Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #21

I'm thinking maybe the answer is to go ahead with the stronger axles, but use the original springs (if they will still fit) to keep the ride less jarring. Rough rides put stress on everything else from frames to cabinets to refrigerator coils.. Doing it this way insures a more robust axle, bearings, and brakes. Standard springs don't appear to be breaking.
eagle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle55 View Post
I'm thinking maybe the answer is to go ahead with the stronger axles, but use the original springs (if they will still fit) to keep the ride less jarring. Rough rides put stress on everything else from frames to cabinets to refrigerator coils.. Doing it this way insures a more robust axle, bearings, and brakes. Standard springs don't appear to be breaking.

Good point... The alignment guy and I were talking about this yesterday while he was bending my axles back into place. The axles are part of the springiness of the system, so they act as springs, themselves. They are bowed up in the center giving positive camber to the wheels when there is no load on the axle. Changing to a heavier axle will apparently put more stress and flex on the springs, themselves as the heavier axles will move less.

You're definitely right about the rough ride causing damage to other stuff. Last year, again going through Indiana, My TV mount came loose. That was a couple hours of life I'll never get back. It's hard to say what the best solution is... other than to actually make them better all around. And I think we all know what the chances of that happening are...... Something about a snowball...
Old 08-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #23

Jayco Axle

I purchased a new axle from Dexter and didnt end up needing it. I still have it attached to the shipping crate if you may need it. It has new springs attached. Dexter Part number is 82444230 its a 5145lb rated axle with self adjusting brakes.
panichr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:46 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by panichr1 View Post
I purchased a new axle from Dexter and didnt end up needing it. I still have it attached to the shipping crate if you may need it.....snip
panichr1,

Welcome to JOF

You may want to post your 'axle for sale' over in the JOF "Parts, Accessories, & Miscellaneous Classifieds" forum for increased visibility. Here is the link:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f59/

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote