Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #11

SFI = Sequential Fuel Injection is what the acronym stands for but I don't know any more about it than that. Still, it gives you something to search on.

Something else you might try is contacting GM and see if they can direct you to a website or other info on your specific VIN.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #12

@Crabman - Your information was extremely helpful.

So, If I have the correct information on my truck, which I'm still not 100% confident since I didn't find it on a GMC website or on my vehicle, but, assuming it's correct.

11000-20% = 8800 GVWR so we should be ok with the 25BHS in that case, correct?

sguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguzman View Post
@Crabman - Your information was extremely helpful.

So, If I have the correct information on my truck, which I'm still not 100% confident since I didn't find it on a GMC website or on my vehicle, but, assuming it's correct.

11000-20% = 8800 GCWR so we should be ok with the 25BHS in that case, correct?
No, the weights I referred to with the 80% rule was your vehicles tow rating, which according to your last post is 5700lbs. So you would take 80% of 5700 using this formula to determine how much your loaded and ready for camping trailer can weigh. The GCWR or Gross combined weight rating is the maximum weight that your truck combined with your loaded trailer can be. So truck plus trailer plus occupants and cargo could weigh no more then 11,000 lbs TOTAL.
All these figures suggest the 25BHS is too much trailer for the truck IMO.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote from sguzman
."This is wayyyy too many numbers for my brain to comprehend. I wish someone could just tell me, don't buy a trailer that has a GCWR more than ???? and you'll be fine or even give me a few factors to consider. I'm a pretty bright person and I'm pretty good in math, but gosh....I guess it can't be as simple as that."

OK, I`ll try to simplify it with a number. Your tow rating is 5700 lbs, so your trailer, its contents, your passengers (with the exception of a GM allowance of 150 lbs for the driver), any cargo in the truck, any options you add to the truck, cannot surpass 5700lbs total for that particular vehicle you specified. With the 4.8 engine and 3.23 rear the tow rating is not very high like some other trucks equipped with larger engines and 3.73 rear axle ratios. I hope this helps to clarify.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #15

Thanks Crabman....That sounds horrible. I need to go back and look at the stats on the 26bh and the 28bhs although I do recall that the GCWR on both the 26bh and 28bhs were the same but that was at 7500. I'm wondering if we shouldn't even be pulling our 26bh or 28bhs, for that matter. Ugh! I need to go make dinner. Maybe my brain will be refreshed when I return. Thanks for the info. It's been enlightening, to say the least.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Sguzman,

Excellent research on your TV, now we have factual information to work from. Crabman did an excellent job of sorting through all the numbers, so I hope I don't add any confusion to the discussion .

Just a couple clarifications:

* GM RPO Code of "GU5" = 3.23 Gear Ratio (http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/96transam/rpocodes.html).

* GCWR of 11,000lbs: As Crabman stated that is the "maximum combined weight" that your TV and TT can weigh. The 80% rule doesn't get applied to this number.

* Tow Rating: The "published" Tow Rating for your TV is 5,700lbs, but this rating is based on the "curb weight" of your TV. The combined weights of any TV options, TV passengers, and TV cargo must be subtracted from the "published" tow rating to get your "actual/real" tow rating (https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=3866).

* 80% Rule: This is a ballpark approach to sizing the maximum GVWR of a TT to a specific TV when only the published tow rating is known. By taking 20% from your 5,700lb tow rating leaves you with 4,560lbs, so by using this method you shouldn't purchase a TT with a GVWR that exceeds 4,560lbs.

Basically the 20% that was removed accounts for the combined weights (ball park) of the TV options, TV passengers, TV cargo.

* Payload of 1,913lbs: The combined weights of the TV options, TV passengers, TV cargo, and the loaded TT tongue weight can not exceed the payload weight.

* TT Tongue Weight: Please note that the loaded weight of any TT is subtracted from the payload/cargo capacity of any TV.

* The TT's loaded tongue weight is also part of the GVWR of the TV when in tow.

Limiting factors of your TV:

* 4.8L Engine/3.23 Gear Ratio (great for the highway, not ideal for towing)
* Limited Payload (as are most 1/2 tons)
* Actual Tow Rating (is what-it-is)

My recommendation:

Since you already have the TV, confirm your TV's loaded weight to make sure that you aren't loosing some towing capacity with the 80% approach. Take your loaded TV (passengers, full fuel, cargo) to a CAT scale and weigh it....,the 2nd forum link I provided above references this process.

Another approach at the CAT scale is subtract your gross CAT scale weight from your TV's GCWR of 11,000lbs, the remaining is the maximum you can tow.

I based my response on your posted findings. Although a moot point, I did find the following data on your configured TV reflecting some different weights (if this is your TV): http://www.cars.com/gmc/sierra-1500/...=USB70GMT179F0

I hope this helps a little.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #17

Thanks so much for your help. Spoke to hubby and we had already decided that the next step was to definitely take TV to cat scale this week and run the numbers this way. We do know that we don't load much on the trailer and may load only 3 bicycles on TV but we don't know the weight of the TV with the options, etc. We'll start from there. Instead of upgrading, we may need to be downgrading for safety purposes. I'll need to start a thread on recommendations should that happen. We really wanted something that was good quality, especially the flooring, and that was going to be around for many years. Having walking room would be a plus.

Regardless, I'm so glad I did this research and so very thankful for your assistance. Will post more once we get the CAT scale weight.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguzman View Post
snip...... Will post more once we get the CAT scale weight.
Look forward to your CAT scale findings.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote