Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

Used 2013 Whitehawk 27DSRL or new 2014 Whitehawk 27DSRL

Hi - the choice in the title has just come up yesterday. We returned back back from vacation to San Antonio and Jan 2 was the first day of their RV show. We had the time, so we went in search of a Whitehawk 27DSRL that we have been researching and would like to purchase. Anyway, there was not one at the show, but a Dealer had a new 2014 at their store 15 min away. So we went over there to look at the 2014 and decided that was the model we wanted based on research and this forum.

The show special price was RV show special $26,000 (can I say this on the forum?) with EQ hitch included. We spent a lot of time looking it over and liked it. However, we did not wish to spend that amount of money and left them our number.

So, this morning they called and said they "forgot" that they had a 2013 in real nice shape we could have for $6000 less. We prefer the used one anyway.

Well, we are going back to the dealer to look at it tomorrow morning so don't have much time for your comments. I suppose they will want a decision since someone at the show this weekend may want it.

But, if you could, we would like your input on the used 2013 vs the new 2014.

The NADA says this is a real good price for the used one. I don't think we lose that much with the 2013 - no awning lights are one thing (not a big deal), no power stabilizing jacks another (don't need them). It has the aluminum wheels and powered front jack.

Are there any differences that a savings of $6000 will smooth over?

Thanks in advance - John
Old 01-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

Price it out on RVDirect. You can do better than $26k on the 2014. You should be able to get that unit easily for $23k and for less with just a bit of negotiating. Get your price from RVDirect, and take that in to the dealer to match. Spec out the trailer online, and you'll have your e-mail quote from RVDirect in less than 24hrs. Remember, you should be able to get at least 28 - 30% off any new camper.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:30 PM   #3

mrp - thanks. Emailed RVDirect but will start at $20k with dealer and see where it goes. Will post results after our dealer visit tomorrow. Willing to do $3k more, not 6k.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #4

OP here - RVDirect came in with $21,900 with the options we wanted. So, thanks again mrp, we have a printout and will let you know what happens today. This might be a long process, but we are not in a rush.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:13 PM   #5

Glad to hear you have the info. you need to negotiate with the dealer. Many people on here used the RVDirect price to drive their negotiations. In our case, the dealer came in just about $900 more than the RVDirect price. After considering all the costs associated with a trip to an RVDirect facility from VA, we thought that was a good enough deal for us. We completed our negotiations with one phone call, two e-mails, and a trip down to their lot to complete the order (they didn't have trailer exactly as we wanted in stock). It took just just under six weeks for the build and delivery. So, seeing as you're in TN, and probably not going to be camping in the next two months, keep that in mind as an option as well.

We also got them to throw in the 4 pt Equalizer hitch installed for $250. They were carrying the Reese dual cam as an option but had stopped selling that hitch in favor of the Equalizer. They told me they one DC left, and I could have it for $250 (they wanted $500 for the Equalizer installed - still not a bad deal). Of course I agreed after researching the hitch, and they set it aside for me until the trailer came in. When the install time came, they realized it was missing a part. They apologized for the mix up, and said we could have the 4 pt installed for the same price.
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote