Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #1

Question Using scissors jack to level

I've searched hash and low for an easy way to level my Jayflight 24FBS. I had an idea today to raise the low side up with a scissors jack. I noticed on my dual axle there is a bracket in the middle of the wheels that hold the leaf springs. Does anyone know of that could be used to jack up the trailer? Either for leveling or to change a tire.
bobthesuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

The stabilizer jacks should not be used to lift the weight of the TT. A user here or on RV.net posted their experience with 3 bent stabilizers after the TT suffered a flat tire while the stabilizers were down. My owners manual states the TT should be lifted by the frame as close to the spring hangers as possible. I would not lift the TT by that bracket between the tires.

Pick up a set of Lynx levelers and after a few outings you will know how many stacks of levelers you need to just by looking at your level.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

Thank you for the info, and thank you for your service. My dealer made it abundantly clear to not use stabilizing jacks for leveling so no worries there. I have the Lynx levelers so I'll just keep practicing. I saw a post online on how to make air bag levelers. I'm still considering making some of those.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

If you bought the trailer new then you should read the manual for the stablizer jacks. It will tell you what you can do and what not to do. It may surprise you. Either lift in front of the wheels or behind the wheels, between the wheels is a pivot point that may not be able to handle the stress of lifting.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:55 PM   #5

Thanks Parcany

I wasn't planning on using the stabilizers for leveling. After reading the manual, I was convinced. I was thinking of a separate jack but thanks to the forum, I won't.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 AM   #6

Get yourself a good stick-on level that you can see in front for side to side. Rule of thumb on those is that every large mark is a 2 x 8 and half mark is 1 x 8 or one tire of dual axles on a 2 x 8.

It makes getting level side to side fast as you simply look at the marks and know exactly how high you need to lift the down side.

By lifting I mean boards under tires.

I have this on my king pin Camco RV Acculevel level - $19.99

There are hundreds of other smaller versions out there. The key is putting on when perfectly level.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #7

Wink

Thanks 3'senough

I like the size of that level. I never realized I could put one board under one tire for a smaller amount of lift. I'll try that. As you can probably tell I'm still novice at this stuff and I really appreciate this forum and all the suggestions I'm getting.

I also realized I could have asked my question differently. I think I confused people by the term scissors jack. I have power stabilizers so I don't use jacks for stabilizing. Live and learn I guess!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #8

Yeah sometimes you just need one tire to go up to get that right balance. I have created a couple ramps of differing thicknesses to get it right.

And personally I think it's best to start with the tires and then if you have to "fine tune" you can run a bottle jack or scissors jack up to the frame itself for more.

Also something to pay attention to, just when you think you have it level, you run the slide out and find your whole trailer leans that way. So you almost need to setup a little high on the slide side so when you run it out, then it levels out. I learned that the hard way after spending time and effort to get the trailer "Perfect" and then having to redo it once I put the slide out.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #9

Wow. Boy did you nail it about the slide out. I had the exact same thing happen to me! That's also a good idea about the fine tuning with a jack. I just have to find one that reaches high enough. My model has three metal steps just to get to the last step onto the inside floor.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthesuper View Post
Wow. Boy did you nail it about the slide out. I had the exact same thing happen to me! That's also a good idea about the fine tuning with a jack. I just have to find one that reaches high enough. My model has three metal steps just to get to the last step onto the inside floor.
Carry (2) 6 x 6 x 12" blocks for that.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

Yeah I hear ya. The trailer we traded in for this one sat MUCH lower. Of course a good part of the interior was taken up by the wheel wells! I need a taller ladder just to get up and clean out the gutters on this one!

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote