Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #1

Two gravity tank vents?

Hi all. A couple weeks ago I purchased a used 2005 25RKS. This is my first camper, so I'm not super familiar with how the systems work.

This weekend I decided to sanitize the fresh water tank. When filling with the hose in the gravity tank inlet, it filled for a while before water began spraying on the sidewalk from a hose underneath near the tank.

I looked underneath and found the water was coming from an open 12" hose. Some internet searching tells me this is likely the air vent, and it is siphoning out because I had the hose on too high.

BUT, when I got underneath the camper and took a closer look, I saw there are two open 12" hoses down there, right next to each other. Could my tank have 2 air vents? And if so, why was water coming out of one and not the other? Any ideas? A picture of the hoses is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 9.17.39 AM.png  
mdmalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #2

Welcome aboard!

Water coming out of the vent/overflow in this situation is not syphoning out. It is just telling you your tank is full of water.

Syphoning can happen, it is somewhat related to filling the FW tank. It can be caused by sloshing as you drive down the road. There are lots of posts on the subject. At the moment I would not worry too much about syphoning. Some campers it is a big issue, others never have the issue at all.

Why two hoses. Actually there should be at least three hoses. One for the FW tank vent/overflow. There are also two low point drains valves for the plumbing inside the TT. One for each of the hot and cold water lines. There is a Tee handle (plunger style), inside the TT, that you can open to drain the water from the piping system. I fully suspect those are the hoses you are holding onto. They are always right next to each other.

There is a vent for each FW tank. Looks like you have one tank, so one vent tube. I suspect you may have thought one of those tubes was the FW tank vent. I would take a closer look, you may have another one hiding near by. Lot of them are right behind a tire and out of easy sight. With that said, the previous owner may have had issues with syphoning. One of a number of solutions is to add a second hose, to allow air into the systems, to break/prevent the vacuum that causes the syphoning.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #3

Not necessarily one tank vent/overflow for one tank. My current rig has one tank and THREE vent/overflow hoses.

My old rig had twin tanks equalized with a hose at the bottom, and one tank vent/overflow out the top of each tank in addition to the vent by the gravity fill (just one gravity fill, not one for each tank).

Water could've been coming out of only one of the 2 vent hoses for at least 2 reasons; 1) the other hose is obstructed, 2) the other hose was "breathing" air into the tank.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #4

More than likely, you have 2 fresh water tanks connected together. My Eagle has twin 40 gallon fresh tanks and I have 2 vents hoses just like yours in the pic.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:42 PM   #5

Note in his pic, the tank is stamped "59 gallons". Brochure spec on the unit is "59 gallons", so I'm pretty sure there aren't 2 tanks. More likely just 2 vent/overflow hoses in the top of the one large tank.

If the tank was filled to the point of overflow out of those hoses, then one would be pushing water out while the other pulled air in. Can't cheat physics.

OP, fill it up again, but this time, put your finger over the hose that isn't flowing water and see if it stops. It's possible you have another vent at the gravity fill, but from what I've seen, those aren't used often (factory doesn't, or didn't install them for some reason on many units). My TT vent by the gravity fill was functional though, in addition to the 2 vent/overflow hoses routed from the tops of the tanks down.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:05 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice, all! I’ll try covering one when the other starts running and see if that stops it.
mdmalin is offline   Reply With Quote