Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2013, 04:25 AM   #1

User reviews of model 197

Newbie here. My wife and I have been searching for a compact trailer. Almost bought an R Pod, but decided to keep looking. We have now found the 197 with slide. My question is does anyone on here own one or have any experience with that model?

Also, my tow vehicle is a Ford F150 4x4 and the trailer only weighs 3750 dry. Question is do I need a weight distribution hitch? The 197 hitch weight is 425lbs.

Thanks
Jma3910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #2

No experience with that model but I would still look into a WDH/sway bar just to be safe.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #3

Jma....

Hello, we bought a 2013 Jayco 197 and picked it up the end of August last summer. We used it a couple of times then put it away for the winter. The trailer is awesome. We are camping in it as I respond to your thread. We upgraded from a 2007 17 export. It is a perfect trailer for 2 or 3 people. After that it can get crowded. With the bunk option above the the queen size bed, it will sleep 5 using the dinette. The slide was the big selling point for us. It really opens up the floor space. If you do buy one, the only advice I have is really look over the trailer inside out and underneath during the pre delivery inspection. We had a minor issue with a few things and I fixed them during our first trip with it. I notified the dealer and Jayco sent me a check for correcting the problems. I did have to provide pictures and documentation though for that to happen. If there are problems, rest assured Jayco WILL stand behind their product.

As far as towing, your F150 will do fine. I tow ours with a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. Yes install the weight distributing hitch set up. It will tow nicely with it. If you have any other questions let me know.
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the response. We took the plunge and bought a new 197. We pick it up the end of June. Decided to go with the EZ lift WDH. We are now looking for all the good, bad, and ugly about packing/outfitting, the trailer. We are in NC and are planning our maiden voyage after the 4th of July.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jma3910 View Post
Thanks for the response. We took the plunge and bought a new 197. We pick it up the end of June. Decided to go with the EZ lift WDH. We are now looking for all the good, bad, and ugly about packing/outfitting, the trailer. We are in NC and are planning our maiden voyage after the 4th of July.
Cool! You will enjoy it. We are also camping the week after the 4th for 12 days. Did you order your 197 from the dealer? We did and had all the options installed except the oven and the electric tongue jack. The only thing I regretted not getting of the two was the jack. After reading reviews and threads on here I decided to purchase and install a Barker VIP 3000 electric tongue jack. After using it the first time this weekend I quickly realized it was a worthy purchase. If you are interested, I can send along some pics of our trailer and ideas of outfitting items you may want. Let me know. BTW....we are in Michigan.

Mark
Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Cool! You will enjoy it. We are also camping the week after the 4th for 12 days. Did you order your 197 from the dealer? We did and had all the options installed except the oven and the electric tongue jack. The only thing I regretted not getting of the two was the jack. After reading reviews and threads on here I decided to purchase and install a Barker VIP 3000 electric tongue jack. After using it the first time this weekend I quickly realized it was a worthy purchase. If you are interested, I can send along some pics of our trailer and ideas of outfitting items you may want. Let me know. BTW....we are in Michigan.

Mark
Please send your pics and info. We did get the electric jack and oven. Again thanks for your help.

John
Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #7

Hi Jma3910, did you see the you tube response about the 197 being a cheap man's Lance 1685 ? Wow not sure about that but my pocket book isn't scretching that far 25 to 30 thousand ? Before we bought our 165 R pod was at the top of our list but for us 20 thousand for something that small is not a reality. We do like Lance very much just not the price !
Chuckwagon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #8

Also shop your WD we probably spent at least a $200. or so extra going thru the dealer not good but being newbies we did not have enough info ? Lots to learn in the rv world.
Chuckwagon. is offline   Reply With Quote