Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #21

I used to trip the 30 amp breaker once in awhile if the AC cycled on while we had some other high draw device on, so I installed a soft-start kit in my 15K Coleman Mac AC unit, haven't tripped a breaker since. Easy install from the roof, took 15 minutes, and now the AC unit draws much less amperage on startup.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #22

well i just blew my 30amp fuse running the AC and microwave at the same time. on your fuse panel inside door it lists the breakdown for each item in the trailer and how many amps each uses. if you add extra appliances like coffee maker, ice maker just be sure you dont run alot of things that will exceed 30 amp service.
debl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #23

We watch what we use and when. Took a few tripped circuits to figure out we can't make coffee and run the electric heater at the same time.

Related, we always keep a small volt meter in the power strip by the kitchen so we know if the campground is giving us as much power as it should. If it ever goes below 106 we won't run anything with a motor or heating element. We also plug a tester/surge protector into the power post and plug the trailer into that. So far found only one bad post - reversed wired - and the tester paid for itself then and there.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #24

OP, don’t be confused by the answers you’ve been given. Some have answered based on the idea that you’re running on a generator. That’s going to be different situation versus running on park 30 amp service. You’re much more likely to run into power management issues running on a small 2K - 3K generator versus park power. Again, I’ve never had an issue running the A/C and one other high power appliance (microwave, coffee maker, electric grill) but add a third and I have tripped breakers.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #25

We have a Jayflight 24RBS travel trailer. The only problem we have had is using hair dryer/flat iron while the AC is running. I cut if off to run these items. Highly recommend investing in a good surge/voltage protector. We have been glad to have ours on a number of occasions. If we are in a campground where the usage is high(very hot weather) and they don't have sufficient power then we run the frig and hot water on gas.
Wade&Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #26

It’s usually only a problem if you had something like the microwave running and then tried to start the ac. Usually once the ac is running you shouldn’t have a problem. If you do shut the ac off for a few minutes while using another high power consuming device, be sure to keep it off for about 20 minutes to let the ac refrigerant pressures equalize before starting. If you don’t the compressor tries to start against a high head pressure and it will draw even more power and likely won’t start the compressor,

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I used to trip the 30 amp breaker once in awhile if the AC cycled on while we had some other high draw device on, so I installed a soft-start kit in my 15K Coleman Mac AC unit, haven't tripped a breaker since. Easy install from the roof, took 15 minutes, and now the AC unit draws much less amperage on startup.
I usually have not had problems using the microwave either but I also just installed a soft start so I can use my 2000 watt Yamaha genny. Plugged in to 30 amp service I don't anticipate any issues
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #28

Hmmmm. A/C [15K] on and cycling on and off as needed, fridge on electric and I can use the microwave [1000w] whenever I want too. 2012 Jayco Eagle 30 amp.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #29

I have a digital volt meter that stays plugged in all times. When something kicks on, one can see the voltage drop as the amps go up. You learn what is going to trip and at what voltage. Microwave at 30 amps with AC on trips. Sometimes hair dryer with AC on will trip. Idea about using gas for frig, and water heater is good. Hadn't even thought about that.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:36 AM   #30

AC on, Microwave (or hair dryer) tripping breakers

So, after reading all the suggestions and others experiences re: MW tripping the breakers while the AC is on too, I agree because this happens in my 23B Jayfeather Ultralite. However, I took a different route to permanently solve my reoccurring issue. I disconnected my AC from my internal breaker box and installed a new exterior mounted outlet just for it. So now I have a separate 20A cord plugged into the pedestal along with my 30A power cord that supplies power to everything else. A another benefit is during cooler weather I can use the optional "warming" heater that is inside the AC unit without issue. If anyone is interested, I can provide a few pics.
daveveen is offline   Reply With Quote