Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #1

Use all the water in my dual tanks by tapping into low point drain?

On July 4th on our family's maiden voyage with our first TT ever, a used 2011 Jayco RD19, we ran out of water after one day. The dual water tanks were full when we left for two night's of boondocking. At the campsite the water pump was sucking air and both water tanks were one-fourth full. I have now educated myself about problems owner's have been having with water spilling out enroute to their destination and the various ways they are mitigating that.

My plan is to route the water pump hose directly to the low point drain instead of relying on the side tank pickup.

That way, most of the water gets used. Nowhere on line have I read about this solution. I will use a 1/2 " tee just upstream of my low point water tank drain.

Happy to be a new member, and I am curious about what your thoughts are...
HankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #2

That's how mine (28BHBE) is plumbed from the factory. The water pump pickup line is tee'd in just like you describe near the LP drain valves.

We don't boondock, so we only carry about 40 gallons (half capacity) or less for incidentals on the road and "just in case" CG has water problems. We also carry "bottled" water for drinking. At that level, I've never had siphoning problems. If I ever have to travel with full tanks, I'll put valves on the overflows so I can keep all my water.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

All I did was found a piece of tubing that fits inside the low point drain tubes. It connects them together after filling so I don't lose any water, and since the tanks have separate venting I can leave the drain tubes connected as I use water. Just have to remember to disconnect them the next time I fill.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

What am I missing??? Typically travel with less than 1/2 tank just for use while traveling but when I do go with a full fresh tank, I have never lost a significant amount of spillage. I know some can slosh out of the overflow but unless you're driving across the Baha I can't imagine loosing over half of a [2] tanks.

Where are you loosing water where messing with the low point drain lines solves the problem?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:22 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Not sure where or how I lost water.

All I know is that when the pump started to suck air, I could only have our family use the low point drain to draw potable water while we were boondocking.

When I got home, I saw that there is a good one quarter of tank capacity BELOW the intake hose to the pump.

With two tanks, that's about twenty plus usable gallons.

Since family members will be borrowing the trailer in August, I hope to run a line directly from the pump, down to a tee in the low point drain (which is behind the rear axle) to increase the "useable" capacity.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

Are you going to "T" into the low point drain or into the water tank drain?

The low point drain is on the pressure (output) side of the water pump and not on the input side. It's used to drain all the water out of the plumbing of the TT. If you "T" into the actual low point drain and connect your suction side to that you will have the input (suction) and output (pressure) sides of the pump tied together.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 PM   #7

Smile

[QUOTE=Hohenwald48;431901]Are you going to "T" into the low point drain or into the water tank drain?

The low point drain is on the pressure (output) side of the water pump and not on the input side. It's used to drain all the water out of the plumbing of the TT. If you "T" into the actual low point drain and connect your suction side to that you will have the input (suction) and output (pressure) sides of the pump tied together. [/QUOTE

I will "T" into the Aft water tank drain.

The tank drain fitting is on the underside of the tank and has a short 10-inch run to the bracket-mounted drain valve.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

Old thread, but what I think I'm seeing on my new-to-me Jayco is it looks like the Low Point drain is mislabeled. The sticker is near the freshwater tank drain valve, and the low-points are inside under the sink in the bathroom in the floor, with the red & blue drain pipes outside probably 4 feet left of the low point sticker.
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #9

The way to tell if it's "low point drain" or "water tank drain" is to turn on the water pump. Wait for it to build pressure. Then remove drain cap (water might spray so be ready). If it's the "low point drain" water will come out under pressure and pump will come on. If it's the "water tank drain" water will come out via gravity and pump will not come on.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote