Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2023, 07:23 PM   #1

USB Charging ports

Hi All,

I would really like to hear folks' experiences with installed and aftermarket USB power charging/power outlets.

My 2022 183RB did not come with any ports installed which, I think, is pretty behind the times considering that they have been stock features in cars and trucks for well over 10 years.

I want to install several USB power ports in the trailer but with the higher power devices and charging capabilities, especially of USB C, I wonder if others have found the heat generated to be a concern. I am considering using USB A outlets with USB C adapter cables to limit the power and power dissipation and related heat buildup.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:06 PM   #2

Do you boondock? If no, consider installing outlet inserts, that have usb ports.

I like to boondock, and I installed 12v aux outlets around the tt. I just plug in 12v USB adaptors where needed. As new technology develops I can upgrade easily.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Do you boondock? If no, consider installing outlet inserts, that have usb ports.

I like to boondock, and I installed 12v aux outlets around the tt. I just plug in 12v USB adaptors where needed. As new technology develops I can upgrade easily.

We camp at serviced sites in the middle of winter when we can't get into places we like to go that are unserviced. If we have AC power we can plug in power cubes as needed into ac receptacles.

I only have one installed dc outlet (cigarette lighter type). Those type are quite versatile and we have a 12VDC TV but I'd like to install some charging modules beside the bed for phones and tablets. I am concerned about the heat generated by high power USB C power points, especially since most are cheaply made and maybe not particularly safe. The USB C adapters that plug into the lighter style outlets are mostly lower power and wouldn't be a problem but also wouldn't quick charge phones either.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:05 AM   #4

I have installed several 12v USB outlets in our rig and have no problem with any heat from them. 2 are the simple surface mounted type and one is flush mounted. If you are worried about power draw when not in use, you could always just install a switch in the circuit to turn them off.

One quick note: I would try to get ones that do not have a "power light" or indicator light on them. They are just another draw and are an annoying source of bright light if installed near the sleeping area!

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:43 AM   #5

I prefer the cigarette lighter adapter route as well. There is no annoying 'night light', it can be unplugged making the circuit open so no draw unless you're actually using the adapter, no unattended heat generated.
Also if you do go the hard wired route make sure you not only wire it correctly but the usb actually fries if lightning is near or the poles reversed. annoying if you went to a lot of trouble to install and you have to replace.
Lazierfan is offline   Reply With Quote