Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #1

Using Dicor on top of existing butyl tape re: Roof

My local dealer says don't use butyl tape and apply Dicor to exposed seams on the roof where butyl tape was used at factory - he honestly didn't believe that most of the roof seams (vent, skylight, bathroom opening, top seam) was sealed with butyl tape (see picture). So should I just Dicor where the some of the butyl tape has worn or go the distance and use Dicor over top of all the butyl to seal everything up. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Attached Thumbnails
2+DYqLT1SD2Csuk6bhDbQQ.jpg  
arcticlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #2

I have no idea why the picture is upside down! Sorry
Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 PM   #3

Use Eternabond tape, can use dicor on edges of tape just to make sure.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip - because the seams are covered with mounds of butyl, it would be harder to lay eternabond tape over top to create a weatherproof seam - it is nothing near flat - I think I would have to remove the butyl and that's seems like a huge venture.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #5

Hard to tell from the pic if that is indeed butyl tape. Also hard to believe someone would do that around the antennas and vent. I'm doing some roof repair right now and butyl tape is not at all difficult to remove. If it is butyl tape, I would remove it, clean the area, and reseal it with Dicor. Make sure you use the self leveling type for horizontal surfaces, not the non-sag type. You can also use Eternabond, but that works best on flat surfaces. I wouldn't try to apply it to surfaces that curve up like the vent or the antennas.
Kaliona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

arcticlife,

RV manufactures will apply Butyl putty tape "between" two surfaces as a sealer (ie: window frames, wall/roof/trim joints, etc.), I've never seen it used effectively as a "surface" sealer like a Dicor sealer product.

If that is Butyl putty tape on your roof I would remove it (Butyl should come off fairly easy), then apply Dicor self-leveling sealer or use Eternabond sealer tape.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:27 PM   #7

Isn't butyl black?
Wacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #8

You guys raised the same question I did, so I cut a piece off and examined it more closely this morning - you guys were right, it is not butyl it's discolored Dicor. It does feel like butyl, putty like, but it's Dicor that was applied in large amounts/strips and has taken on a dark gray appearance over the years. Suffice to say, I'm breathing a sight of relief! So Dicor touch ups I will do.

Thanks for chiming in so promptly folks as it encouraged me to re-check my initial findings. I've used Dicor before but the age, colour, texture and the amount applied threw me off - so now I know what it looks like after 7 years Had someone work the roof last year, and this is my second season with the trailer, and it's my first trailer. So really appreciate it - great forum, great people.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacki View Post
Isn't butyl black?
Butyl products come in various colors, chemical composition, applications, and descriptions (Butyl putty tape, Butyl tape, Butyl rubber sealer tape, etc..).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote