Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2022, 02:41 PM   #1

Value????

Sad news to report: My 2020 Jayflight SLX 174BH was recently smashed by a delivery driver while parked in our driveway. Insurance still playing out but likely a total loss. This camper was awesome and perfect for our family. Major bummer.

Any idea what current market value would be? We bought it new 2 years ago and it’s in excellent condition.
briancny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:56 PM   #2

That is a bumber!

I would start with a Kelly Blue Book.

Then I would start a google search for used ones that match yours. Find as many as you can. Grab the top 3 priced units you can as comparable. I understand a lot of insurance companies do the same, but they grab the lowest priced ones as a comparable.

Last summer we did an insurance review. I was happily surprised what our insurance agent stated the payout would be for ours if it was totaled.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #3

Check these sites:

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2020/...174-BH/6589989

https://www.rvtrader.com/Jayco-Jay-F...=174BH%7C36124

Sorry about your loss. The insurance companies tend to low ball on payouts. Also, due to the possible down turn in the RV Market right now, they may really try lowballing you.

For help, show the insurance adjuster this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35405245954...p2047675.l2557

A year newer than yours, but it's a completed, fairly recent sale, for a comparison!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:30 PM   #4

So sad for sure. Just a couple thoughts I have:

I would contact your insurance company at this time if you haven't already. They likely will be able to tell you what it is worth, perhaps even cover the damages and submit the bill to the other insurance company.

2nd thought, while your insurance likely doesn't cover rental reimbursement, in this case it is the delivery companies insurance that is responsible and they are legally obligated to make you whole again. With that in mind, if they don't total it and instead give you an amount based on what their repair estimate is, be sure to tell them that you had plans to use your RV over the Summer and Fall and will need a rental while repairs are being made and will also need the costs of a flatbed wrecker to get it to a repair shop. This will motivate them a little more to total it if the costs are close.

3rd, don't forget any specifics, most NADA prices that I have seen ask about condition, be sure that they know yours was in excellent condition and any options yours may have above the standard RV's and even if there isn't any, yours was in showroom condition prior to being damaged.

4th, if you want to keep it even if they total it, it would be helpful to know from a reputable RV repair shop what they estimate the repairs would be. Sometimes with a totaled vehicle (could be different for an RV) you may find that you can repurchase it for a very low cost and then with the repair cost, still be ahead overall. This certainly depends on how damaged it is.

Feel free to share pictures, it is hard for me to imaging how fast the delivery driver would be going in a driveway in order to total your RV, or was it he ran off the road and was traveling the road's speed limit?

Also, I see you are new here (ah, not so new I see now, but new in regards to how many posts you have made), In any case Welcome to the Jayco Owner's forums, even under the circumstances you are under. ~CA
Old 06-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #5

I've been down this road. It's not pretty. First, your insurance is one of three: homeowners (not likely to cover), auto (covers even when disconnected), separate and or stated coverage (I've not met many who do this. I do now.)

Next issue, you have to file against the other company as a third party since their insurance doesn't name you. Long and drawn out process. You could enlist your company to pay you what they want to pay you, and then subrogate back to the other party. Worst of all possible outcomes.

Third issue, don't expect any value information to pertain to your situation. That's not how insurance coverage works unless you have a stated value policy.

In my experience, about 25% to 40% of what comes up in the NADA is where they get you to. Good Luck.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote