Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Vanity Relocation

Being that we are just a retired couple with one dog, not wanting to haul around a landyacht, or needing a rolling guest house, we bought a new Jayco 198RD TT last year. They classify this model as a "compact" but in actuality, it is the shortest double axle-4 wheeled (safest handling), standard 8' width, with standard 81" interior height that Jayco makes.

However, after experiencing the semi-inaccessible front corner queen bed, the location of the center kitchen directly across from the center bathroom (how potentially disgusting-we don't use the trailer's toilet but that of the RV park) and the miniature jackknife loveseat (will barely sleep a small dog), we have decided we need to either (1) do a remodeled 180 degree swap of the floorplan so as to switch the bathroom to the front and the front bed to the rear, deleting the loveseat and half the dinette. A fold-out sleep sofa could easily fit cross-wise along the back wall. (2) buy a new trailer with the desired floorplan, or (3) just live with it.

Money is tight of course and no dealer wants to offer a reasonable trade-in (I guess they knew what we know now !). We would suffer a double-whammy in this case.

Thanks for any comments, although most people will probably say buy a new or clean used unit if the finances can be worked out, otherwise just stay with it .
billnanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #2

This is just a classic case of you don't know what you don't know.

If you can't learn to live with it, then I suggest you sell private party and re-buy a slightly used unit.

We had to do to just this. When we looked at trading in a <2yr old TT we were offered $9k less than we paid, basically 50% of the original out the door purchase price, and the new unit was going to cost $6k more than we originally paid. Way to much spread in the dealers favor. So we sold private party for $4k less than we paid and found the unit we wanted used for less than our original purchase. It was the only way we I could come up with to get what we wanted without getting totally raked over.

Good luck.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:58 PM   #3

I think you will find remodeling a TT is not like remodeling a brick and mortar home. First the cabinetry is not a complete cabinet, but fronts and sides, the TT wall if part of the structure of the cabinet. I'm sure this is done in part, to save weight and cost. Also moving plumbing, electric etc will not be easy. And lastly but perhaps most importantly, moving things around will change the weight distribution of the rig. This would change tongue weight, handling etc. I'm sure it can be done, but it would appear from the outside to be a huge undertaking. I've built and remodeling scores of houses, not sure I would want to undertake this, and at least, would want to consult someone as to weight, and handling issues.

If you do undertake this, please post pictures and keep us informed..

Good Luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 PM   #4

WAGS999,

Your well thought out answer puts things totally in perspective. I could "remodel" and end up with a multi-thousand dollar piece of junk that would be unsellable.

Thank you ,

Bill/Nan

Bill/Nan
Old 02-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #5

My reply may have reached you already by direct e-mail , not on the Forum, so for the sake of the Forum's interested readers if any, I will say your point of view on my questions is absolutely correct. Sell privately and buy decent used unit maybe for less than the one I have now-that's what I'll try.

Thank you
Old 02-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #6

I would agree that a remodel would be a royal PITA to do, if you could even do it. And it'd probably cost you much in terms of money, time and frustration that it would be much better (and less stressful) to sell and get something else.

I found the floor plan by searching the Jayco site. It is a rather "interesting" plan, to say the least.

I'm wondering why the location of the bathroom and kitchen bothers you. I would assume you'd close the bathroom door while using it. And wash your hands before exiting the bathroom. And you would probably keep your bathroom far cleaner than one at the campground. At least you know you're the only ones using it and not upteen bazillion strangers. (Many of whom may not have their measles shots!)

Was this the only rig you could afford to purchase? If so, I guess you'd better start to learn to live with it. And carry lots of soap and towels with you! (And air fresheners!)

I do agree the bed looks to be hard to access. Is it possible to put a double bed in there to give you both more room to access it? Assuming, of course, you can both sleep in a bed that size.

Can you switch the sofa with a small recliner?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #7

This is why I always recommend that people rent a similar or same RV before buying.. what looks nice in the RV showroom is different in reality.. Use your bathroom for petes sake.. just remember to keep the black tank drain valve closed till the tank is near full.. then dump.. The bed.. I found it is easiest to climb in from the foot of the bed.. I now use both sides for storage one side has dirty clothes bags the other side vacuum etc
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
This is why I always recommend that people rent a similar or same RV before buying.. what looks nice in the RV showroom is different in reality.. Use your bathroom for petes sake.. just remember to keep the black tank drain valve closed till the tank is near full.. then dump.. The bed.. I found it is easiest to climb in from the foot of the bed.. I now use both sides for storage one side has dirty clothes bags the other side vacuum etc
It's hard to decide "what you need" if you have never RV'd before. I know our "needs" and wants have changed over the years. We even did two summers ( 4 -5 months each) on our Harley pulling a Lesure Lite Pop up.. It was great, had a ball...but "Been there done that" and we purchased an RV, actually from CrankyApe which is an online auction site, with many locations. It worked out well, was a great rig, but, again our "needs and wants" have changed. Hence our current unit.

Renting is a good way to figure out what you need or want, and what may work for your lifestyle.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:44 AM   #9

NW Cat,

Ever watch House Hunters TV show on HGTV ? That'll address this bath-kitchen issue in no uncertain terms, because almost every time the realtor shows a house where a kitchen and bathroom are visible to each other, or are in proximity to each other, the customer (usually wife) objects. So it is "location-location-location" as well as sensory perceptions that definitely matter where you have food prep and food "disposal" in the same area, especially in the confined space of a trailer. Of course we would wash, etc. but many TT lav doors bottom sill is 3 or 4 inches above the floor for ventilation--what does that tell you ? So it's gray water facilities used in the trailer, black water type facilities used (no contact) elsewhere. By the way, we seek out Good Sam parks, most of which have been really clean and decent AND we avoid RV parks that allow tenting.

Regarding trailer size, model or type; in the last 16 or so years we have had a (Terry) fiver and 3 larger (Jayco ) TT's. But this time around we wanted ease of towing (with our new F150 5.0L V8) and handling with less bulk AND we wanted 180 degree vision out of the TT box. Fewer and fewer non-luxo TT models now have a front window or a rear window and this 198RD has a beautiful 3 sided rear lounge window arrangement
so you can see out of 3 sides and have plenty of light. That's what sold us !

Now about the bed, if you look at the 198RD floorplan, you will see that the trailer queen bed is crosswise,
butting up against a wardrobe at one end and the street side wall on the other end. You couldn't walk around this on the front or sides unless you get a shorter as well as a narrower bed. TT beds are already minimally sized so that wouldn't help. (Wife sold higher end furniture for 14 years ).

The tiny love seat "sofa" is PARALLEL to the street side wall and is jammed between the reefer and the trailer back wall , so it is is in the way of a pullout fouton or sleep sofa that could be placed CROSSWISE under the rear window allowing for an almost 8 foot long bed. That is the reason to eliminate the sofa, not that it is uncomfortable to sit on.

Hope this clarifies things and thanks for your interest. Sounds like a different rig is the way to go.