Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #1

Upgrade/replace stove/oven

We are looking to replace the 17" Atwood Wedgewood combo as the oven is very small. Any suggestions?
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #2

Interesting Idea. All the RV stoves/ovens appear to be really small. We have just learned how to deal with it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

It appears that Atwood make a 21" model
DadRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadRich View Post
It appears that Atwood make a 21" model
They do make a 21", I replaced the cooktop-only unit my Seneca originally came with utilizing a full Atwood range. I did this so we could have a real oven, I never had good baking success with the convection microwave. Plus when putting together a meal I frequently needed to be baking and microwaving simultaneously, and you can't do that with just the convection microwave!

Be advised, the oven cavity on a 21" is not any deeper or wider than a 17" model, just taller. I had room, so I went with the 21".

Years of RV oven experience has taught me a few things I will pass on. When we are setting up camp and expect to bake, out come the unglazed ceramic tiles and they are laid in the bottom of the oven to even out the heat. Just remember to store them (when cool) before you hit the road again or they will beat up the inside of the oven! I also tested my oven with an electronic oven thermometer and found out the temperature was about 25 degrees cooler than the knob setting. So I now know just to bump it up 25 degrees before I start. Plus we always let the oven preheat for at least 15 minutes to get the temps evened out. And Air-Bake pans are your good friend to prevent burning the bottoms. I also think the 21" oven helps being taller, the rack is further from the direct heat so it cooks more evenly than my prior RV's 17" oven.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

Burner rack option on Atwood site seems interesting, a little more beef and styling.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
They do make a 21", I replaced the cooktop-only unit my Seneca originally came with utilizing a full Atwood range. I did this so we could have a real oven, I never had good baking success with the convection microwave. Plus when putting together a meal I frequently needed to be baking and microwaving simultaneously, and you can't do that with just the convection microwave!

Be advised, the oven cavity on a 21" is not any deeper or wider than a 17" model, just taller. I had room, so I went with the 21".

Years of RV oven experience has taught me a few things I will pass on. When we are setting up camp and expect to bake, out come the unglazed ceramic tiles and they are laid in the bottom of the oven to even out the heat. Just remember to store them (when cool) before you hit the road again or they will beat up the inside of the oven! I also tested my oven with an electronic oven thermometer and found out the temperature was about 25 degrees cooler than the knob setting. So I now know just to bump it up 25 degrees before I start. Plus we always let the oven preheat for at least 15 minutes to get the temps evened out. And Air-Bake pans are your good friend to prevent burning the bottoms. I also think the 21" oven helps being taller, the rack is further from the direct heat so it cooks more evenly than my prior RV's 17" oven.
Great info - do you have a picture or a source for the unglazed ceramic tiles?

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #7

I would love to put one of these in - I assume I could put a pot of water or two on it if needed - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195MZHBK...=3R3BVXLII5MDJ

Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #8

Stay with what you have, until the next RV.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Great info - do you have a picture or a source for the unglazed ceramic tiles?
I know I got them at my local Menard's, will post a picture tomorrow!
Old 10-20-2017, 04:50 AM   #10

If you have 24" This might be the answer but it's not cheep. The Viking Professional Classic Series Range in 24 inch. The price on sale $3900.00 Viking Professional Classic Series Ran | EliteAppliance.com
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:14 AM   #11

Quote:
I know I got them at my local Menard's, will post a picture tomorrow!
Picture of my unglazed tiles, I use four. Sorry they are late, I changed my engine and generator oil and filters and winterized my plumbing yesterday. Then I had a moment of silence to note the close of a great 2017 camping year!
Attached Thumbnails
20171020_070448.jpg  
Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Picture of my unglazed tiles, I use four. Sorry they are late, I changed my engine and generator oil and filters and winterized my plumbing yesterday. Then I had a moment of silence to note the close of a great 2017 camping year!
Thanks - I am going order some of these.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Thanks - I am going order some of these.
I use 4, they are all pushed together towards the center of the oven cavity laying on the sheet above the burner. Around the edges of that sheet are holes, don't cover those up, they allow the heat to rise. But the tiles are placed over the burner and they even out the heat, helping to prevent things from burning right where the burner is.

With the tiles I recommend at least a 15-minute preheat to make sure the tiles and oven are all equalized.
Old 02-28-2022, 01:25 AM   #14

Below won't make your oven any larger. We've just had to learn to deal with the size and buy pans and sheets that will fit. When cooking with the rack low the bottom would get burned, and up high wouldn't leave us much room. The biggest issue was there was insufficient barrier or space between the oven burner and what was being cooked to disperse the heat. DW would flip the biscuits about 1/2 way through to even them out.

I like my biscuits, cakes, and pies.

I tried the multiple tiles. They didn't last long for me (a couple of months) as they cracked and than had really sharp edges.

Then I bought a square Cordierite pizza stone and cut it down with an angle grinder to fit oven with a 1" border and rounded off the edges. Then, because of complaints of it 'stinking', I got it hot in the grill outside (as the manufacturer recommends) and no smell.

So far, it has lasted 27 months and still fine. Cooking isn't much different that at home other than it having less space. We can still bake full size cakes, pies, and biscuits.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #15

Cast iron skillets with the small helper handles not the long normal handle are great
If you can flip what you are cooking over 1/2 way through the cooking process
Long long honeymooners on YouTube have a good video on cooking in a RV oven
Lodge Cast Iron 3 Piece Bundle. 12 inch, 10.25 inches and 8 inch Ergonomic, Heat Treated, and Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Pans with Two Loop-Style Handles (Made in the USA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K4VJTLR...ing=UTF8&psc=1
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven