Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #1

UFC 24RBS: Stabilizers vs. the Tongue Jack

I have had a difficult time finding advice on this both here and elsewhere on the internet. I feel that I have received conflicting ideas and am hoping for some experienced responses here.

Question is: how hard do I spin my manual stabilizers?

I use 4 stabilizers on a 24RBS, and we also use x-chocks. I learned tonight that I will soon be using jacks under the stairs! But the stabilizers still have a lot of spinning that they could do (ie, more travel...could lift the TT higher...) once we are setup.

When I asked my neighbor recently, he grabbed the wrench and cranked those stabilizers taller than I ever have...and I heard the requisite creaks from the TT...but it made is stable!! So I've cranked harder than I used to...but we still get some wobble and the TT still creaks and drops when I lower them to pack up. In fact, last trip I noticed that the tongue jack lifted OFF my block when I worked the front stabilizers with some muscle.

But I know that the stabilizers can ruin the TT frame if used as levelers--at least that's what I've heard.

Can anyone offer advice on how far to extend them? And what are the risks involved in 1) lightening contact of tongue jack with ground and/or 2) potentially damaging the frame?

I am aware there are other stabilizer options, so not looking for advice yet on how to improve the wobble beyond stabilizers and x-chocks...just looking for advice on how far I can safely extend the stabilizers.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-13-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Team

I can explain what I do, but first will qualify it by saying our jacks are rated at 7500 lbs each, and our trailer is 23" tongue to bumper. Most are 5000 lb stabilizers from the factories. I'll get some push back on this, but after the trailer is chocked and leveled, sometimes it's still 1/2 a bubble off, side to side, but that's as close as we can get it. I'll then drop the low side jacks onto wood boards, and crank it to just slightly over level (alternating a few times at each end). Then I drop the high side jacks, and crank them to perfectly level. Again in stages, alternating front and back on that side. I've never raised it off the tongue jack. Yes, I do get a "creaking" once in a while, but It doesn't worry me. I consider this as worst case scenario with us.

Now, for the best case scenario. The trailer ends up dead level on the site. I drop each corner until it's just a little more than just touching the boards. Then I'll give each one. one more full crank. After you stabilize yours a few times, you'll get a feel for how much pressure you want to apply. They are designed as stabilizers, but when you're very careful, they do take out most of the movement inside. Your X-chocks help a lot, too. Longer trailers are more difficult to get solid.

And yes, we use a step brace, too. For some reason, our steps creak on one side, and it stops that.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:50 AM   #3

When I run mine down it's to the point I see the camper raise no more than 1/4". Basically just a tick over being tight. Anymore that that an I release the pressure an do it again. If I'm campin somewhere for more than a night or 2 I'll place screw type jack stands under the frame on each end of the slide out before extending that out. They have helped with movement an with the stabilizers if they happen to loose a little tension due to what ever
Old 07-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
When I run mine down it's to the point I see the camper raise no more than 1/4". Basically just a tick over being tight. Anymore that that an I release the pressure an do it again. If I'm campin somewhere for more than a night or 2 I'll place screw type jack stands under the frame on each end of the slide out before extending that out. They have helped with movement an with the stabilizers if they happen to loose a little tension due to what ever
Just a quick followup to your post--the extra jack stands, you place them under the TT frame, not under the slide frame, correct?