Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2017, 10:50 AM   #1

Underslung Couplers and WDH

Hi All-

Currently looking at upgrading to a JayFlight 27BHS which has an underslung coupler vs. the standard.

We currently have a Blue Ox WDH and they make a version for underslung couplers, but when I look at equalizers and Reese for example, I don't see any specific mention of being for a stnadard vs. underslung.

Was hoping to keep my Blue Ox and just upgrade my bars, but now I am wondering if that is possible?

Does anyone else with an underslung coupler have any insight and what do you use?

Thanks
Scott
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

I have an Equal-i-zer brand hitch and an underslung coupler on my Jay Flight.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #3

For the equalizer brand, the Lord brackets just get adjusted accordingly.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt24 View Post
Hi All-

Currently looking at upgrading to a JayFlight 27BHS which has an underslung coupler vs. the standard.

We currently have a Blue Ox WDH and they make a version for underslung couplers, but when I look at equalizers and Reese for example, I don't see any specific mention of being for a stnadard vs. underslung.

Was hoping to keep my Blue Ox and just upgrade my bars, but now I am wondering if that is possible?

Does anyone else with an underslung coupler have any insight and what do you use?

Thanks
Scott
I have the underslung coupler on our new Eagle and bought a Blue Ox to use with it. I also bought the underslung version from the start.

From my understanding, there is a slight difference in where the arms are mounted on the head between the standard and underslung versions of the Blue Ox which would probably compensate for the lower hitch height of an underslung coupler vs. a standard one. And since the Blue Ox hitches don't have any angle adjustments in the head like other hitches do (Equalizer, Reese, etc.), there also may be some angle issues that need to be taken into account as well. I would suggest giving Blue Ox a call and ask your question. From my interactions with them, they are some great people.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #5

My first camper needed a regular WDH and I had a blue OX. Loved it but the new camper needed an underslung. So I bought a whole new blue OX underslung WDH. The only difference is the head. If you check somewhere like e-trailer you can get just the head I believe. I ended up giving my regular setup away with my first camper as part of the deal...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
BCK

I have a Reese and the reason you don't see a difference between trunnion style spring bars for under-slung and the standard round bar style is because there isn't one. Both Style bars fit the same hitch head on the Reese.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #7

The difference in the Blue Ox between underslung and standard has to do with the angle of the bar sockets according to Blue Ox technician. I asked this specific question when I was trying to determine exactly what gear I needed for my situation.

I started out with a round-bar system on my underslung coupler. While it wasn't ideal, there was nothing really "wrong" with it. I didn't have clearance issues, and I was able to transfer weight. I was just maxed out on the hitch (or even over at some points).

If you are going to keep the hitch and not sell it with the old camper, then I would try it and see how it does. You could always buy another Blue Ox for underslung coupler and sell the standard one.

Blue Ox customer service is absolutely excellent too. I would call them and ask a technician if it's "strictly necessary" to have the underslung model, or just "suggested".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #8

We just bought a Jay Flight 25BH and I had a Draw Tight WD hitch from my old camper. I was going back and forth what to do about hitches. The dealer recommended the Equalizer but said my current hitch would work if I added a friction sway bar. After talking to some people on another forum about hitches a lot of them were recommending the Blue Ox. After looking into them I found out my dealer is also a Blue Ox dealer but they wanted another $50 for it ($850) over the Equalizer they quoted. I ended up contacting Blue Ox customer support because I wasn't sure about this underslung vs regular coupler. They were very responsive and the sold them as a company. The CS person emailed me back the same day I filled out the form linked above and we emailed back and forth a couple times. I provided them the weights of the camper as well as the specs of my tow vehicle and she worked with their engineers to make sure I ordered the right product. They provided so much information to me that I felt fine just ordering it from etrailer.com for $600 and saved $250.

For my trailer they said to get the BXW1003 which includes the 1000# bars. Your trailer might be a little heavier on the tongue so you might have to step up to the BXW1503.

As mentioned and as you probably know, there is no angle adjustment on the head. The bars are all interchangeable and it is this head that determines the angles so while they advertise that when you change trailers out you only have to change bars if needed but I think there should be an * on that because as long as the coupler is the same (standard to standard or underslung to underslung) then I agree just adjust the spring bar is all that is needed. If the angle isn't right I don't think the chains will be long enough to properly reach the rotating latch.

As far as ordering just the head. You can go take a look at the manual for the BXW1x003 hitch and they show a part number for the head of: 61-7067 Underslung Hitch Head Assembly on Page 3.

So I would imagine you can order just that. However if you have to change out the head and the springs because your hitch weight is changing, then you may be better off ordering a complete hitch as it might be cheaper when factoring in the cost of the new hitch - what you can sell your current hitch for rather than just trying to buy a new head and springs.

If it were me I would use that Customer Service contact form I linked to above. Tell them the specs of what you have now for a hitch (standard coupler and weight rating of sping bars). Also include the weight specs of the new trailer and the fact that is a underslung coupler as well as the specs on your tow vehicle and they will check with the engineers to get you the right answer. They even went as far as checking that the 7 hole receiver that ships with the BXW1003 kit was the right one to go with my Yukon.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #9

I have an underling coupler and use an Anderson Hitch. With approx 120lbs tongue weight, the Sliver ado 3500HD handles it well. The Anderson hitch doesn't care if you are over or under slung.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCK View Post
I have a Reese and the reason you don't see a difference between trunnion style spring bars for under-slung and the standard round bar style is because there isn't one. Both Style bars fit the same hitch head on the Reese.
I may be misinterpreting your statement..., but if by "hitch head" and are referring to the Reese ball mount, then the Reese round bars and Reese trunnion bars actually don't share a common Reese ball mount.

If your referring to the TT ball coupler as the "hitch head", then I agree, a Reese round bar WDH and trunnion bar WDH will both work with a bottom (or top) mounted TT coupler. Trunnion bars (lieu of round bar) are preferred with bottom mount couplers because they tend to provide increased ground clearance.

The round bar WDH's (lieu of trunnion) tend to work better with top mounted couplers because the round bars provide better clearance around the leading edge area of the TT A-frame.

Just a FYI: Reese trunnion bar WDH's offer a larger degree of ball mount tilt adjustment over the Reese round bar WDH's.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

I talked to them and they say you have to move to the underslung since the bars would hang too low and you wouldn't get the proper deflection in them.

I figured that would be the case. Oh well. May give the Equalizer a shot with the new trailer.

Thanks for all the responses.
scottyt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:17 PM   #12

I agree about trying out your existing unit. I use a standard Blue Ox with mine and have had no issues. But also as mentioned, the Blue Ox staff are willing to give great advice.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:37 AM   #13

I have an underslung hitch on my windjammer and it has a normal round bar wdh on it just like my other trailer. Nothing special, 1200 pound capacity. It looks really low to the ground but I've not drug it on the pavement yet.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #14

Mine's under-slung and the problem I have with my setup is ride harshness. I have a standard 1,000/10,000 EAZ-LIFT and I've done everything I can to ease the ride up and still keep the TT riding level. I'd like to be able to fool myself and say it's good enough... but when the wife threatens to get out and hitch-hike back home... I know it ain't true. So, we're going to pick up the Blue Ox 1503 and hope for the best... I should have done this already but it's $600-... and I really am CHEAP...
Old 03-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
snip......So, we're going to pick up the Blue Ox 1503 and hope for the best... I should have done this already but it's $600-... and I really am CHEAP...
The only way to confirm that a WDH is sized and adjusted correctly is a local CAT scale visit. The CAT scale takes away all the guess work and you will know your WDH investment is optimized.

CAT scale 'how-to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #16

I've done the Cat-scale thing and I am close to the max these bars are designed for. Tongue weight was a little over 900 and I've added a spare tire and wheel in the pass-through since weighing it. What My little pea brain keeps telling me is that the thinner spring bars of the Blue Ox hitch will absorb more of the shock of bumps and uneven bridge joints. I hope someone will correct me if that's not a sound path of reasoning... and tell me I'm over-thinking this... I'm old, and I do that sometimes.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #17

I use the Equalizer on our JayFlight with undermount coupler with no issues. Coming from a top mounted coupler, I had to turn one side of the L bracket upside down so I could drop the bracket low enough. Pretty easy, just need to re-check weights/measurements when you're done.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:32 AM   #18

Is it safe to assume all new Jayco's have the underslung? You know what they say about 'assume'...
Old 03-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer virgin View Post
Is it safe to assume all new Jayco's have the underslung? You know what they say about 'assume'...
No..., some of the light weight trailers (Hummingbird, Jay Feather 7, etc.) have top mounted couplers, especially those with aluminum A-frames.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #20

I have an underslung and use a Reese dual cam setup. The only difference in how it is installed and used is that the snap-up bracket has to be bolted to the frame from the front middle using a 3/4" self-tapping screw.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote