Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
If your inline fuse holder is like mine I wouldn't even call it moisture resistant and it has a steel spring for one of the contacts. Mine was badly rusted and needed cleaning. I later got a waterproof holder from a marine store.
Mine did not have an in line fuse, but an internal auto reset circuit breaker. Just a bare wire to the battery+, I did put a toggle switch in line, because I broke the extend/retract rocker switch and it was jammed in the retract mode.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #22

I'm on my 3rd jack, now I keep it covered 24/7..Use a brown small trash can from the $ store and a bungee cord
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #23

Tongue Jack

My jack was making crazy noises after a rain and didn't want to move. Got home, took it apart and was full of water. Cleaned dried and put new grease and works great. Also bought a jack cover and put on it. Keep water out and it will last.
steve.jurnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #24
Site Team

After going through several different head covers, that came apart over one or two seasons or less, we bought one of these to try. It's a little large, but seems to be tougher than all the rest. Time will be the judge on this one.

https://www.amazon.com/MMonDod-Water.../dp/B07C7N364T

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #25

I have had the same problem with 2 different trailers, same fix. replace the switch. water got in , if you are lucky. work the switch many many times and it may work for awhile. you can buy a new switch far cheaper than a new jack, and keep it dry
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #26

That’s just like what I have and perfect for 3+ years already, but I put a latge ziplock over the motor before the pull string bag.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #27

Doesn't the jack connect straight to the battery as well? If the battery is 3 years old, perhaps its discharged (Op said hasn't really be used - trailer) perhaps batteries badly discharged, charged back up but can't provide the amps outside a few seconds to move the jack. Let the converter/charger hit the battery up for a few seconds and its got a few more amps to push again.

Don't all the electrical jacks also have a rubber top that pops off and you can use an attachment or socket to manually move? I know my last trailer did.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #28

All the jacks should have a rubber plug I would think on top for the manual crank and they should be hooked straight to the battery, now an inline fuse is not always the case. Some have internal auto reset circuit breakers.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:21 AM   #29

Electric tongue jacks

Probably have to replace that electric jack
You can crank them manually should be cover to pop off and use a tool if your sick of screwing around if you power and ground to it 12 volts then moisture intrusion ahh
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 07:05 AM   #30
Site Team

Don't forget to verify the wiring from the jack to the battery. many find the crappy inline fuse holders to get rusted and make enough connection to allow it to run slowly due to poor connections and corrosion.

I have replaced the fuse holder with a better grade bayonet type fuse. Keep a supply of fuses handy.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:28 PM   #31

Thank you all for taking the time. There is no fuse that I can locate. The two mobile RV repair places I phoned both had long wait times. Both said the symptoms were odd but probably the motor is dead, which is what I thought most likely as well.

Hand cranking for now. Not too bad to deal with but I did get a small muscle pull in the chest. I'll swap for a new jack when we get home. Just one more hook up then a stop and go till home.
StevePowerTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:39 AM   #32

My Lippert jack had a bad switch, which did similar to what you described. the contacts on the switch were corroded. I was able to order a switch and replace it, which was cheaper than a new jack.

Check to see if the switch is bad or corroded. Only way to do that is to open up the hood on the jack and look. Won't help you now (use the manual crank) but might help diagnose and fix it.
2013 Ford F150 Lariat EcoBoost Max Tow
Blue Ox Sway Pro
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:46 AM   #33

Looks like you are going to replace the jack. this is probably the easiest thing you can do yourself.

Jack up the tongue far enough to safely support it without the jack. Do not use your leveling legs for this. Remove the battery wire from the battery. With a good wrench remove the three screws or bolts that hold the old one onto the tongue. Place the new one on the holes and bolt it back down. Check the bolt holes and make sure to remove rust so you get a good ground. After tightening the bolts run the wire to the battery with zip ties and connect it. Check it works by going up and down and turning on the light. Lift it off your supports and you are DONE.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #34

Look at the Bulldog line of tongue jacks. They are pretty good, made by Reece.
Old 08-20-2021, 06:24 PM   #35

In an emergency. Go buy a cheap floor jack from harbor freight. To use as a tongue jack till you can get back home to find a permanent fix
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePowerTX View Post
Thank you all for taking the time. There is no fuse that I can locate. The two mobile RV repair places I phoned both had long wait times. Both said the symptoms were odd but probably the motor is dead, which is what I thought most likely as well.

Hand cranking for now. Not too bad to deal with but I did get a small muscle pull in the chest. I'll swap for a new jack when we get home. Just one more hook up then a stop and go till home.
There probably will not be an inline fuse, but inside the head unit, there will be an auto reset circuit breaker with the main incoming power wire split to the switch.