Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #1

Using Gutter Above Awning

Hi ya'll! New member here, have taken our trailer camping twice. Not loving it yet, but there's a lot to address and get used to. One thing is that the awning gets wet when it rains, and is stained badly. (We bought it used.)

I read in a thread on this site that some use gutters to keep the awning dry while it is closed. I'd love more details but can't find it again.

Is the gutter permanently attached, or only placed while the RV is parked?
Joda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Team

It is attached to the rv and rolls up by some means. It is very difficult to keep it dry if it's parked outside.

Rainwater will wick in from the rolled up ends and mildew. Most take precautions to roll it up dry and open it to dry often. There are many ways to clean it also detailed on JOF.

It's a regular maintenance item with a rv.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #3

Welcome!

I "made" these covers. It seems cheesy, but it's cheap and it really works. It's not 100% fool proof but the awning stays pretty clean even after 6 months of storage, and almost no mold. We didn't use our trailer for 2.5 months over the summer and I put these on during that time. The awning stayed clean and looked as good as when I put them on. I did learn that for long term use I had to secure them with a long cable tie.

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/make-...protectors-rv/
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #4

Thanks Doc Brown! That makes sense and addresses Norty1's comment that water wicks in from the side.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #5

You want to make sure you roll it up the direction, otherwise it will collect water, dirt, and bugs.
Wyldink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #6

Try a dilute Clorox plus soap mixture to clean it. Some have recommended WetandForget brand to clean mildew/mold stains.
Spray Clorox and water, roll it up to keep it working and not dry out. Come back and check it in a few minutes, spray rinse and let dry. Works pretty well that way.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:15 PM   #7

I've used inverted vinyl gutters for several years. Here are my 'tricks' . You need to make sure that the gutter assembly is longer than your awning. If you use the coupling that they sell with them, don't forget to use pvc glue from the plumbing department to fasten it to at least one of the gutters. Don't cheap out and forget to buy end caps either. That's what keeps the water from entering the roll at the ends. When you make up your unit, make it at least a few inches longer than the awning at each end. Flipped upside down, the back edge is inserted into the gutter of the roof then push down to make a tight fit over the roll. The first time you do this, you may have get out the kitchen shears or tin snips to customize the part that goes over the frame at each end depending on the type of awning you have. I have a cover for my unit so that keeps everything in place but before that, I rigged a couple of bungees to make a hold down so the vinyl gutter wouldn't lift. Last I looked, a 10 foot section of gutter was around $5, the coupling $3 and the end caps the same. The awning protectors that you buy are around $120. They work also.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:30 PM   #8

Thank you Muckinfuss. I think a comment from you was the one I saw previously.

Tags
awning, gutter, mold, rain, stains