Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 PM   #11

I'm staying long-term (4 months) at a full hook-up CG. My trailer has two grey tanks: one for the bathroom sink & shower, and one for the kitchen sink. The bathroom grey tank fills up quickly - with showers, shaving, brushing teeth, washing hands, etc, so I leave it open all the time, to avoid having to dump every couple of days. Since I use paper plates, I only wash cutlery and pots/pans every couple of days, and I've found the kitchen grey tank fills at about the same rate as the black tank. So about every 4-5 days, I dump the black tank, rinse it with the black tank flush 3 or 4 times (until the water runs clear), then dump the kitchen grey to cleanse the line. That's what works for me!

Old 01-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #12

We close both for weekend stays so there is plenty of grey to clean the hose after dumping the black. I always add at least three gallons of water to the toilet afterwards. When full timing in the winter months the grey is left open until just before the black will need to be dumped. A shower or two will fill enough of the grey tank to do its job. Leaving the black valve open or even failing to add water after flushing the black tank can quickly lead to what has been described here as the dreaded Pyramid of Poop! As for the gauges, expect the black one to show 3/4 to full after a few trips. They are useless. Hold the flush lever down while looking into the tank. Use a flashlight if needed.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #13

[QUOTE=cekkk;264302]We close both for weekend stays so there is plenty of grey to clean the hose after dumping the black. I always add at least three gallons of water to the toilet afterwards. When full timing in the winter months the grey is left open until just before the black will need to be dumped. A shower or two will fill enough of the grey tank to do its job. Leaving the black valve open or even failing to add water after flushing the black tank can quickly lead to what has been described here as the dreaded Pyramid of Poop! As for the gauges, expect the black one to show 3/4 to full after a few trips. They are useless. Hold the flush lever down while looking into the tank. Use a flashlight if needed.[/QUO

I have found those last couple of sentences to be very true. However, in our fifth wheeler, looking down the toilet with a flashlight does not do much good. The toilet sits upstairs and the holding tank is below the basement so you are having to look down a long pipe and with water flowing in at the same time, makes it hard to judge anything. We mostly use the "wag" method of dumping.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #14

Leave both closed. Black tank for the previously stated reasons. Gray tank for odor control. If you leave the gray tank open sewer gas can come up the hose from the main line leaving you with a smelly area.
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #15

I can reach the dump from my slot at the storage lot so I like to come home with about 1/4 in the black. The drive will "stir things up" and a dump and rinse after parking seems to clean the tank pretty well.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Leave both closed. Black tank for the previously stated reasons. Gray tank for odor control. If you leave the gray tank open sewer gas can come up the hose from the main line leaving you with a smelly area.
Sorry to disagree, Sean, but both sinks and the shower have "S"-traps (just like in your house) to prevent odors from coming up through the sewer lines and into the trailer. Opening or closing the drain valves has no effect on odor control.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #17

We've never noticed any odor. As Brownie said, the p-traps prevent any. I do add grey tank lubricant rarely and an odor control chemical, also rarely, but I think it's mostly $$ down the drain!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #18
Site Team

Never leave your black tank open except to dump and then when it is almost full. Large OBJECTS will dry in a heap and cause major stop ups eventually. Otherwise known as the "Poop Pyramid"

Always travel with a couple of gallons in the tanks to prevent this.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
We've never noticed any odor. As Brownie said, the p-traps prevent any. I do add grey tank lubricant rarely and an odor control chemical, also rarely, but I think it's mostly $$ down the drain!
We were told we didn't need to add anything to the grey tanks when we bought the travel trailer. I wondered about this since when we bought the Fleetwood popup we were told to use a treatment for both tanks. We after nearly a summer of use, i'll spend the money and deorderize the grey tank.
BillMc
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #20

In my opinion there is no reason to deoderize the grey water...as others have said there are P traps that prevent any odor from coming in. All that is in the grey water is water soap and small food particles.

slabat is offline   Reply With Quote