Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #1

Using a bunkhouse trailer as a bicycle-hauler?

Hi! I've spent about a year considering a custom-van for some traveling before concluding that a travel trailer makes a lot more sense for my use-case (a few 1-2 week-long trips per year to bicycling and skiing destinations).

I'm trying to pick a trailer that is comfortable for two adults with room inside for bikes (these aren't bikes that can be left outside, even locked up). My thought is to try to modify a BH model, for example the 23BHM, to remove the bunks and use that space instead to fit 4 bikes and/or skis and ski gear.

Is this a modification that others have done and, if so, any tips? Is there a better option than the 23BHM for this purpose? I'm looking for something I can tow behind my F-150 3.5EB, and I think I'd prefer no slides just to keep things simple.

I appreciate any tips, and I'm sorry if this is not the right place for this question! I'm new to trailers, and a bit overwhelmed by the myriad options!
igxqrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #2

There are lots of small toy haulers that would fit the bill. There are also some bunkhouse models that have a short door that leads into a flip up bottom bunk. IMHO, these are made for bicycles.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:27 PM   #3

When we were looking for our 195RB we looked at some bunkhouse models. I saw one where the bunk could be moved up to the ceiling to make more room. The dealer also mentioned that there the lower bunk was removable also to make it all storage. Wish I could remember which one it was. Try calling a couple of dealers and asking about that feature.

PS We picked the 195RB so we could have a walk around queen to make it easier to get in and out of as our must have feature. No room in there for bikes.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum. Lots of helpful, friendly folks here.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

You have a good idea there. The only problem that I see is that when you want to trade or sell maybe put the things back in that you took out. Maybe you might be able to find other people that want to do the same as you, bikes, skies etc and they would like your trailer.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #6

https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...feather/24bhm/
The pack-n-play door is what I was referring to.
2x Honda 2K
Old 07-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #7

I think the 23BHM for the two of you is a good choice for many reasons.
Storage for bikes and other sports related equipment is a no brainer with your bunkhouse mod.
No slide out in a trailer has it’s advantages as your well aware of already.
This model has plenty of natural light and good for cross ventilation.
Bath is quite large and easy to hang wet clothing.
Kitchen area has a decent amount of room for food prep and cleanup and a big plus is that bank of drawers that many trailers don’t have.
You have a sofa when you need it.
Plenty of outside storage.
Room for extra beer when you travel over to Bend ( one of our faves )
And if your like us you really won’t dwell on resale value that much because all the use & convince your going to get from your portable home that in the end it owes you nothing!
That’s a lot packed into 23’,a real easy tow besides.

My only suggestion would be to add another 20 AMPS (marinco 200BBIW ParkPower) inlet to the trailer because you’ll be out from March till December and need a space heater + and that won’t take away from your 30 AMP service. You’ll never need to worry about power.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...feather/24bhm/
The pack-n-play door is what I was referring to.
What a great idea! I'd looked at the 24BHM and written it off because of the slide, but that access door is a fantastic feature. Now I'm wondering how hard it would be to add something like that to the 23BHM..
Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I think the 23BHM for the two of you is a good choice for many reasons.
Storage for bikes and other sports related equipment is a no brainer with your bunkhouse mod.
No slide out in a trailer has it’s advantages as your well aware of already.
This model has plenty of natural light and good for cross ventilation.
Bath is quite large and easy to hang wet clothing.
Kitchen area has a decent amount of room for food prep and cleanup and a big plus is that bank of drawers that many trailers don’t have.
You have a sofa when you need it.
Plenty of outside storage.
Room for extra beer when you travel over to Bend ( one of our faves )
And if your like us you really won’t dwell on resale value that much because all the use & convince your going to get from your portable home that in the end it owes you nothing!
That’s a lot packed into 23’,a real easy tow besides.

My only suggestion would be to add another 20 AMPS (marinco 200BBIW ParkPower) inlet to the trailer because you’ll be out from March till December and need a space heater + and that won’t take away from your 30 AMP service. You’ll never need to worry about power.
Thanks for the confirmation! The more I look at the 23 the more I like it, for all the reasons you mention.

I'm not too worried about resale; after looking at nicely equipped vans, the $25K for a trailer seems like a bargain. As you mention, if I get the use I anticipate, I'll consider it money well spent.

Your comment about additional 20-amp service is welcome -- I'd like to be setup for boondocking; this seems to add a fair bit of complication to the mix but a big part of the appeal for me is parking and riding where there are no hookups. Need to figure this bit out still.

Thanks all for the very helpful comments!
Old 07-23-2019, 03:56 AM   #10

There is also the x213 with the front bunk with pack and play door and the rear slide king bed. It has a sofa you don't have to convert back to a bed every night. Also, it is only 5500 ponds loaded.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #11

There's much I like about that X213. The storage area is probably a little tight though I'd have to see it in person. The shorter length is welcome. But I worry that slides are a headache, if not right away then down the line.

That said, I've never *had* a trailer, much less one with a slide. It may just be my inner-engineer who eschews perceived complexity. Maybe a bed-only slide would be less problematic as well?

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #12

If we’re being honest…
Boondocking with only 40G fresh, and 30G gray might not last too long.
Check these out…
https://dunesport.com/toy-hauler/build/bumper-pull
2x Honda 2K