Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2021, 09:06 AM   #1

Upgrading converter charger for lithium batteries

I am upgrading my battery bank from AGM to lithium (LiPO4) and am trying to figure out if/how to replace my converter charger. I have a 2014 Jayco White Hawk Ultra Lite 33BHBS and I don't think any electrical work was done on it before I bought it (I could be mistaken though). Before I start taking everything apart, can anyone give some direction as to where I can find the model of my converter charger and what would be the best way to replace it (and if it's necessary)? I included some pictures of the breaker box below my fridge if that helps.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20210305_075840.jpg   20210305_075540.jpg  
doug144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #2

Your converter/charger is in the top left. Chances are your new charger will not fit in this distribution panel box. I suggest that you leave it in place, but disconnect the black 14AWG AC wire that runs from the converter to the converter/charger breaker. Disconnect it at the breaker and put a marette on the end. You may also want to disconnect the DC + and - output wires and marette them. Next run the DC and AC wires into this box. AC - (white) to the AC negative bus bar and AC + to the converter/charger breaker. If your new charger output is the same current, you can connect the DC positive and negative output to the two terminals where the existing charger was disconnected - this will make use of your existing DC fuses, however it is likely that the new charger will already have internal fuses. If your new charger has a higher current output, then you might be able to connect it to the main DC bus connections, which are likely behind this box. On my trailer there was a negative bus bar, but positive connections were maretted.
6wate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug144 View Post
I am upgrading my battery bank from AGM to lithium (LiPO4) and am trying to figure out if/how to replace my converter charger. I have a 2014 Jayco White Hawk Ultra Lite 33BHBS and I don't think any electrical work was done on it before I bought it (I could be mistaken though). Before I start taking everything apart, can anyone give some direction as to where I can find the model of my converter charger and what would be the best way to replace it (and if it's necessary)? I included some pictures of the breaker box below my fridge if that helps.

Thanks!
My model number was right on the front of my converter on our '17 24MBH. If you can find it, I'd look at Progressive Dynamics website to see if they have a lithium ion converter that will fit your power center. Mine was a WFCO power center that wasn't compatible with any of the replacement converters. I replaced the whole thing with a PD4045LIKA. I love the my Renogy LiFePO4 battery. Best upgrade ever. Once you find what part you need, check out Leisure Time Distributing. Significantly cheaper than I could find anywhere else. Any chance the model number is on the back of the cover that is off?
vanspragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #4

Just got AGM batteries should I up grade my battery charger

I just invested some money in going to AGM batteries from the basic 12 volt car type batteries these are some deep cycle one should I look into updating my charger? this is on a 2010 Jayco Eagle
Joker10102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the detailed reply. Until I get the new charger, would it harm my new battery to use the existing charger, or it just won't charge it fully/efficiently?
Old 03-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #6

I’m pretty sure it just won’t charge the battery all the way. Maybe to 80 or 90 percent is all. It shouldn’t hurt the battery from what I understand . I’m working on the same project right now. My only
Benefit is that I have solar on the roof with a charge controller that has a lithium program built in so I will be able to top off my battery until wfco release the new lithium main boards for my power center.
brewcrew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #7

I second what brewcrew said, it is my understanding it won't get it fully charged, but shouldn't hurt the battery.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanspragg View Post
My model number was right on the front of my converter on our '17 24MBH. If you can find it, I'd look at Progressive Dynamics website to see if they have a lithium ion converter that will fit your power center. Mine was a WFCO power center that wasn't compatible with any of the replacement converters. I replaced the whole thing with a PD4045LIKA. I love the my Renogy LiFePO4 battery. Best upgrade ever. Once you find what part you need, check out Leisure Time Distributing. Significantly cheaper than I could find anywhere else. Any chance the model number is on the back of the cover that is off?
You were right! It said the model number on the back cover. It's a Progressive Dynamics PD4045KA, which apparently, according to their documentation online, has a lithium charge profile. I just need to add the switch cap for the circuit board. I did notice however that it says in the board: "OFF - LEAD ACID, ON - GEL". I'll see how it works and replace the converter if needed.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug144 View Post
You were right! It said the model number on the back cover. It's a Progressive Dynamics PD4045KA, which apparently, according to their documentation online, has a lithium charge profile. I just need to add the switch cap for the circuit board. I did notice however that it says in the board: "OFF - LEAD ACID, ON - GEL". I'll see how it works and replace the converter if needed.
As luck would have I just received the wrong converter for our new camper. I though I got a pd4560LISV off of ebay, but I overlooked the model in the description. I have a PD4045LICSV sitting on my table which is probably what you may need. Let me know if you can use it and I'll make you a deal. The guy I bought it from never got it installed.

Tags
converter charger, lithium battery