Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

U-Shaped Dinette fix

I don’t know what Jayco was thinking of when they designed the U-shaped dinette table. It’s too heavy to lug anywhere and you can’t slide your legs in behind the table pedestal. It’s also very difficult to drop down. I spent some time thinking about the issue and came up with a simple solution. I rotated the pedestal 90 degrees. Now we can slide in behind the table without any problem and it drops and raises with ease.
I had to remove one of the underside support bars. I dismounted the base and relocated per the attached photo. I used a drill-stop on my drill to avoid drilling through the table top (available cheap from Harbor Freight).
We call the storage under the back of the dinette “the wine cellar”. This is where we store beverages that are waiting to be moved to a more convenient place like the refrigerator or overhead cupboard. Getting in there is very inconvenient because the way the access hatch was cut you have to remove all the cushions to get in there. I cut the hatch a couple of inches shorter on each end so that only the back pair of cushions need be removed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0501.JPG   IMG_0502.jpg   IMG_0503.jpg   IMG_0504.jpg  
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #2

Here’s another fix. Give me a minute to find the product
Attached Thumbnails
D730E35B-3652-42FB-B2BE-2B3D7A6B4D36.jpg  
Old 08-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

Found it
Attached Thumbnails
48E5D396-7F0A-4143-A9F8-A350B4C4BE39.jpg  
Old 08-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
snip...... I rotated the pedestal 90 degrees. Now we can slide in behind the table without any problem and it drops and raises with ease.........snip
Nice alteration, especially for ease of accessibility.

I have the same 24RBS floorplan (2018), but ordered mine with table/chairs allowing room for a pre-planned wall-hugger recliner.

I've rotated the table 90 degrees since the pic was taken.....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:58 PM   #5

I am definitely doing both of the mods that the OP has done. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #6

Interestingly enough that is not a Jayco thing. These crappy legs were introduced by the industry early in the last decade. Jayco started using them in the 2013 model year. I absolutely hate them. As you said they are heavy and difficult to use. They are also a pinch hazard. The old style legs were simple and easy.

We take our table outside, which was really hard with the original legs because they were so bulky. More floor space inside and if we have to eat inside we sit on the couch anyway.

I replaced those crappy legs with the old style folding legs. Shortly after that the table top was ruined in a rainstorm. I had a friend make a replacement table top from cedar. Much lighter and stronger than the original press wood table. And it's pretty much water proof now.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post

We take our table outside, which was really hard with the original legs because they were so bulky. More floor space inside and if we have to eat inside we sit on the couch anyway.

I replaced those crappy legs with the old style folding legs. I had a friend make a replacement table top from cedar. Much lighter and stronger than the original press wood table. And it's pretty much water proof now.

Not that I need it but when you’re traveling do you lay it down on the cushions?
Old 08-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Interestingly enough that is not a Jayco thing. These crappy legs were introduced by the industry early in the last decade. Jayco started using them in the 2013 model year. I absolutely hate them. As you said they are heavy and difficult to use. They are also a pinch hazard. The old style legs were simple and easy.

I replaced those crappy legs with the old style folding legs. Shortly after that the table top was ruined in a rainstorm. I had a friend make a replacement table top from cedar. Much lighter and stronger than the original press wood table. And it's pretty much water proof now.

I'd like to do the same thing. How did he make the cedar table top? Did he glue planks together? Is it coated with varnish or anything like that?
Old 08-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Not that I need it but when you’re traveling do you lay it down on the cushions?
The legs fold and the table is identical in shape to the original. It fits in the slot between the U shaped dinette for using as a bed. So the cushions actually sit on top of it, though the past two summers now I don't even bother putting the cushions on top.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24rbs, u-dinette