Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

Using TT restroom on the go

One of the reasons we upgraded to a TT from a pop up was to have our own restroom when camping. At our age DW and I don't like to hike in the middle of the night. Recently we have discussed using it while in route from site to site, but I hate to lug around a bunch of additional weight.

Does anyone have an idea or suggestion how much water you'd need in the Fresh Water Tank to accommodate 7-8 flushes before hitting a new site. Also how much water and chemicals need to be in the black tank to avoid any tissue issues.

Nasty subject but really would like to use our own facilities.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #2

Just want to add of course I am talking about when stopped for gas etc - not while rolling.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

We do it almost exclusively. In fact, we cook and eat in our trailer when on the road too, never a problem.

As for how much fresh water you need, that depends. My pump has trouble picking up water if the tank is less than 1/3 full. I usually put about 35 gallons in (80 gallon capacity). Alternatively, you could put a couple gallon jugs in the bathroom and use those; we have done that before too, works just fine. Something to keep in mind: We showed up to a CG once and they had a "boil water" notice in effect. I didn't want to put that water in my trailer through the city connection, so we used the on-board water that we brought in the fresh tank. For that reason, I always try to travel with my fresh tank at least 1/2 full. And I don't worry about the extra weight, it's just a cost of doing business IMO.

Depending on the size of your waste tank, you generally want to have 3-5 gallons in there to keep the dreaded "poo pyramid" to a minimum, and you don't want to skimp on flushing water when you need to do #2. Basically, just like you use it at your site. Same for tank chems you might use. The motion of the road will help slosh the existing water around in the tank, so that helps mitigate the build-up problems.

I say go for it. That's what it's there for!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Just want to add of course I am talking about when stopped for gas etc - not while rolling.
Ha ha. Of course! I usually travel about 1/3 of fresh water. I suppose you could put in as little as you want, just enough to get the water pump some suction.

We have used bottle water to flush with in a pinch....

In my opinion, about 5 gallons in the black tank when going down the road helps keep it shiny clean. 10 gallons in the fresh tank should be plenty for a pit stop. I don't think this would impact your weight noticeably.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #5

Like Camper_bob & hboy...

We add a minimum of 3-5gal into the black tank after dumping. We use the trailer and its bathroom on the road with no worries.

We start with our fresh water tank full ~90gal of soft water ("just a cost of doing business" ) and top it off when we have a source of water that seems better than average.

BTW, we flush (not just dump) the black tank at every chance and use no chemicals in the black tank. Occasionally, we dump dirty, soapy dish water in the black tank to keep organic stuff washed from dishes, pots, and pans out of the gray tank.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

Just 1 thing to keep in mind when driving with a partially full tank of water. It sloshes and can cause some undesirable handling effects.

However much water is needed so the pump doesn't cavitate plus 3 or 4 gallons for the road.... Should be too much of a burden.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #7

I'm thinking from these responses that about 15 gallons (10 in Fresh Water + 5 in Black Tank) X 8lbs = 120 X 15% adds at most only 18lbs to payload which was my concern not total weight.

Mike I hear ya on the sway but have great Equalizer WDH with sway bars for that so I think I'd be Ok there.

OldmanAZ - flushing Black Tank already part of our dump process when done, but appreciate the input. I do not use a lot of chemicals but like the smell good stuff.

You guys have encouraged me to give it a go on a trip from North of Dallas to OK City. Thanks all.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #8

Pack a few gallon jugs of water and just use those instead..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #9

I always have a few gallons in each dirty tank, it keeps the tanks healthy and things from drying on.

As for FW, we drain the tank. I have a 2 to 3 gallon watter jug we keep in the shower full of water. Use it for flushing, hand washing, simple cooking. The jug size ensures the weight is kept down.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Pack a few gallon jugs of water and just use those instead..
X2, I carry 2 one gallon jugs in the tub and always have 1 gallon in the car. #2 is always done before were on the road so #1 only uses a few ounces at each flush, it's just for the day.
PS: the gallon in the car is Tunces drinking water and she always goes outside, you know what I mean.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
One of the reasons we upgraded to a TT from a pop up was to have our own restroom when camping. At our age DW and I don't like to hike in the middle of the night. Recently we have discussed using it while in route from site to site, but I hate to lug around a bunch of additional weight.

Does anyone have an idea or suggestion how much water you'd need in the Fresh Water Tank to accommodate 7-8 flushes before hitting a new site. Also how much water and chemicals need to be in the black tank to avoid any tissue issues.

