Then SELECT AUTO SEARCH
This will find all of the ANALOG and DIGITAL channels in range of your antenna.

This is all the same you do with your home TV.

Your OTA ANTENNA should pick all the available CBS-ABC-NBC-FOX-PBS Natl Broadcast signals from your local town.

The new NATL BROADCAST is now being broadcast is high definition which is better than what you get from most camp grounds. They are all ANALOG TV signals. Some of the camp grounds are just now changing over to HD tv mode.

Using my VIZIO TV when I start search for TV signals it starts looking for the analog signals first then the digital.
Search for the local digital station if I don't see any Digital TV stations numbers showing up in the search screen in the first 15% of search I will stop searching an then move the antenna a few degrees in either direct and restart search. The new broadcast is now using UHF frequencies and you have to almost be right on the location in order to pick them up. Not like the old analog TV days..

How old is your VIZIO TV. Any of the newer TV purchased in the past two to three years will be HD ready. You really should get a new TV to enjoy the high definition pictures. using the digital to analog TV converter will of course not give you HDTV signals. They will be convertered to analog mode.

Type your VIZIO TV model number into google and it will tell you if it is HD or ANALOG. If i was going to buy a converter I would add a few more dollars to it and get a new HD ready TV. I use the 22-inch HDTV and it was around $150 from WALMART -

lets us know what you found out

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #4

TV Problem

The tv is brand new. It's a 29 vizio razor led.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #5

If the TV is brand NEW it is High Definition - you good to go there - just do the menu scan for digital signals using the TV menu and the OTA crank-up antenna. You will have to point the antenna towards the town that is sending it howvere. With the digtial TV world it is all or nothing. I have been known to run an extension TV cable out to the trailer here from the house. Works great until Momabear runs over it with the lawn mower cutting grass...

Your new digital TV will pick up a great outstanding TV pictures or not work at all. Not like the old days where where you picked up a snowy looking picture and then go move the antenna to make it better.

Its possible that you won't pick up a TV signal where you are located but not likely. I have sometimes only picked the PBS HDTV signals and most of them are foreign language. When camping on the road we always get at least one station group... Each digital station group can be as many as 6 HDTV signals. This is great when camping as we always tune in the local RADAR station during the day to keep tabs on the bad weather that might be moving in on us. Don't want to get caught with the awning out during a thunderstorm...

Like said above plug your TV into the TV boost panel for now and after you get it working then you can move the connection to the jack on wall behind the TV. The TV connection on the boost panel is direct connected to the OTA antenna on the roof.

Lets us know how it works...

Roy Ken

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #6

Also feel free to type more info in your comments - Seems like alot of folks think they must use short comments like YES or NO... The more info the better as far as I am concerned haha...

Getting you profile setup is really helpful for others on here as then they know what you basically have in order to give good answers...

Heck we might even be neighbors - Or you might be from TOAD SUCK Arkansas which is a real town by the way... Been fishing there many time.... We have a funny name town just south of us called FROG LEVEL, VA haha...

Roy Ken

Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #7

TV Problem

Ok thank you. If I understand I have to use the cable jack next to the boost button for the antenna? I can remember If there is another jack for cable on that wall or I am already screwed into the boost jack. I am at work so can't see if there are two jack to screw into.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #8

I just passed that along as it is a direct connection to your OTA antenna. The CABLE connection right behind your TV set should work ok too. It is another direction connection to the OTA antenna on the roof served by a three way TV splitter. Just passing along if one doesn't work then hook up to the other one...

Once everything is working then use the F-connector behind the TV for both OTA antenna connection and the CABLE connection on the outside of the trailer.

Not knowing where your BLACK BUTTON is to push for OTA it could be your TV cable won't be long enough to fit that panel. If that is the case then just go ahead and use the F connector behind the TV... Thats the one you want to work anyway.

Also the TV F connector in the bedroom is tied to the two F connections as well using the same 3-way TV splitter. i.e. you can use a TV in the bedroom off the OTA roof antenna as well from the bedroom.
I have a 24-inch VIZIO in the living room console and a 22-inch VIZIO in the bedroom in my fifth wheel trailer. The only F-connectors I could not get to work like I wanted them too was the SAT INPUT cables on the outside of the trailer. If it were me I would ignore that conenctions and if you want SAT TV run your own RG cables into the trailer. No one has good luck trying to make the SAT connection on the outside of the trailer to work.

I also ran two separate RG6 cables into the fifth wheel from the pass-thru storage locations where I hookup to the two port SAT DISH antenna dual head. These two cables run into the trailer to a SAT RCVR in the living room locaton and a second SAT RCVR in the bedroom location. Then I come out of the VIDEO connection of the SAT RCVR (RED-YELLOW-WHITE) and run those video cables to the VID 1 input of both Vizio TVs. Now i can switch to VID I or ANTENNA or CABLE all from my TV remotes and can watch CABLE - OTA - SAT on my two two Vizio TVs. Each TV can watch any SAT channel independently. However since the NATL BROADCAST came out a few years back the HDTV is much better quality coming from the OTA hookup we dont bring out the SAT RCVR with us any more. We usually watch the local channels anyway. If I really want to watch a CABLE station camping back in the woods off the power grid I will watch it over the Internet which I can feed the VIZIO tvs through a second VID INPUT connection.. Still don't have to leave my easy chair...

Roy Ken

Old 04-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #9

TV Problem

Okay the only cable connection I have in the console is the one next to the power boost button for the antenna. And one on the opposite side of wall for bedroom, no other cable hook ups.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #10

I have the same camper. There should be 2 coax cable spots with a jumper cable between them. Seen like it says on the plate for those cables to leave the jumper on when using the antenna. All I had to do was then run the channel search like others have mentioned.

You can see the plate with the 2 coax cable spots here

Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #11

TV Problem

Okay do u have two coaxial hookups in the console for the living room tv ot two cable hookups total in camper . Thanks mike
Old 04-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeauto2 View Post
Okay do u have two coaxial hookups in the console for the living room tv ot two cable hookups total in camper . Thanks mike
I have the double coax cable jack in the living room with the jumper cable running between them, then the coax cable hookup next to it on the same place with the 12 volt. Then a coax jack on the ceiling in the bed room.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #13

TV Problem

Ok yes I do have same set up. I do have jumper connected when using antenna. I am gonna do channel search again and keep moving antenna till I find something local. Thank you
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #14

Re: TV Problem

Some really good info here. I tried setting up our antenna once an few months ago and could not get it to work. I figured that I was missing something but have not had time to figure out what I was missing. Going to try again next weekend. Thanks guys!!!

Greg
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #15

TV Problem

Well all the info you guys gave me paid off. I kep rotating antenna until i had signal in the channel search. Ended up finding 8 channel at my house. Tv work awsome with good picture. Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #16

Good deal. Now just remember to out the antenna down when you leave and you'll be good. that always get me.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #17

Hey Mike - Glad you got it figured out. You will find this setup alot better than the normal camp ground cable connections. This is real good full screen high def televison. Will be hard to go back to CABLE haha... I actually use the OTA when I am at the cable hookup sites. We usually watch the national channels anyway. Being full blown high def makes watching just regular ole TV over the cable hookup hard to watch haha...

They do make a signal finder for the high def stations... The one I have is a SURELOCK model SL1000 like this one... I think I got mine from AMAZON.

You can find the transmitting towers pretty quick with this before you start your TV MENU search.

Happy Camping

Roy Ken

Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #18

Thanks Roy. Will the siginal get stronger on the box as the antenna is rotated then do channel search?