Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2022, 04:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylex View Post
Wow this is some great info. Can I ask you avfee more questions.
I have a land rover discovery 3.0 diesel v6 with a tow weight for 3500kg.
My trailer is 2780kg on the vin sticker.
What should the pin weight be?

Also I would like to get an anti sway device if anyone has options. All then ones I can find are for European caravans.
I overread that you already searched for antisway-coupling, and it did not fit american trailers.
On your towbar also a plate with maximum allowed towbarweight, andin the papers of the car max must also be given. Lowest counts, can be different.

But if I understand right, you are American, and moved to UK, and car and traveltrailer are bought in UK. But are the imported from US?

If TT is original american it is made for 10 to 15% towbar weight, and you mayby have to move some heavy things more to the back, to get low enaugh weight on towbar to be within what car or towbar is allowed to handle.

But tandem axle trailers, if towbar is higher, more weight on it, so try to lower the towbar if possible then lesser weight on it.
But then more weight on rear axle of TT and lesser on front axle of TT. This would need lesser pressure on front axle, you might think. But then you give lesser deflection on front axle, wich gives even lesser weight on front, and more on rear axle and towbar, what you domt want. So thats the reason to keep all 4 tires the same pressure.

Best is to weigh the TT on the car, when you changed all the things, and fully loaded, per axle, better even per tire.

Then let me calculate the pressures.
But mind that the pressure setting when weighed, also influences the weightdivision over axles and towbar, and even axles on TV. In short pretty complicated.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:48 AM   #22

Great info there, would have taken me ages to research all that.

The TT is imported from US
The discovery is British but has the upgraded tow hitch for pulling heavy loads, it was on te car when we bought it. I'll have to research what it can carry.
https://www.famousfour.co.uk/new_par...art?part=23069
I am also from England, just have a love for everything american.
I have a 2014 5.0 mustang and a 2018 f150.
Unfortunately the f150 is broken and I haven't time to fix it
Taylex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #23

Then you are able to play with the towbar height. Did not give max towbarweight in the info. Mayby a metalish plate on it.

But in my last post, I was thinking the wrong way around.

Its, towbar lower, lesser weight on it, but more weight on front axle, and lesser on rear.
If then les pressure on rear axle, weight shifts even more to front axle, and lower towbarweight.
So yust what you need.

But I think, a WDH is also allowed in europe, and then you can order one with swaycontrol in America, and you have what you want, you can always loosen the chains so its not functioning as WDH. And it will fit on your TT, but mayby not on your european towbar. Dont know if the ball has same diameter.
Ask the right autority's in UK, what is allowed in that.

Then question, the nosewheel is that an extra strong one for american trailers, because of the higher weight they must be able to carry? Atached a picture of an european nosewheel.

And WDH is it atached to the TT or TV when TT is of the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
images.jpg  
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:55 PM   #24

My Jayco featherl lite came with Goodyear tires. The recommended PSI is on the sidewall of the tire. All say MAX PSI 80
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylex View Post
Hi everyone,

I am after some guidance on tyre pressures.

Do all 4 tyres run the same pressure?

I read a post saying 60psi fronts and 70psi rears, does that sound correct?

Also in the UK every caravan comes with an anti sway device. Our Jayco tows great and I assumed one wasn't required.

However I have seen people talking about them on here So, I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to add one on.

Any recommendations?
Tire pressure depends on the kind of tires on the vehicle and the amount of weight you are carrying.

I would suggest stopping by your Les Schwab Tire store
and they will not only tell you the correct air pressure you need in your tires, but they will fill up your tires with the right air pressure….FREE OF CHARGE
redley is offline   Reply With Quote