Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #11

me to

have forgotten the cotter pins on my hitch setup. now have a laminated check list to follow regarding the things to do and check inside and out of the tt and also regarding hook up to tv. i always stop after a few miles and do one more walk around just to be sure. glad nothing serious happened, happy camping!

bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #12

It was plugged in overnight, battery did not have enough to kick it over....I will check to see if it isolates with the key. I don't think I will disconnect when I am traveling from now on

Old 05-07-2012, 03:08 AM   #13

Professional truckers do a walk around their rig prior to driving. This is something that I make a practice of every time I drive the trailer. I was surprised how many times I overlooked something before leaving. I would recommend this practice to anyone, especially those who are new to towing.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #14

I have my truck wired directly to my trailer at all times through a 30amp breaker and can leave them plugged together for days prior to a trip without my truck battery dieing, sounds like you have an issue with your trailer battery

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #15

Ditto on the laminated checklist. I use it EVERY time. Might seem like dorkville to use a checklist, but when I climb behind the wheel and start down the road, I don't get the nagging, what did I forget feeling.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #16

I have a laminated checklist. Even if I don't follow it, I always go through step by step before I get behind the wheel and verify that every item has been done.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Professional truckers do a walk around their rig prior to driving. This is something that I make a practice of every time I drive the trailer. I was surprised how many times I overlooked something before leaving. I would recommend this practice to anyone, especially those who are new to towing.
I always walk around ours at least twice before hitting the road.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Does your truck not isolate itself from the TT battery when the TV is not running? I know that is how my Chevy Traverse works. I found out one day, when the battery on the TT was drained too much to get the slideout in. The TT was plugged into my Traverse, so I though I had a bad connection. I checked the connector and tried again, still no juice. Then it hit me, started up the Traverse and I had full battery power. Got the slideout in and then turned the Traverse off again. Its nice to know that my Traverse will not drain down with the TT plugged in.
The 7-pin plug on the RAM 1500's is hot all the time. I verified that on my 2014 1500 with a volt meter. When we are on the road and overnighting in a rest area I always unplug and leave a post-it on the steering wheel to remind me to plug in again before heading out.