Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Un-level Camper Last Weekend

We took our 26BH across the state last weekend to visit the Henry Ford Museum. We stayed in a private campground about 30 minutes away, outside of Ypsilanti.

We had a nice, level site, and so did the 24' trailer in the pull-thru behind us. But, instead of parking on the level area, this guy was off to one side. It's hard to convey how off level he was, but I think if you imagine a trailer on level ground with a 6" thick stack of boards under one set of wheels, that's how far off the guy was all weekend.

He had his site all prepped with extra lights, tables, and the usual stuff. And, his trailer didn't have stabilizers, but he had aluminum jacks on all four corners. Had the wife and the dog with him.

I would imagine it would be difficult to sleep that far off level. Walking around inside had to be bizarre.

I was mildly tempted to ask him about it, but didn't. Can't imagine....didn't care?...didn't know better?....likes it that way?

Not making a point or asking a question here. Just shaking my head.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

I think we all see strange stuff every time we go camping, and ask ourselves why.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #3

That's called free entertainment. I think we all have donated to the cause one time or another lol...
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #4

This is one reason camping wins out over hotels. The entertainment factor.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #5

Makes one wonder! I’d be shaking my head too.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #6

We saw a couple in a fairly new Jayco Jayfeather that parks off to the side of a very level gravel pad such that the driver's side of the trailer was at least 3" lower than the passenger side. They made no attempt to level the camper. They also didn't have water at their site and didn't stop to fill up before parking. They pulled out three hoses, one a white water hose and the other two were an old green and a black garden hose to fill their water tank.

The guy on our other side had an Endeavor Motor Coach that had a heater that sounded like a Harley Davidson idling every time it ran. He also left in the wee hours of the morning and took out the site marking post for the campsite across the road from his site as he left.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:37 PM   #7

What campground, we are always looking for good campgrounds over there. We like Pontiac Lake Recreation campground, that's a very nice state campground, but no full hookups.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by markscns View Post
What campground, we are always looking for good campgrounds over there. We like Pontiac Lake Recreation campground, that's a very nice state campground, but no full hookups.
Try Proud Lake State Park, nice quiet area, lake down below campground, river with trout fishing, canoe, kayak rentals. And only 4 miles north of I96 at the Wixom Rd exit.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

It was Detroit Greenfield RV Park. It was okay, not great. We were off-season, so hard to say what it's like when full. Appears to have a lot of seasonal stays.

Our pull through in the wooded area was a bit of a beast to get in and out of with our 26BH. Otherwise, if the weather's right, I'd get a spot in the open area where the trees are not an issue when parking.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #10

Maybe he had a cold and felt he needed his head elevated at night?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #11

There is no requirement for a high iQ or common sense to own an RV. If you camp several times a year for a few years, you will witness a lot of strange things. Don't get involved, they are in a world of their own.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
There is no requirement for a high iQ or common sense to own an RV.
I seem to see all the low IQ owners traveling on the freeways. A few weeks back heading home this fifth wheel blew past me and I noticed the whole front edge of the roof material had come loose and was catching wind like a sail. About ten miles up the road he was now pulled over and the roof had ripped loose from the edges about halfway down the trailer almost touching the ground on one side. About 30 minutes later I could see this guy coming up behind me again now with about 25 feet of roof flapping in the wind, as he passed me I looked over and pointed up he just smiled and kept driving. I sure hope it didn't come all the way off and cause a big accident. I need to get a dash mounted camera so I can record all these idiots.