Nasty subject but really would like to use our own facilities.
7 to 8 flushes seems like a lot of bathroom action just going from one site to the next unless you're in Afghanistan.
Realistically, if you don't have to stop for fuel in the time frame where you guys are using the toilet 8 times, you have a lot more road stamina than anyone I know. but fair question regardless.

If you are only going #1, with a rare #2 (we won't discuss the dreaded number 3) You'll be fine with a gallon jug of water sitting in your bathtub and you can 'manually flush' with that. I travel with tanks empty as much as possible for logistical reasons. I want my black tank close to dry as reasonable when I setup camp because dumping my tanks is usually the first, and only reason I need to move my camper before I want to move it. No problem having 5 gallons in your fresh water tank just for good measure, It's all going to get used anyways.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #12

We travel with FULL FWT. We have been to several campgrounds and found out the water was "nasty". This can be "boil water advisory" or perfectly clear water that tastes like silt to water that is just unfit to drink or even smell. We usually have a flat of bottled water with us as well for drinking at night.
I think it is mostly because we boondock camp pretty much exclusively. 700lbs of extra weight is as others have said "just the cost of doing business). The 3500HD don't care about the weight. And I doubt the gas mileage difference would be enough to outweigh the peace of mind a "full tank" gives us.

Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
We do it almost exclusively. In fact, we cook and eat in our trailer when on the road too, never a problem.

As for how much fresh water you need, that depends. My pump has trouble picking up water if the tank is less than 1/3 full. I usually put about 35 gallons in (80 gallon capacity). Alternatively, you could put a couple gallon jugs in the bathroom and use those; we have done that before too, works just fine. Something to keep in mind: We showed up to a CG once and they had a "boil water" notice in effect. I didn't want to put that water in my trailer through the city connection, so we used the on-board water that we brought in the fresh tank. For that reason, I always try to travel with my fresh tank at least 1/2 full. And I don't worry about the extra weight, it's just a cost of doing business IMO.

Depending on the size of your waste tank, you generally want to have 3-5 gallons in there to keep the dreaded "poo pyramid" to a minimum, and you don't want to skimp on flushing water when you need to do #2. Basically, just like you use it at your site. Same for tank chems you might use. The motion of the road will help slosh the existing water around in the tank, so that helps mitigate the build-up problems.

I say go for it. That's what it's there for!
X-2 We do it that way all the time when traveling. We usually put in about 20 gallons of water in the water tank and about 5 gallons in the Black tank with the drop in packets.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #14

The only chemicals I have put in my toilet were the ones given to me at the PDI, basically 4 bottles for sample use.

I think they are a waste of time and stain everything blue.

Don't waste your money

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #15

Just my biased opinion; long ago I determined that it took about 15 min to fill my fresh water tank. For road travel emergencies I decided on a 3 min. fill. To this date I don't believe I've ever used it once. YMMV.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 AM   #16

“7 to 8 flushes seems like a lot of bathroom action just going from one site to the next unless you're in Afghanistan.”

Bansai, you made me laugh. I love my portable potty and make very frequent pit stops between MT and NV. The OP didn’t say how far he is going between sites but in my case I think frequency has more to do with age then distance.
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:58 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
I think frequency has more to do with age then distance.
Nailed it right there.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #18

Bansai cracked me up too. It isn't the miles it is the age. In 30's could go from Maine to California with no stops. In 40's could go 2 states non-stop. In 50's could go 4 hours non-stop. In 60's I hope to get out of the subdivision!

I have decided to go with the several galloon jugs in the shower idea with a few gallons already in the black tank.

As always this forum is a "pile" of good suggestions. My thanks to all.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #19

We do the same as many mentioned - about 1/2 full or less of water in the tank for using the toilet while traveling. Not having to use gas station bathrooms was a big benefit for my wife. We stop about every 1.5 hours or so for a break. Since I've been told it's not wise to travel with the pump power turned on I added a pump switch (in series) in the bathroom so I don't have to unlock both doors, climb in, turn on the pump, then climb back in and turn if off, etc. Small rocker switch on side of vanity so we can turn on the pump while in the bathroom then turn it off when done. I really don't think there is much risk to leaving the pump power on while driving but decided to do it anyway just in case.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #20

Doesn't anyone camp where there are no hookups any more? I know they do, because the national forest campgrounds fill up every weekend all summer long, and I've never seen one with hookups. At best they have a well with a manual pump. We fill up at home, then no worries for 5 or 6 days. That's on a 42 gallon tank. I also take a 5 gallon can full for incidental uses outside the TT, or to add to the tank if we do run short.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote