Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

Upgrading Whitehawk 13,500 a/c to 15,000BTU

Hi all,

My 2012 Whitehawk 26SRK's air conditioning has problems keeping up with cooling when temps are up in the 90's. Funny I should be worried about this when its 3 degrees outside..but none the less, I'm considering replacing the 13,500 unit with a 15,000.

All my paperwork is with the trailer in storage and Jayco's site is of no help with any equipment details.

My question is directed at someone that has the 15,000 unit on a Whitehawk. What is the make and model number of your a/c unit? My dealer is 1.5 hours away and this is clearly something within my skill set to change out. I know I'll be able to find one online at a good price.

Any assistance with info is appreciated.

Mike

Mike & Theresa, Madison, WI
2012 Jayco White Hawk 26SRK
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost FX4
Fatfenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #2

Hi Mike. Just looked thru paperwork that came with my WH

Manufacturer is Airxcel, and at the bottom of the front page it says
"Designed and Manufactured by the makers of Coleman MACH air conditioners"

Model #8330 633 This is the ceiling assembly
It is designed for 47200, 48200 or 49200 air conditioners.

Probably should check your ceiling assembly model before getting a new a/c to make sure of proper match.

My 15k unit has worked just fine in 95 degree heat. However, when it is that hot the voltage in our favorite camp ground, Dreher Island St Park in SC tends to drop down to less than 110 volts at times.

Also a great addition would be a digital thermostat which will keep your heating and a/c within a one degree range. Coleman digital thermostats are available from Amazon for about $70. It is a direct replacement to your analogue thermostat and will take you less than 10 minutes to swap out.

2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
Hi Mike. Just looked thru paperwork that came with my WH

Manufacturer is Airxcel, and at the bottom of the front page it says
"Designed and Manufactured by the makers of Coleman MACH air conditioners"

Model #8330 633 This is the ceiling assembly
It is designed for 47200, 48200 or 49200 air conditioners.
This is the same ceiling assembly I have, so were on the right track.
Probably should check your ceiling assembly model before getting a new a/c to make sure of proper match.

My 15k unit has worked just fine in 95 degree heat. However, when it is that hot the voltage in our favorite camp ground, Dreher Island St Park in SC tends to drop down to less than 110 volts at times.

Also a great addition would be a digital thermostat which will keep your heating and a/c within a one degree range. Coleman digital thermostats are available from Amazon for about $70. It is a direct replacement to your analogue thermostat and will take you less than 10 minutes to swap out.
The thermostat is one of the first things I replaced. If I recall correctly, I have a Honeywell. It was around $30. One downside, only can use one fan speed until I add another switch. The upside...I can run the furnace fan when the a/c is on.

My preliminary assessment is that I need Airxcel's Coleman Mach 15 model # 48204C966. This part I need to confirm yet. I would say this will be a nice upgrade for under $700/delivered...

Any additional help is welcome.

Lets go !

Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #4

If I understand this correctly... @fatfenders you posted:
The thermostat is one of the first things I replaced. If I recall correctly, I have a Honeywell. It was around $30. One downside, only can use one fan speed until I add another switch. The upside...I can run the furnace fan when the a/c is on.

I assume this means you can run the furnace fan only to circulate air
with the A/C on, but the furnace heat stays off. Correct?

I'd be interested to know more about this along with the additional switch for the other fan speed.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
If I understand this correctly... @fatfenders you posted:

I assume this means you can run the furnace fan only to circulate air
with the A/C on, but the furnace heat stays off. Correct?

Regardless of the heat or cool mode selected, the fan switch controls the furnace circulation fan. So when "on", I can circulate air with or without having either the a/c or furnace running. Obviously, on the heat position, the furnace heats when it hits the set point.

I'd be interested to know more about this along with the additional switch for the other fan speed.
The original thermostat had a high/low fan switch on it. When I replaced the thermostat, the new fan switch is "auto/on". To utilize both fan speeds, I need to add a small SPDT toggle switch in line with the "auto/on" switch so I can select "high/low" in addition to the "auto/on" the thermostat provides. Did that make sense?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfenders View Post
Regardless of the heat or cool mode selected, the fan switch controls the furnace circulation fan. So when "on", I can circulate air with or without having either the a/c or furnace running. Obviously, on the heat position, the furnace heats when it hits the set point.

The original thermostat had a high/low fan switch on it. When I replaced the thermostat, the new fan switch is "auto/on". To utilize both fan speeds, I need to add a small SPDT toggle switch in line with the "auto/on" switch so I can select "high/low" in addition to the "auto/on" the thermostat provides. Did that make sense?
Yup! Perfectly. Thank you. I was looking for a MOD that would allow the furnace fan to circulate air with or without the furnace running. You nailed it!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote